Elimination Chamber Discussion

Super Cena

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John Cena is the biggest name in WWE and should be headlining the biggest show that they have.

That's as maybe, but John Cena vs Miz is in no way, shape or form a Wrestlemania main event. That's not even Miz's fault, either - I like him, but the way his title run's been booked it looks like a mismatch on every level, and I don't see much they can do in the meantime to help us suspend disbelief about the inevitable Cena win long enough to get into the match.

Also hate when Wrestlemania ends with a celebrating babyface getting booed to fuck, makes the whole thing feel flat (though I suppose the presence of Rock could take some of the sting out of the Cena boos this time round).

Good PPV from top to bottom I thought with the SD chamber match being the highlight. Del Rio Vs Kofi was a great opener and the SD Chamber was fantastic, McIntyre really shone in the match and showed great intensity. Suprised to see the tag titles change hands but maybe we'll se Nexus Vs Corre for the titles at Mania ? I thought we'd see Santino & Kozlov Vs Brodus and Ricardo at Mania (I think Brodus will win NXT and Ricardo will be his partner) Miz carried Lawler to a half decent match I thought Cole would get involved more though tbh. I think Lawler will face A-Ri at Mania possibly with Cole as A-Ri's partner or maybe if he wins he gets Cole 1 on 1 ? The Raw Chamber was good with Punk outstanding especially with that nasty cut on his leg ouch. Morrison should win MITB this year and I would love to see him cash in on a retaining Miz Mania night !

Best PPV I've seen in a while can't wait for Raw tonight !

Hope the 3rd trainer in Tough Enough is Regal !

Well that was deflating.

The plus points: Christian's return (and possible involvement with the Edge-Rio main event), Trish's return. McIntyre really shone in his match too. Punk being over with the crowd.

Negative points: Every single match had a predictable finish. That's actually a fairly large negative. No Diesel, Ziggler or HHH either. Del Rio's supposed to be a main event contender; he's gone from winning the Rumble to opening the card on the next PPV. Call me old school but it really should have been a midcard match, and not with the IC champion either since that sort of shits all over that belt.

I still have blind faith that tonight's Raw will have some surprises.

The point above about Cena headlining is a good one. Compare it to Hogan, Rock or Austin in their primes, which for the purposes of this argument I'll say is 86-92, 97-03 and 98-04 respectively. Compare the 7 year spans...

Hogan

86 - Main event, world title (won)

87 - Main event, world title (won)

88 - Main event (draw)

89 - Main event, world title (won)

90 - Main event, world title (lost)

91 - Main event, world title (won)

92 - Main event (won)

7 out of 7 matches on the card.

5 out of 7 victories.

5 out of 7 Championship opportunities. (lets not be technical over WM4 okay)

5 out of 7 of which were "main event" championships.

7 out of 7 of which were "main event" matches.

Austin:

97 - Upper card match (lost)

98 - World title match & main event (won)

99 - World title match & main event (won)

00 - Didn't appear

01 - World title match & main event (won)

02 - Mid card match (won)

03 - Main event match (lost)

6 out of 7 matches on the card.

4 out of 6 victories.

3 out of 6 Championship opportunities.

3 out of 6 of which were "main event" Championships.

4 out of 6 were main event matches

Rock:

98 - Mid card, IC match (won)

99 - World title, main event (lost)

00 - world title, main event (lost)

01 - World title, main event (lost)

02 - Main event (won)

03 - Main event (won)

04 - Mid card (lost)

3 out of 7 victories.

4 out of 7 Championship opportunities

3 out of 7 of which were "main event" Championships. (He didn't win any of them)

5 out of 7 were main event matches.

Cena:

6 out of 7 victories.

7 out of 7 Championship opportunities.

6 out of 7 of which were "main event" Championships.

6 out of 7 of which were "main event" matches.

On the face of it, an argument can certainly be made for Cena being pushed harder than Hogan Rock or Austin. Difference being that in some of those matches, those guys were being cheered even when they were heels (rather than the other way round with Cena). WWE really, really need to freshen up the main event scene.

• Paid Members

The show felt a bit 'filler' to me. Nothing bad but nothing great either.

I'm still not convinced with The Miz as champion, most of his matches (bar his TLC with Lawler and singles with Bryan) have played out in crowds that don't appear to care. Granted he was anchored with Randy Orton for a month but he fails to get heat at times. His matches are watchable but nobody cares. I hated the finish of the match today, just came out of nowhere and didn't build anything.

CM Punk is WWEs MVP, just outstanding all-round. I was watching and remembered the 'next breakout star' thread on here when I saw Punk ham it up in the Chamber, as the crowd chanted his name. Hopefully he gets a run with the WWE Championship this year.

I've not watched Smackdown in months but since he came in all I've heard is negative things about Bookah! I thought he was a hoot last night. Freshened the thing up and made the wrestlers out to be supermen. Josh Mathews is also great at playing the 'straight man' next to Michael Cole - he has a likeable charm to him. I'd welcome all three to Raw. The lack of Striker lifted the quality hugely (also do you think WWE knowingly replaced the 'mark' Striker with the man who he jizzed over at the Rumble?).

Trish looked rough. Still would though.

I thought the ending was cringe-worthy bad. The Miz watching a telly lifting his WWE Championship in the air while doing his angry/serious face. He looked like a pleb.

The show for me kicked off perfectly with that Alberto Del Rio Vs Kofi Kingston match, I really enjoyed it, and the crowd was really into it. Then the Smackdown Chamber match was dull as fuck until Drew McIntyre of all people cam into it, I would have liked him to have won it. The Raw Chamber was just as boring, The Miz Vs King was ruined by Michael Cole's annoying commentary, and becuase it was shite compared to that big TLC match that they had in November. Trish Stratus' segment was embarrassing to watch, and she looked rough as well. I swear that show was never going to end, it just kept on going on. I wanted to keep on watching it, in hope of seeing a Chamber match as good as the first three were. I hope Raw is better tonight, The Rock needs to do something. That Triple H film looks like something they are trying to throw down our throats as well, I was expecting to see a "This Film Is FUNNY " message come up on the screen as I cringe.

I know it's a bad thing to dislike Cena nowdays since hating him got switched for defending him in the coolness stakes but his win last night just took the air right out of me and reminded me that no matter how much I like WWE right now, no matter how much The Rock layeths the verbal smackethdown and no matter how much the threat of a glorious Diesel appearance or Triple H return is imminent John Cena will still be there as the same character he was for the past six years winning the same match he has always been winning for the past six years.

I don't care it it's good business. Or if it's 'right'. Speaking from a personal perspective it's fucking boring and I would greatley appreciate some sort of change. Other than that I enjoyed the show last night even if they done that filler thing I really dislike that would have been better served on what is looking to be a really exciting Raw tonight. The SmackDown & Raw elimination chambers were both equally entertaining even if the UNBREAKABLE GLASS spot does make me want to pull my hair out everytime it's done, the Jerry Lawler/Miz stuff played out exactly as I would have expected, and the opener was a nice if a little generic WWE match.

Also were WWE actually namechecking a brand last night constantly during the elimination chamber matches? I can't for the life of me even remember the word but they kept calling those pods by a very specific name.

I know it's a bad thing to dislike Cena nowdays since hating him got switched for defending him in the coolness stakes but his win last night just took the air right out of me and reminded me that no matter how much I like WWE right now, no matter how much The Rock layeths the verbal smackethdown and no matter how much the threat of a glorious Diesel appearance or Triple H return is imminent John Cena will still be there as the same character he was for the past six years winning the same match he has always been winning for the past six years.

I don't care it it's good business. Or if it's 'right'. Speaking from a personal perspective it's fucking boring and I would greatley appreciate some sort of change. Other than that I enjoyed the show last night even if they done that filler thing I really dislike that would have been better served on what is looking to be a really exciting Raw tonight. The SmackDown & Raw elimination chambers were both equally entertaining even if the UNBREAKABLE GLASS spot does make me want to pull my hair out everytime it's done, the Jerry Lawler/Miz stuff played out exactly as I would have expected, and the opener was a nice if a little generic WWE match.

Also were WWE actually namechecking a brand last night constantly during the elimination chamber matches? I can't for the life of me even remember the word but they kept calling those pods by a very specific name.

Yeah I really don't get this, i mean he's alright, but people have gone to a new level of weirdness now with defending him on here. Yeah the Cena overcoming the odds win really put a downer on what I thought was a fantastic PPV. Its like John Cena doesn't need to win these matches, the crowd would forget if he lost it and carry on, but if a guy like JoMo won it, it would do wonders for him and maybe elevate him to that next level.

Miz vs Cena is a Wrestlemania main event for me, the main event matches at Wm over the past few years haven't interested me in the slightest (apart from HBK - Undertaker) so this is at least fresh-ish. Thing is if Cena wins and people boo him I just don't get it, why do that?

If indeed it turns out to be Del Rio vs Edge vs Christian that would be ace, but i think Christian might just be in Edge's corner I don't want to get my hopes up...

Drew McIntyre was fucking class, headbutting the glass etc. Looked class when he came in the Chamber, just a shame Big Show kicked out of the DDT. Where was Ziggler? Big Show in the Chamber was a bit of a flop too.

enjoyed the show from top to bottom, the sd chamber match being motn. gutted they didnt go with a short title win for lawler but i can see why they booked miz to retain

trish's return promo was embarrassing but got a kick out of her 1 on 2 beating of laycool even if she did botch the stratusphere on layla

del rio/kofi was decent but i didnt care that much for the tag title match

glad to see christian back, get the feeling they may go for a 3 way at mania for the whc

the raw chamber match was good but left me with a meh? feeling with cena winning, would it have killed them that much to let morrison have the win to give us a fresher main event?

overall i'd give it an 8/10

Who thought it would be a good idea to have Trish go out there and work spots in high heels!?

I'm going with Punk v Orton, Edge v ADR v Christian, Lawler v Cole, Miz v Cena with Rock as 'special enforcer', LayCool v Kelly and Trish, Mysterio v Cody Rhodes and, completely random, HHH v Undertaker Career vs Streak for WrestleMania [last one's a pipe dream but, fuck it, they're my predictions!].

Also reckon Morrison, Kofi, Ziggler, DiBiase, Bourne, Daniel Bryan and two others for MITB.

Who thought it would be a good idea to have Trish go out there and work spots in high heels!?

I'm going with Punk v Orton, Edge v ADR v Christian, Lawler v Cole, Miz v Cena with Rock as 'special enforcer', LayCool v Kelly and Trish, Mysterio v Cody Rhodes and, completely random, HHH v Undertaker Career vs Streak for WrestleMania [last one's a pipe dream but, fuck it, they're my predictions!].

Also reckon Morrison, Kofi, Ziggler, DiBiase, Bourne, Daniel Bryan and two others for MITB.

I hope there won't be a Money In The Bank match, it has it's own PPV, whats the need for it? They need something new.

I hope there won't be a Money In The Bank match, it has it's own PPV, whats the need for it? They need something new.

From a selfish ooint of view, I'll be attending Mania so would like to see the 'spectable' of MITB live. Throw in the pre-show Battle Royal so we can identify who's getting future endeavoured during or immediately after the Wrestlemania Revenge tour, and we're at the races :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

So they're actually going through with Del Rio vs. Edge and Cena vs. The Miz as main event matches?! Christ. If it wasn't for The Rock, this year's Wrestlemania would've been the least exciting in forever. Trish made a show of herself, too.

Archived