FSM Thread

Vipes

I'd like to see more on NJPW too (besides the monthly iPPV reviews) - the group is so hot right now. I think it was Powerslam that did the retrospective on Tanahashi's career a little while back, which I thought was actually pretty good.

An article charting NJPW's history from inception, throughout the boom years, to its decline in the 2000s and subsequent resurgence in popularity from 2012 onwards would be great.

• Paid Members
Yeah. I think with The observer being available online every thursday and being topical to the day, and all the important and interesting news being pilfered out of it by all the Newz sites within 24 hours that there's probably no real place for much news in a mag. Now it'd probably benefit from lots more historical and opinion based stuff. Maybe a large and fleshy history of US Professional Wrestling on British TV? Covering from Sky Channel showing WWF Championship Wrestling to 7 disinterested viewers in Swindon in amongst Family Ties repeats and Aussie soaps in 1984, to today showing hours upon hours of content a week, via Screensport, Lifestyle, and that time they tried to put an NWA PPV on cable at the arse end of the 80s. I'd find that extremely interesting.

That (or at least the stuff up until 1992), along with the live shows US groups did, is pretty much the first half of the SummerSlam 1992 piece.

• Paid Members
I've not read it. Refresh my memory on the NWA PPV on cable over here. I could swear I read about it before. Might even have been one of your columsn.

Don't know much about that, but there's a guy on Wrestling Classics (The Mighty LC) who reckons his local cable station offered Starrcade 89 on a delay for a fiver.

I think it was Powerslam that did the retrospective on Tanahashi's career a little while back, which I thought was actually pretty good.

That was FSM. Tanahashi even posted about it on his blog, and sent us his personal thanks.

Apologies, I stand corrected. :blush:

In the past I felt the only thing PS had over FSM was its larger amount of puroresu coverage (which I think is why I misremembered) - though I see that beginning to change recently. Looking forward to any other similar articles you might have coming up.

• Moderators
I've not read it. Refresh my memory on the NWA PPV on cable over here. I could swear I read about it before. Might even have been one of your columsn.

Don't know much about that, but there's a guy on Wrestling Classics (The Mighty LC) who reckons his local cable station offered Starrcade 89 on a delay for a fiver.

That's the one!

• Paid Members

Lewis-Bruno was on Sky Sports. Bruno-Tyson in 1996 was the first Sky Box Office event as far as I know.

I'd imagine a local cable station could have just used a "spare" channel and effectively sold a subscription to it, but only have that one program on it. That said, this piece suggests PPV was a new concept over here in 1994:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cable...ce-1440931.html

• 2 weeks later...

Issue 97 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

9b9g1d.jpg

In this month's edition, FSM has feature-length articles on:

- Randy Orton, and how WWE has made a bold storyline statement by allowing art to imitate real life

- Daniel Bryan, and how the worst night of his professional career triggered a stardom he could barely have imagined

- Jim Ross, who talks to FSM about his life in wrestling while on tour in the UK

- Mid-South Wrestling, which is so fondly remembered as one of pro wrestling's premier territories of the 1980s

- Mick McManus, in the latest of FSM's acclaimed series of World of Sport wrestling biographies

- Ultimate Fighter competitors Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate, and how female combat in sports and entertainment has evolved in recent years.

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. Also, in this month's columns, Jim Cornette writes about his enjoyment of the recent Mid-Atlantic Wrestling Fanfest in Charlotte, and Nick “Magnus” Aldis tries to lighten the mood of recent serious columns by turning his wrath onto those he meets away from the ring. Comedian Billy Kirkwood also writes about the dangers of becoming infatuated with wrestling nostalgia.

The cheapest and easiest way to subscribe to FSM is via our website, here: http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/magazine/subscribe UK subscribers will receive their copy of FSM early (subject to a reliable postal service), and upon subscribing for 12 issues, will receive two additional issues absolutely free. This means that instead of paying a total of

Edited by Brian Elliott

• 2 weeks later...
Picked this up at the weekend - thought the article on Mid-South was tremendous.

Yeah, I thought it was really good as well.

It was my last issue of the subs, and this article aside I thought the mag was poor again. Won't be missing the mag going forward. Looking forward to my new subs to the Blizzard, Champions League Match day and Backpass.