Mistico to WWE

$tew

Everyone seems to have the idea Mistico needs to start in the lower card.

He doesn't, but he'll end up there and that's the problem. The fact that people are using phrases like 'lower card' illustrates the problem with WWE's booking of the midcarders right now, particularly on Smackdown. Guys like Zack Ryder and Primo have nothing to do. If there was two sets of tag-belts, they could go on DZP. Mark Henry and Evan Bourne could have got a run. As is, The IC and US Titles are already essentially props to keep Daniel Bryan and Kofi Kingston over whilst they do jobs for people getting main-event pushes. The midcarders need more props.

They sure as hell don't need more props. They need to make better use of the props they currently have. Both sets of mid-card titles are currently an afterthought, when they really should and could have been re-established after the runs of The Miz and Dolph Ziggler. The titles really, actually played little part in either of them getting over and didn't serve as an adequate test for and establish them as main event ready like they should have.

You are wrong about Zigger and Miz's IC and US Title runs and what happened with the tag titles last week illustrates why the 'we'll have less belts and make them count' thing hasn't worked. When you have more belts, some of them will mean more than others at different times but I think the idea that having less titles makes them worth more has been completely disproven by the last few months. I would even argue that unifying the Women's and Diva's Titles was a mistake. Look at what the ECW Title did for Christian....

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Everyone seems to have the idea Mistico needs to start in the lower card.

He doesn't, but he'll end up there and that's the problem. The fact that people are using phrases like 'lower card' illustrates the problem with WWE's booking of the midcarders right now, particularly on Smackdown. Guys like Zack Ryder and Primo have nothing to do. If there was two sets of tag-belts, they could go on DZP. Mark Henry and Evan Bourne could have got a run. As is, The IC and US Titles are already essentially props to keep Daniel Bryan and Kofi Kingston over whilst they do jobs for people getting main-event pushes. The midcarders need more props.

They sure as hell don't need more props. They need to make better use of the props they currently have. Both sets of mid-card titles are currently an afterthought, when they really should and could have been re-established after the runs of The Miz and Dolph Ziggler. The titles really, actually played little part in either of them getting over and didn't serve as an adequate test for and establish them as main event ready like they should have.

You are wrong about Zigger and Miz's IC and US Title runs and what happened with the tag titles last week illustrates why the 'we'll have less belts and make them count' thing hasn't worked. When you have more belts, some of them will mean more than others at different times but I think the idea that having less titles makes them worth more has been completely disproven by the last few months. I would even argue that unifying the Women's and Diva's Titles was a mistake. Look at what the ECW Title did for Christian....

Yoour correct in saying it hasnt helped, but what also doenst help is bringing the titles down in numbers, but flip-flopping the title every 3 weeks. Makes them bloody useless!

WWE does not need more titles.

• Paid Members
WCW-esque Cruiserweight matches don't really fit in with how things are done in WWE though, where they have their own particular style of doing their matches.

Finally, a reason to celebrate WWE having their own style of matches!! If they did have WCW-esque cruiserweight matches would they televise the random drawing of the opponents and the coin toss to decide who wins? And would they hire Tony Schiavone back to talk about anything else but the match in the ring?

Anyway, silly to say Mistico isn't on ADR's level. He's on the level they decide to push him at. If they bring him in against Bourne and Tyson Kidd, he's a jabroni or a level up from them at best. If they bring him in opposite Del Rio or alongside misterio then he's right up the ladder. They have the power to convince fans that he's a big deal, then it's up to him to show it.

I like the name Sin Cara.

Mistico is a great asset to professional wrestling in general, and quite frankly i think that in terms of potential he could be an ever bigger Lucha Libre name than the likes of Rey and Mil Mascaras.

In terms of whether or not he could be matched up against Del Rio, why not? They both have history in which they can furfill a great match for the crowd and to be fair, i think a non-WWE style match between the two sometime would be great on a Smackdown taping sometime down the line. Its something different for us to watch, in which it could definetly draw for the public.

Now if he was to feud with Mysterio, it would definetly be a great encouragement for them to bring back the Cruiserweight title. Not nesessarily in a WCW-esque style, but to show some great talent out their without necassarily putting them in main event status.

• Moderators
They both have history in which they can furfill a great match for the crowd and to be fair, i think a non-WWE style match between the two sometime would be great on a Smackdown taping sometime down the line.

Anything but that. I'm sick to death of people just being thrown out to have a long match on Smackdown for the sake it.

They both have history in which they can furfill a great match for the crowd and to be fair, i think a non-WWE style match between the two sometime would be great on a Smackdown taping sometime down the line.

Anything but that. I'm sick to death of people just being thrown out to have a long match on Smackdown for the sake it.

Yeah, but said matches that you

• Moderators

They might well have a decent bout. Probably would if all I've heard about this Mistico character is anything to go by, but anykind of long match with no real build on free TV is my bugbear to be honest. It makes it hard for me to feel invested in the wrestlers and their match if it's just for the sake of having a match.

If they gave them an issue for a month or so and did it on PPV however, I'd have no qualms at all. I'd imgaine I'd enjoy it, if Mistico and Del Rio mesh well, as Del Rio is the Boss of Smackdown.

• Paid Members

It doesn't have to be for no reason though does it? Mind you, after a year or so, it wouldn't make sense for Del Rio to suddenly start having non-WWE style matches. Unless they built up some storyline of him going back to his roots to counter Sin Cara or something. That sounds a bit bothersome for Smackdown, they'll probably just throw them out and have ADR win in 3 mins with the Armbar.

• Moderators

Or 20 minutes then win by arm bar, then Mistico will win next week, and they'll go 50-50 for two months, with no real conclusion before moving on to feuds with Kofi Kingston and Jack Swagger where the same will happen again.

I have noticed that everyone's pretty set he'll turn up on Smackdown however. Can anyone see Mistico turning up on Raw? Personally I can't, to be honest.

• Paid Members

Not really, it seems a lock that he'd be on the show with ADR and Misterio. It just kinds fits. Be more interesting to put him on Raw though, especially if they want to make something of him. Raw could use a fresh face below the main eventers.

What about making him a babyface on Smackdown and a heel on Raw, complete with different name and mask?? Be like the mini's in the 90's, they could get their money's worth.

Going by the pictures on WWE.com, his masks don't look anywhere near as marketable as those of Rey Mysterio's do. With Rey Rey looking to retire in the not-so-distant future, I wouldn't be surprised if they finished with a "Mask versus Career" type blow-off match. Mistico going over Mysterio and thus being allowed to wear Mysterio's style of mask from thereon in.

The lucha gimmick in general is tremendous - it sells and promotes itself. WWE creative won't have to work overtime to ensure that Mistico's masks sell to the kids in great numbers over the next five to ten years.

ADR win in 3 mins with the Armbar.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread slightly but this made me smile.

Me and a mate have recently got into UFC and a lot of finishers are the armbar, which made me remember Jericho's very funny promo from WCW during his feud with Dean Malenko where the 'arrmbarrrrr' appears numerous times on the list.

I now cannot see or hear the word 'armbar' without going 'arrrmbarr' like Jericho did in that promo.

...and for those who don't know what I'm talking about or wish to relive the greatness of said promo, here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faaDz7p5X3A

• Paid Members
Not really, it seems a lock that he'd be on the show with ADR and Misterio. It just kinds fits. Be more interesting to put him on Raw though, especially if they want to make something of him. Raw could use a fresh face below the main eventers.

I may be totally making this up, and don't really know of a reason why it would be so different, but isn't Smackdown the show that has the massive Hispanic audience compared to Raw? I seem to recall that being touted about when Rey was drafted to Raw, and gave the promo about 50% in Spanish asking his fans to come with him over to the other show, and when there wasn't much change in the Hispanic demographic, they sent him back. If that's the case, almost certain Sin Cara is headed there.

On the subject of the name - I like it, but see one possible problem with it - how does it contract? Rey Mysterio becomes "Rey" quite nicely, and they treat it like a Christian name even though it's not. I don't see a babyface having the Christian name "Sin", and referring to him just as "Cara" just doesn't seem quite right to me. Just musing.

• Paid Members

I may be totally making this up, and don't really know of a reason why it would be so different, but isn't Smackdown the show that has the massive Hispanic audience compared to Raw?

It wouldn't surprise me, given the fact the following spent most if not all of their post-brand split WWE career on Smackdown:

Rey Mysterio

Eddie Guerrero

Chavo Guerrero

Psychosis

Juvi Guerrera

Super Crazy (though he was then drafted to Raw)

Alberto del Rio

Chavo Classic

Archived