Elimination Chamber Discussion

Super Cena

Booker's commentary doesn't fit in to WWE's announcing style, and it showed here again. Please, throw whatever money it takes to bring JBL back alongside Cole.

Couldn't agree more. He can't be doing that much these days can he? The whole Vyper Fight League thing went belly up and I don't think Layfield Energy products are appearing in many 7/11 vending machines. He still makes his money but not in a massive, mainstream way. His a smart bloke and I don't see why he can't make some paper whilst popping into the 'E for two nights a week to lay down some much needed stability in the commentary team.

Or JR. I mean shoot that would do too. But it's not going to happen, is it. JBL on the other hand I fully expect to be back on screen within the next few years.

The thing with Michael Cole on commentary is that he's one of the most quick witted and slickest talkers in wrestling, and has had years of Vince screaming through his headset at what and what shouldn't be said. There is meant to be banter between the face and heel commentators, it's just that Cole is putting Booker down and out-arguing him too often, making Booker look inadequate and inferior to him.

A talker at the level of J.R, Heyman or JBL is needed to go word-for-word with Cole.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Booker's commentary doesn't fit in to WWE's announcing style, and it showed here again. Please, throw whatever money it takes to bring JBL back alongside Cole.

Couldn't agree more. He can't be doing that much these days can he? The whole Vyper Fight League thing went belly up and I don't think Layfield Energy products are appearing in many 7/11 vending machines. He still makes his money but not in a massive, mainstream way. His a smart bloke and I don't see why he can't make some paper whilst popping into the 'E for two nights a week to lay down some much needed stability in the commentary team.

Or JR. I mean shoot that would do too. But it's not going to happen, is it. JBL on the other hand I fully expect to be back on screen within the next few years.

You people are no fun. Black Snow 4 Raw.

Anyway JBL is not only loaded from his many investments but his wife wipes her arse with the stuff too. They're worth millions.

I'm hoping we get a stip at 'Mania where King fights to get JR back.

You people are no fun. Black Snow 4 Raw.

Anyway JBL is not only loaded from his many investments but his wife wipes her arse with the stuff too. They're worth millions.

I'm hoping we get a stip at 'Mania where King fights to get JR back.

I don't think for one minute that JBL isn't mega rich and would certainly never have to come back to WWE off his own accord.

I was just implying that Booker isn't good enough in the commentary gig to work next to Cole. Josh Matthew's is okay, because he is a proverbial bitch - and both him and Cole know that. However, Cole can not go out-talking the 5-time, 5-time, 5-time, 5-time, 5-time WCW champion on each broadcast.

2009/2010: Always the same people in the main event scene, WWE never produces any new guys.

2011: Wtf are Del Rio and Miz doing in my main event, why would WWE put new guys in their main event.

I really don't think many people are complaining about that. Most people on here bum Del Rio and Miz. Most people are just unhappy that Cena is main eventing again.

My personal opinion on it is that not enough has been done to build the likes of Miz as a legitimate threat to Cena, and that's the problem with calling that match a 'main event'. Just as hoying a title belt at Jack Swagger and Sheamus didn't make them main eventers, putting Miz in a Wrestlemania match with Cena doesn't make him a credible threat to Cena in familar perception. I mean, Cena's spent the last 6 years doing his superman act and overcoming the odds against the likes of HHH, Batista, Orton, Umaga, Khali, Big Show etc. Why should I believe that this little squirt who's struggled for two months to get one over on a 60-year old commentator poses any threat to him?

Again, this isn't a slight on Miz, but a more pervasive problem in the WWE. It's not that they refuse to stick new people in the main events, it's that when they do it, they half-arse it so much that the new faces never last there because the booking quickly makes it clear they're no match for Cena, HHH, Taker or Orton. Look at Wade Barrett - his PPV W/L record in the past 6 months (including being comprehensively battered by Show last night) must be absolutely dreadful, and yet he's still being talked about in some circles as a potential Wrestlemania opponent for the Undertaker. Incredible.

You know what?

Right now, the card for Wrestlemania is looking less interesting than the card for TNA Against All Odds was, which is one of TNA's minor PPVs.

That's not a good state of affairs for WWE.

Lolz, don't be a dick. two matches have been announced. Del Rio vs Edge and Miz vs Cena, fresh main eventers vs established guys, its good to me.

Hence the phrase RIGHT NOW you mongoloid. There's not long to go and all.

Not long to go? Theres 6 weeks to go till Mania. Plenty of time.

The majority of matches at previous Mania's got put together in less time.

Oh aye, and Against All Odds was shit.

• Paid Members
2009/2010: Always the same people in the main event scene, WWE never produces any new guys.

2011: Wtf are Del Rio and Miz doing in my main event, why would WWE put new guys in their main event.

I really don't think many people are complaining about that. Most people on here bum Del Rio and Miz. Most people are just unhappy that Cena is main eventing again.

My personal opinion on it is that not enough has been done to build the likes of Miz as a legitimate threat to Cena, and that's the problem with calling that match a 'main event'. Just as hoying a title belt at Jack Swagger and Sheamus didn't make them main eventers, putting Miz in a Wrestlemania match with Cena doesn't make him a credible threat to Cena in familar perception. I mean, Cena's spent the last 6 years doing his superman act and overcoming the odds against the likes of HHH, Batista, Orton, Umaga, Khali, Big Show etc. Why should I believe that this little squirt who's struggled for two months to get one over on a 60-year old commentator poses any threat to him?

Again, this isn't a slight on Miz, but a more pervasive problem in the WWE. It's not that they refuse to stick new people in the main events, it's that when they do it, they half-arse it so much that the new faces never last there because the booking quickly makes it clear they're no match for Cena, HHH, Taker or Orton. Look at Wade Barrett - his PPV W/L record in the past 6 months (including being comprehensively battered by Show last night) must be absolutely dreadful, and yet he's still being talked about in some circles as a potential Wrestlemania opponent for the Undertaker. Incredible.

Valid points here, for the most part, but the bit I've put in bold is about as bad a way as you could phrase it. A Miz enthusiast could point out three victories over Orton, and The Miz right now is clearly much higher up the ranks than his previous batterings at the hands of Cena. Plus: what if Miz wins at Wrestlemania?

The point about Barrett is spot on, but they never pulled the trigger with him as champion like they did Swagger or Sheamus.

• Paid Members
Look at Wade Barrett - his PPV W/L record in the past 6 months (including being comprehensively battered by Show last night) must be absolutely dreadful, and yet he's still being talked about in some circles as a potential Wrestlemania opponent for the Undertaker. Incredible.

Yeah, but it's not about win/loss records like legitimate sport, it's about storytelling. Barrett buried Undertaker alive, costing him the title. Undertaker comes back for revenge. It would be fairly illogical if we weren't talking about it as a possible Mania match.

Unless Undertaker is prepared to blow it off in favour of Hunter/Sting/Braden Walker/whoever by saying "I'm back! Wade Barrett buried me but Im back... but I don't much mind about that, he's nowhere near important enough to wrestle me so we'll just forget about all that."

Look at Wade Barrett - his PPV W/L record in the past 6 months (including being comprehensively battered by Show last night) must be absolutely dreadful, and yet he's still being talked about in some circles as a potential Wrestlemania opponent for the Undertaker. Incredible.

Yeah, but it's not about win/loss records like legitimate sport, it's about storytelling. Barrett buried Undertaker alive, costing him the title. Undertaker comes back for revenge. It would be fairly illogical if we weren't talking about it as a possible Mania match.

Unless Undertaker is prepared to blow it off in favour of Hunter/Sting/Braden Walker/whoever by saying "I'm back! Wade Barrett buried me but Im back... but I don't much mind about that, he's nowhere near important enough to wrestle me so we'll just forget about all that."

Let me rephrase that: I'm not saying the W/L record is important because it would mean in kayfabe terms Barrett doesn't deserve a shot at the Streak. My point was that his terrible record against anyone approaching main event level makes him impossible to take seriously as a threat to the most prestigious and elusive achievement left in wrestling. Fair enough, we know most years that the chances of it ending are minimal, but the best thing about the Taker/HBK matches was that the storyline and matches were good enough to make you suspend your disbelief and get half an idea that Michaels just might do it.

With Barrett, who didn't come close to winning a feud against Orton or Cena and spent his last pre-Mania PPV match getting knocked the fuck out by Big Show, the Streak match goes from a suspenseful, dramatic major selling point to being an extended midcard squash, like when Taker used to wrestle Mark Henry or A-Train at Mania.

• Paid Members
My point was that his terrible record against anyone approaching main event level makes him impossible to take seriously as a threat to the most prestigious and elusive achievement left in wrestling.

More than fair. I'm guessing tonight we will have an idea of if someone with a better chance of ending the streak and making more of a game of it, so to speak.

According to a report on thewrestlingobserver I've seen there was consideration taking the title off The Miz, at least for a day or so, last night.

Comment in the report said 'Apparently The Miz has no got over as much as the company would like". Really? Really!? Guy is one of the most over acts they have if you ask me.

There's no denying Trish's promo was shit.

But ...

I was impressed, just as I usually was before she left, with her self-awareness.

Her mannerisms during and immediately after her promo suggested she knew it was a bit crappy and she laughed it off and got on with it.

I remember she once described herself as looking like a deer in the headlights on her first ever WWF promo, and that is what a lot of current superstars (male or female) can look like when a promo bombs on live tv these days.

But I am confident that Trish can get on with it and do a better job next time.

• Paid Members
According to a report on thewrestlingobserver I've seen there was consideration taking the title off The Miz, at least for a day or so, last night.

Comment in the report said 'Apparently The Miz has no got over as much as the company would like". Really? Really!? Guy is one of the most over acts they have if you ask me.

TV ratings and the silence for some of his other matches say otherwise. I like the way they're booking The Miz personally, I just can't take him seriously as a proper threat - totally a Chris Jericho.

I remember she once described herself as looking like a deer in the headlights on her first ever WWF promo, and that is what a lot of current superstars (male or female) can look like when a promo bombs on live tv these days.

Just to prove that as true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aQtaQS9VvM

Suddenly the way she delivered the shit she was given last night and how she carried herself behind the microphone doesn't seem so bad.

To be fair to Trish the material she was given was dismal.

If she turns up on Smackdown in a few weeks to set up a match at Wrestlemania, I hope that they can come up with something better. Would she have been present when they were writing the promo yesterday? If not, I think she needs more input in her mic work, as she might feel more comfortable saying something more natural to her.

Archived