WRESTLEMANIA 27 card- Confirmed+Rumoured

ligerbomb

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raw 2002 - Stone Cold & The Rock vs. Bossman & Booker.

Completely forgot about Bossman's return in late 2001. Although, I do now recall him smashing a chair over Austin's skull while looking sharp in a suit.

EDIT: Wrong topic. Took me over 3 hours to notice. :confused:

The argument of people like Morrison getting no reaction is so overused and mostly not true.

Aye, I keep thinking that the people mentioning this are stuck in some sort of timewarp. Either that or they watch WWE on mute when he's coming out. He's clearly over.

I agree and am saying character development needs to be addressed and focused on for both of them to reach the next level but, you're saying now isn't the time any focus should be put on them for a match against each other for Wrestlemania. I'm saying this is exactly the time WWE should have really focused on looking to do what they can to address those issues, give their characters a motivation and a reason for people to care. They both had a bunch of momentum in January flirting with the big belts, which should have been capitalized on and developed leading into 'Mania. That's the time to really make and establish guys and where 'valuable' Wrestlemania time should be devoted to, especially now when they need to make new future main eventers, as a number of their top guys seemingly don't have long left and need fresh opponents who are considered legitimate threats themselves anyway.

I agree with this in theory -- if WWE had started plotting the course since the Royal Rumble and done it properly, a Morrison vs Ziggler match at WrestleMania might have meant something. But they haven't, and at this point, a singles match between them is not WrestleMania-worthy as anything more than pure undercard filler (which WrestleMania doesn't, and shouldn't, have room for). My issue is with people who still think that singles match is more viable than the mixed tag, even now.

I'd beg to differ that some of their long, good matches have got them nowhere and nothing came of them. After months and months of proving he can have good matches but without any motivation or reason for those matches and then having a couple of barnburners against Danny Bryan and Edge, Dolph was elevated a notch. Morrison similar after having some good bouts with Sheamus. You mention nobody caring about their matches because their long and they have no storylines or whatever but people did care about those matches, they got the crowds into those matches when, with most of them there was never any particular motivation for them to be taking place, which is a tremendous quality in my opinion. Furthermore, people really did care when they was given the chance to challenge for the titles or faced the top of the pack with Cena, Edge and Miz. You'll probably say that was down to the main event guys more than anything but, considering they'd been having lackluster efforts with Orton and others and in Edges cases most of the year prior then i'd say it definitely wasn't the case and Morrison and Ziggler were a big part of receiving those reactions. Fans were well into Morrison-Miz, Ziggler-Cena and Ziggler-Edge.

I think you're partly right. Ziggler was elevated by that run of matches -- but he wouldn't be any more elevated by beating/losing to John Morrison. And it was a temporary elevation, he's not really much better off now than he was before he faced Edge or Bryan. The Edge rematches really made him look a chump. Morrison still struggles to get people involved except when he's doing stunty stuff. There are exceptions to that, but unless it's a match where he's using all manner of furniture and props, he's not often eliciting the kind of reactions that scream "next world champion."

I also suspect you're definition of character in these senses may differ from mine slightly and you mainly mean a discernable gimmick.

I don't. Just something interesting about them, something to connect with. The Miz doesn't have a particular gimmick, outside of the generic "arrogant heel" base. I'm not saying they have to be a binman or a clown or a rapper. Just some presence and hook, something in the way they act during their stories that makes people get involved. Ziggler should have that purely by proximity to Vickie and occasionally (like the Cena mini-feud, or the night he became number one contender) he does, but for the most part the relationship between them has never really clicked in the way Vickie-Edge did. I don't know whether that's down to the chemistry or the writing or both.

Morrison has had ample opportunity to develop a character (particularly when he was on Smackdown) and never done so. The best presentation of him has been since they introduced the parkour stuff, but that's only really good for the odd gasp, it doesn't make people care about what happens to him. The Morrison-Sheamus rivalry, you might recall, had one or two decent matches then got ran into the ground by endless diminishing-return rematches that made bits of Raw feel like Smackdown. And the only time it had anything resembling a story was when it was really Santino vs Sheamus -- which went on for weeks, presumably because everyone felt that Morrison doing run-ins to save the day built the Morrison vs Sheamus match better than Morrison doing his "nervous boy reads from textbook in front of class" speeches would have.

In late 2005 nobody really gave a shit about Edge, he was struggling to get his good personality traits across and was the blandest he's ever been, despite having regular, good 'long' matches (you knew he had bags of personality there that wasn't being utilised). Then the focus of his character was simply made the World title and that he believed he deserved it more than most because he believed he was the best wrestler and was being overlooked/screwed. That became his motivation and then later on he was given the Money in the Bank gimmick. And you know the rest.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Edge was doing brilliantly in late 2005, and already had the Money in the Bank. I suspect you mean that period in 2004 that led to the heel turn, but even that comparison is unfair on Dolph Ziggler. Edge in 2004 was in a slump, but still had oodles of credibility from his tag team days with Christian, a King of the Ring win, the feud with Kurt Angle, the tag title run with Hulk Hogan, etc etc.

Ziggler doesn't really have any significant backstory or history to trade on. His career (as Dolph) up until the Daniel Bryan match consisted of a good match with Rey Mysterio, an inside joke about shaking hands, and loads of boring stuff that everyone forgot while it was still happening. Edge in 2004 was trying to get back on track, battling bitterness about failing to meet his own and everyone else's expectations of him taking that final step. Ziggler's still really a wrestler trying to establish a persona for himself for the first time.

So, as there's not a huge number of matches that have been made or loads more that are obvious that need to happen for reasons other than getting them on the card and padding it out or unless there is loads and loads of hilarious Rock segments planned (even if there is) then Morrison and Ziggler are absolutely both worthy of time to shine on WWEs biggest, most important show on the calender.

They're worthy of the time they're getting to shine.

The MSG house show I went to tonight had a great undercard match of Santino, Vladimir Kozlov and Evan Bourne vs. Zack Ryder, Primo and Tyson Kidd. So awesome and the crowd were really in to it, they should shove a match like that on the Mania card. Maybe make a ten man, interpromotional deal to fit a bunch of worthy guys on. Doesn't have to go on, but it would provide some light relief.

The MSG house show I went to tonight had a great undercard match of Santino, Vladimir Kozlov and Evan Bourne vs. Zack Ryder, Primo and Tyson Kidd. So awesome and the crowd were really in to it, they should shove a match like that on the Mania card. Maybe make a ten man, interpromotional deal to fit a bunch of worthy guys on. Doesn't have to go on, but it would provide some light relief.

Not a bad call Rob.

Tad off topic but how was the MSG experience?

It was the best house show I've been to. It didn't feel like a special venue as such, but the card really hit on all cylinders. The six man, HHH vs Sheamus and Cena/Orton vs Miz/Punk were all legitimately great, and I shit you not, the Bellas vs Kelly and Eve was actively good. Such a great show, it shat on the ROH show from earlier in the day.

UPDATED CONFIRMED (AND RUMOURED) CARD

Host: The Rock

WWE TITLE:

The Miz vs John Cena

NO HOLDS BARRED:

HHH vs Undertaker

WHC:

Edge vs Alberto Del Rio

Randy Orton vs CM Punk

Michael Cole w/Jack Swagger vs Jerry Lawler, Special Guest referee: Steve Austin

Rey Mysterio vs Cody Rhodes

John Morrisson, Trish Stratus and Snooki vs Dolph Ziggler and Lay-Cool

Rumoured matches/additions:

WHC:

Edge vs Alberto Del Rio vs Christian (observer reporting this is now a likely addition to the match)

The Corre (Barrett, Zeke, Slater, Gabriel) vs Big Show, Kane and Diesel

US Title:

Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan (This could possibly become a multiman match with Kofi, McIntyre, Bourne or even at a stretch Sin Cara although a straight bryan/sheamus match is still the most consistent rumour)

Divas Match

Where is all this Diesel bollocks coming from? Diesel hasn't been mentioned since January, why do people think he'll be randomly stuck in a tag match?

If Nash was appearing on the card I doubt he'd have arranged the Friday night piss up with X-Pac and co.

Where is all this Diesel bollocks coming from? Diesel hasn't been mentioned since January, why do people think he'll be randomly stuck in a tag match?

If Nash was appearing on the card I doubt he'd have arranged the Friday night piss up with X-Pac and co.

Why not? It's a full 2 days to recover. Plus he probably did it most nights in the 90s.

For the record, I don't think he'll wrestle.

I think i'd prefer to see two seperate matches, Wade Barrett and Ezekial vs. Big Show and Kane, and then have Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel defend the tag titles at the PPV in a tag turmoil, against teams like Santino and Kozlov, The Usos, Zack Ryder and Primo...gets them on the card and could be a decent undercard attraction.

Will never happen of course because the tag titles mean fuck all, and seeing that list of tag teams it shows how bad the tag division is but still.

I would just do an 8 Man Tag and stick Diesel and Booker T in it. They could have The Corre attack Booker T this week on Smackdown first of all, and have The Corre challenge Show and Kane. Then the next week (Two nights before Wrestlemania) have Kane and The Big Show accept the challenge, bring out Booker T and then have Diesel be a surprise partner, and come out at Wrestlemania. I wouldn't have Santino or Kozlov on the show, it will make it look small time as well, just quickly plan a ladder match or something for the Intercontinental Title between Kofi Kingston and Drew McIntyre.

Archived