WRESTLEMANIA 27 card- Confirmed+Rumoured

ligerbomb

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tonight they confirmed Snooki, Trish Stratus and John Morrison vs. Lay-Cool and Dolph Ziggler in a mixed tag at WrestleMania.

At first I thought "great, Ziggler and Morrison having to take a backseat to the celebrity involvement".

However, this is as good a place on the card that the two could have at this stage in their careers. When clips of the match are shown on the non-wrestling TV show around the world, it'll be John Morrison and Dolph Ziggler who are having their names mentioned in the same sentence as Snooki.

Tonight they confirmed Snooki, Trish Stratus and John Morrison vs. Lay-Cool and Dolph Ziggler in a mixed tag at WrestleMania.

At first I thought "great, Ziggler and Morrison having to take a backseat to the celebrity involvement".

However, this is as good a place on the card that the two could have at this stage in their careers. When clips of the match are shown on the non-wrestling TV show around the world, it'll be John Morrison and Dolph Ziggler who are having their names mentioned in the same sentence as Snooki.

I think Morrison and Ziggler are more than deserving of a more prominent and important 1 vs 1 match on this show. They've both had great years, are at the stage now where they're knocking on the door of the main event scene, and are the two most capable of putting on a great match in terms of 'workrate' and athleticism. They're more than worthy of being given 15 minutes of a 4hr show all to themselves, instead of what we're inevitably going to get - a throwaway novelty/comedy match where they'll get about 5 minutes in-ring to hit a few of their spots.

I take on board what you're saying about mainstream exposure, but i don't think that's particularly meaningful to them when they haven't even established themselves as main eventers yet.

I was quite adamant about not wanting another tired old MITB, but if this kind of thing is the alternative, i now wish they did go with it.

My train of thought here is that coming out of 'Mania, it's going to be The Miz, John Cena and Alberto Del Rio taking up all of the spotlight in the main event scene.

I'm sure if there was a straight one-on-one match at Wrestlemania, we'd have forgotten about it within a month or two of the show having taken place. As strongly as Morrison and Ziggler have been booked, I think that by having 4 'newbies' taking up the main event slot at the same time is a bit of overkill. At least being in the annual celebrity match slot, their match will have a bit more lasting power in people's minds.

I completely agreed with what somebody said on here about it being a one-on-one match with the number one contendership for the WWE/World title up for grabs, even perhaps a MITB type deal. However, if Snooki is as big in America as people seem to make out, this match will be the best place to put Ziggler and Morrison on the card on the night.

I do agree that they're both on the verge of bona fide main event status, but to have Del Rio, Miz, Ziggler and Morrison all looking for space within the main event bracket is a bit too much. That's before you take into account all the other main eventers, Edge, Orton, Cena etc. I think that WWE should pull the trigger through the summer, seeing the two of them headlining Summerslam would be good.

My train of thought here is that coming out of 'Mania, it's going to be The Miz, John Cena and Alberto Del Rio taking up all of the spotlight in the main event scene.

I'm sure if there was a straight one-on-one match at Wrestlemania, we'd have forgotten about it within a month or two of the show having taken place. As strongly as Morrison and Ziggler have been booked, I think that by having 4 'newbies' taking up the main event slot at the same time is a bit of overkill. At least being in the annual celebrity match slot, their match will have a bit more lasting power in people's minds.

I completely agreed with what somebody said on here about it being a one-on-one match with the number one contendership for the WWE/World title up for grabs, even perhaps a MITB type deal. However, if Snooki is as big in America as people seem to make out, this match will be the best place to put Ziggler and Morrison on the card on the night.

I do agree that they're both on the verge of bona fide main event status, but to have Del Rio, Miz, Ziggler and Morrison all looking for space within the main event bracket is a bit too much. That's before you take into account all the other main eventers, Edge, Orton, Cena etc. I think that WWE should pull the trigger through the summer, seeing the two of them headlining Summerslam would be good.

You're reasoning is certainly logical and in the medium to long term, I agree it won't do Morrison or Ziggler any harm at all. I tend to be a bit more short sighted in that respect though, i just want to see them put on as good a show as they possibly can from a wrestling/entertainment perspective.

Wrestlemania only comes along once a year, it's a special event, and everybody has their working boots on if they get the chance to have an important, 'serious' match. These days, if you're going to have a good, balanced show, you really need something spectacular to stand out. And because the card so far looks to be seriously lacking something with that kind of potential, Morrison and Ziggler would've had the best chance of providing that imo. It looks like it's going to be a particularly poor show for fans of the athletes and highflyers.

I feel that if you get the chance to go with something that has a lot of potential at Wrestlemania, and there's nothing similar already booked, you shouldn't waste the opportunity. Who knows what the future holds. Even if Morrison/Ziggler weren't going to be elevated by it and were still going to remain in that spot between IC and World Title level through the summer, i still think it's worthwhile giving them a one on one match for the benefit of the show as a whole.

I also just generally don't like mixed tags ever since the first one i saw at WM6 which was a mess but could have been ok as a one on one. I think the only one i ever liked was Summerslam 98, but that was only because Edge was new and was a mystery patner. I'd have no problem with it if it was something like Santino and Chavo in it to bring the comedy, but i think it's an awfu waste of two of the hottest guys on the roster.

I suppose they could still run with a MITB if they wanted to. They still have the likes of Christian, Kingston, Bourne, Truth, Henry, Swagger, Bryan, Sheamus etc. not doing much and Benjamin hanging around, but if they were going with that, you'd have imagined Morrison would have been the focus of it.

Without a doubt I'd personally prefer to see Morrison and Ziggler squaring off at the biggest stage of the year than to see them in this mixed tag match. I was also hoping that we'd see a huge Wrestlemania-sized John Morrison spot, after what we saw at the Rumble and the EC PPV. I am gutted that they're not having a MITB match this year after it's become such a tradition, the gimmick match was created for guys like Morrison.

So... to liven up discussion these guys don't have matches yet, there are 7 matches officially confirmed for Wrestlemania, while there were 10 last year.

Anyway here they are;

Kofi Kingston, Daniel Bryan, Evan Bourne, Sheamus, Drew McIntyre, Big Show, Kane, Heath Slater, Justin Gabriel, Wade Barrett, Ezekiel Jackson, Mark Henry, Santino, Kozlov, Christian.

Obviously the lesser guys like Yoshi Tatsu don't have matches, but they aren't prominent on any shows apart from Superstars so they don't really need to be there. So what would you do with the rest?

Now also the Corre will probably face Big Show and Kane, so I reckon you could have all 4 of the Corre vs Kane, Big Show, Kozlov and Santino in what could be a fun multiman match.

Christian I doubt will be wrestling, but judging by Smackdown will no doubt have a big role to play in the main event.

What I'd like to see personally is a match 4/5/6 way for both the Intercontinental and United States Championships, make it 2 falls, 1st wins the US title, 2nd the IC a la the Triple Threat at Wrestlemania 2000. So make it Kofi, Daniel Bryan, Sheamus, McIntyre, Bourne and hell maybe even have Sin Cara there just for kicks.

Thoughts on what the rest of the card shall be?

They're more than worthy of being given 15 minutes of a 4hr show all to themselves

No they're not. They might be worth fifteen minutes on a lesser pay-per-view (though their 2009 borefests could suggest otherwise, but both have come on a bit since), but not this one. It's WWE WrestleMania, not Survivor Series, not Over The Limit, and certainly not ROH PervertMania. There wasn't time on last year's show for Rey Mysterio and CM Punk to have fifteen minutes, and they're wrestlers that people care about -- mind, if they'd shaved about fifty minutes off the Bret vs Vince iron man match, there would've been more space on the card.

As much as Morrison and Ziggler might do good moves, they're not exactly bursting with character or lighting crowds on fire. Vickie Guerrero would be doing 100% of the work in getting anyone interested in a match between the two of them. And any gains she'd make in that department would be counteracted by the inevitable god-awkward Morrison promos.

• Paid Members
They're more than worthy of being given 15 minutes of a 4hr show all to themselves

No they're not. They might be worth fifteen minutes on a lesser pay-per-view (though their 2009 borefests could suggest otherwise, but both have come on a bit since), but not this one. It's WWE WrestleMania, not Survivor Series, not Over The Limit, and certainly not ROH PervertMania. There wasn't time on last year's show for Rey Mysterio and CM Punk to have fifteen minutes, and they're wrestlers that people care about -- mind, if they'd shaved about fifty minutes off the Bret vs Vince iron man match, there would've been more space on the card.

As much as Morrison and Ziggler might do good moves, they're not exactly bursting with character or lighting crowds on fire. Vickie Guerrero would be doing 100% of the work in getting anyone interested in a match between the two of them. And any gains she'd make in that department would be counteracted by the inevitable god-awkward Morrison promos.

I get what you're saying here...but considering the circumstances i disagree almost entirely. They're both in a similar position, having just flirted with the main event and the big titles and both of their big challenges (1st Raw of the year and Royal Rumble) were received favourably. Going into 'Mania they've both been pushed to the back of peoples minds and are now afterthoughts. Their match at 'Mania isn't about them at all. Which is crazy. They should have been given the chance to shine against each other. They should have been given a good build-up, developing from their momentum they was riding in January. They should have been given the chance to have more tv time in prominent roles to display what personalities they do both have and given a reason to be wrestling each other on the big stage and the fans a reason to care. Wrestling for #1 Contendership or future title shot would have been an apt enough reason considering their positions, recent history and the two guys wrestling for the WWE title at Wrestlemania. And as i said 1st Raw of the year and Royal Rumble showed fans are willing and ready to accept either challenging for the title.

No, they shouldn't just be given 15 minutes to have a match for no reason because they're not doing anything. But WWE should jumping all over establishing these two guys at this stage at their signature shows. And at this one, because it's Wrestlemania and not Survivor Series or Over the Limit. Wrestlemania is where new stars should be born and bleed over into the top tier and gain main event credibility. WWE should take a chance on not relying on Vickie heat. Dolph moving to Raw was the ideal opportunity to move him away from that and get established/make an impact on his own. Morrison has had nothing to do with Vickie and fans have reacted well to him at TLC, 1st Raw of 2011, Royal Rumble and Elimination Chamber. Had they been given good time at Wrestlemania and a good reason to be wrestling one another on the show where everyone (particularly guys at the stage of their career they are in) are looking to impress, with the right motivation they could be tearing the house down at Wrestlemania XXVII and it could be the turning point of their careers and the making of them both.

Why does it always have to be about moves and being work-rate perverts if someone enjoys someone like Morrison or Ziggler, wants to see them evolve and be given the chance to prove their mustard? That stereotype wank is so tired and lame and you are so often guilty of tarring people with that brush when it's not in the right context at all.

I get what you're saying here...but considering the circumstances i disagree almost entirely. They're both in a similar position, having just flirted with the main event and the big titles and both of their big challenges (1st Raw of the year and Royal Rumble) were received favourably. Going into 'Mania they've both been pushed to the back of peoples minds and are now afterthoughts. Their match at 'Mania isn't about them at all. Which is crazy. They should have been given the chance to shine against each other. They should have been given a good build-up, developing from their momentum they was riding in January. They should have been given the chance to have more tv time in prominent roles to display what personalities they do both have and given a reason to be wrestling each other on the big stage and the fans a reason to care. Wrestling for #1 Contendership or future title shot would have been an apt enough reason considering their positions, recent history and the two guys wrestling for the WWE title at Wrestlemania. And as i said 1st Raw of the year and Royal Rumble showed fans are willing and ready to accept either challenging for the title.

No, they shouldn't just be given 15 minutes to have a match for no reason because they're not doing anything. But WWE should jumping all over establishing these two guys at this stage at their signature shows. And at this one, because it's Wrestlemania and not Survivor Series or Over the Limit. Wrestlemania is where new stars should be born and bleed over into the top tier and gain main event credibility. WWE should take a chance on not relying on Vickie heat. Dolph moving to Raw was the ideal opportunity to move him away from that and get established/make an impact on his own. Morrison has had nothing to do with Vickie and fans have reacted well to him at TLC, 1st Raw of 2011, Royal Rumble and Elimination Chamber. Had they been given good time at Wrestlemania and a good reason to be wrestling one another on the show where everyone (particularly guys at the stage of their career they are in) are looking to impress, with the right motivation they could be tearing the house down at Wrestlemania XXVII and it could be the turning point of their careers and the making of them both.

Why does it always have to be about moves and being work-rate perverts if someone enjoys someone like Morrison or Ziggler, wants to see them evolve and be given the chance to prove their mustard? That stereotype wank is so tired and lame and you are so often guilty of tarring people with that brush when it's not in the right context at all.

Great post :thumbsup: was gonna say something similar but you summed it up nicely!

Why does it always have to be about moves and being work-rate perverts if someone enjoys someone like Morrison or Ziggler, wants to see them evolve and be given the chance to prove their mustard?

It doesn't always have to. It could be based on a love of fur coats and hair-sweat flicking. I just doubt that it is. Besides, "evolving" doesn't mean throwing valuable WrestleMania time at them when Morrison can't get a reaction in a normal match and Ziggler's only ever shown character on NXT and a chat show appearance. As you've pointed out, they've both already had a bunch of long, good matches, and those should've been career-making turning points. But they weren't. That's on WWE as well as on the two performers. Nothing came of any of it. Regardless, Morrison and Ziggler are both at the point where having long, well-executed matches isn't going to get them any further along in their careers. Especially against each other. Personality and storylines are what they both desperately need so that the next Morrison vs Ziggler feud could interest people.

Doing fifteen in singles might get them some positive reports on newzsites and forums, but it'd do fuck all for their careers if nobody else cares. And at the same time, WWE needs to surround Snooki with people who can do the lion's share of the wrestling. Those people are bound to get some exposure from it. Trish Stratus seems to be at about the same skill level as Snooki these days, so why not get the two lads in? Now perhaps a storyline built around JoMo and Mister Ziggles both being desperate to elevate themselves and have a number one contendership match might have worked, also. But if I was WWE, I wouldn't necessarily trust either of them to run with that ball yet. Neither of them has evolved a jot, character-wise or exposure-wise, since their last number one contender runs (or last World title reign, in Ziggler's case).

• Paid Members
Why does it always have to be about moves and being work-rate perverts if someone enjoys someone like Morrison or Ziggler, wants to see them evolve and be given the chance to prove their mustard?

It doesn't always have to. It could be based on a love of fur coats and hair-sweat flicking. I just doubt that it is. Besides, "evolving" doesn't mean throwing valuable WrestleMania time at them when Morrison can't get a reaction in a normal match and Ziggler's only ever shown character on NXT and a chat show appearance. As you've pointed out, they've both already had a bunch of long, good matches, and those should've been career-making turning points. But they weren't. That's on WWE as well as on the two performers. Nothing came of any of it. Regardless, Morrison and Ziggler are both at the point where having long, well-executed matches isn't going to get them any further along in their careers. Especially against each other. Personality and storylines are what they both desperately need so that the next Morrison vs Ziggler feud could interest people.

Doing fifteen in singles might get them some positive reports on newzsites and forums, but it'd do fuck all for their careers if nobody else cares..

Seems like you're sort of missing my point and then making the same point i'm making because you're too fixated with the idea of giving them fifteen minutes at Wrestlemania means it only appeals to The Snowflake Rating Society. I agree and am saying character development needs to be addressed and focused on for both of them to reach the next level but, you're saying now isn't the time any focus should be put on them for a match against each other for Wrestlemania. I'm saying this is exactly the time WWE should have really focused on looking to do what they can to address those issues, give their characters a motivation and a reason for people to care. They both had a bunch of momentum in January flirting with the big belts, which should have been capitalized on and developed leading into 'Mania. That's the time to really make and establish guys and where 'valuable' Wrestlemania time should be devoted to, especially now when they need to make new future main eventers, as a number of their top guys seemingly don't have long left and need fresh opponents who are considered legitimate threats themselves anyway.

I'd beg to differ that some of their long, good matches have got them nowhere and nothing came of them. After months and months of proving he can have good matches but without any motivation or reason for those matches and then having a couple of barnburners against Danny Bryan and Edge, Dolph was elevated a notch. Morrison similar after having some good bouts with Sheamus. You mention nobody caring about their matches because their long and they have no storylines or whatever but people did care about those matches, they got the crowds into those matches when, with most of them there was never any particular motivation for them to be taking place, which is a tremendous quality in my opinion. Furthermore, people really did care when they was given the chance to challenge for the titles or faced the top of the pack with Cena, Edge and Miz. You'll probably say that was down to the main event guys more than anything but, considering they'd been having lackluster efforts with Orton and others and in Edges cases most of the year prior then i'd say it definitely wasn't the case and Morrison and Ziggler were a big part of receiving those reactions. Fans were well into Morrison-Miz, Ziggler-Cena and Ziggler-Edge.

So, with all that being considered, building to this Wrestlemania from January with them facing each other one on one in a match with a #1 contendership or MITB style reward makes a lot of sense in continuing their development and considering they are now both on Raw and who is in the WWE title Wrestlemania match, no matter how long the match would be. That would be reason for fans to care and again with how they reacted to their title challenges previously, had such a match been built up, i think most fans would really give a shit about it. No matter how long the match would be.

I also suspect you're definition of character in these senses may differ from mine slightly and you mainly mean a discernable gimmick. In late 2005 nobody really gave a shit about Edge, he was struggling to get his good personality traits across and was the blandest he's ever been, despite having regular, good 'long' matches (you knew he had bags of personality there that wasn't being utilised). Then the focus of his character was simply made the World title and that he believed he deserved it more than most because he believed he was the best wrestler and was being overlooked/screwed. That became his motivation and then later on he was given the Money in the Bank gimmick. And you know the rest. Dolph has often displayed a character that's a tremendous athlete/wrestler who well knows it but his hotheadedness/quick rises to frustration in matches has cost him. Until he made the tactical/opportunistic move of aligning himself with Vickie. Dolph moving to Raw after being 'screwed' out of the World title and fired on Smackdown (thanks in part to Vickie), with some furious motivations to prove he should be a World Champion and is going to prove it on Raw (without Vickies incompetence holding him back this time) played in a similar vein to the way Edge played it as previously mentioned would have been a logical development in my mind. Fantasy booking - Morrison claims on Raw he wants and deserves another shot at the WWE title and says he wants to face whoever walks out of Wrestlemania as champion, either that or he makes some hints and teases at a Money in the Bank match for Wrestlemania, popping the crowd and entering him into their minds as a MITB gimmick candidate, only to be ambushed by a debuting on Raw, furious Ziggler who is attacking because he believes he should be the man receiving those honours. That would have been my way of making the first step in setting up the sort of match i was proposing for them to have at Wrestlemania anyway.

So, as there's not a huge number of matches that have been made or loads more that are obvious that need to happen for reasons other than getting them on the card and padding it out or unless there is loads and loads of hilarious Rock segments planned (even if there is) then Morrison and Ziggler are absolutely both worthy of time to shine on WWEs biggest, most important show on the calender.

Archived