Mistico to WWE

$tew

Superluchas in Mexico are reporting that WWE have finally signed CMLL's top star (and the biggest drawing wrestler outside WWE in the last few years) Mistico to a contract. The Observer webside is confirming it here.

There have been various WWE/Mistico talks in the past, and Mistico had a tryout last year, but nothing came of it at the time. Of late (with his CMLL push being scaled back, and after his aborted heel turn last year), Mistico has been unhappy and there were more rumours recently of the WWE deal, though most people assumed that this was just Mistico spreading the rumours himself (perhaps as a way to get out of CMLL and into AAA). However, it seems that there was actually fire with this smoke, and Mistico has got his dream move.

It's an interesting one. First thought is that he's a Mysterio replacement... with Rey's injuries etc, it makes sense that WWE would bring in basically a younger, more dynamic hero for the kids to cheer... but with WWE you never know. They may take his mask off and end up making him a Primo/Tatsu level babyface... and with Vince's size issues, any problems Mysterio ever had with being taken seriously will be even bigger issues for Mistico, who is even smaller.

Either way, this has huge potential. Thoughts on how WWE may use Mistico?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I don't know much about him, but with Mysterio's career winding down it would make sense for WWE to find a new hispanic superstar to attempt to fill his boots. I think luchadors will always get over with kids because of their masks and high flying moves, whilst older fans also appreciate seeing guys that bring something different to the table. The problem is that Vince doesn't traditionally like guys that can't also progress a story through promos and backstage segments. Does this Mistico guy speak decent English?

Hmm, well you have Dos Caras Jr/Alberto Del Rio who made the right move by removing the mask and signing with WWE.

Sicodelico Jr, however, did not.

Incognito/Mistico de Juarez is currently in developmental [as Hunico] although he is still competing with mask, occassionally tagging with a masked Orlando Colon as 'Los Aviadores'.

Haven't seen enough of Mistico to properly comment but it seems there are no guarantees. If he is smaller than Misterio than that could pose a problem.

Can he speak English?

• Paid Members

Is there any chance of him being a surprise entrant in the Rumble? I can imagine Striker ranting and raving about how this is a world famous superstar. Granted I don't know anything more than the name simply being relatively familiar but he could get over instantly with a bit of a Rumble run, especially if he can throw out some high-flying stuff. Another possibility is to bring him in as a friend of Mysterio and go down the slow heel-turn route.

He is a *magnificent* luchador, but will presumably have to alter his style and make himself more adaptable to the WWE style and what the WWE fans will want from him. The lucha libre rolls/armdrags/flips/wacky submissions style will need to incorporate North American style selling and fire, just as Rey did. In fact, the best thing WWE could do would be to see if Rey would mentor Mistico. If Rey was willing to bring Mistico through (kind of like how Eddie Guerrero helped with Rey), Mistico could be massive.

From the Observer news item

Mistico is one of the bigger drawing cards in pro wrestling history. Based on headlining the most shows that drew more than 10,000 fans, Mistico was the biggest drawing card in wrestling overall three different years, and in the last six years, he was always either first or tied for first among non-WWE performers, and is the only Luchador in history to win the Wrestling Observer's Wrestler of the Year Award, winning in 2006.

I've commentated on dozens of his matches, and he's phenomenal at what he does - but it all depends how he makes the transition. As far as English, I believe he speaks some... though honstly, if he's had his heart set on WWE for the last year, I'd like to think he's smart enough that he'll have been learning as much English as possible.

There's no way he's smaller than Mysterio

Mysterio is billed at 5ft 6in, Mistico is billed at 5ft 7in - of course one or both of those could be false.

Mistico is probably lighter than Mysterio (due to Mysterio being a fat bastard now) and is pretty much Evan Bourne but with more muscle mass.

• Paid Members
I can imagine Striker ranting and raving about how this is a world famous superstar.

... and getting it all wrong.

"He started out life as a crack addict looking for his next hit, but one day he found a wrestling ring and the sweet scent of luuuuuuchalibbreeeeeee stole his heart. In fact, he defeated Rey Mysterio's father in his first ever bout"

I can imagine Striker ranting and raving about how this is a world famous superstar.

... and getting it all wrong.

"He started out life as a crack addict looking for his next hit, but one day he found a wrestling ring and the sweet scent of luuuuuuchalibbreeeeeee stole his heart. In fact, he defeated Rey Mysterio's father in his first ever bout"

To be fair, Mistico's actual origin story is pretty cool anyway... story is he was an orphan who was trained in the ways of religion and lucha libre by wrestling Priest Fray Tormenta (the character on which Nacho Libre was loosely based). Fairly sure none of this will ever be referenced in WWE, except by Striker when Vince isn't listening in his headset.

Archived