FSM Thread

Vipes

• Paid Members

Been hearing that they are starting to turn a corner under their new editor but I have not managed to get a copy to see for myself.

So has the quality of the mag improved recently or is it still pretty much the same?

Edited by Vipes

I bought every single issue of the magazine from issue #3 right up until the fifth or sixth issue.

Seriously though, I would buy it sporadically after that if only for something to read if I was extremely bored and was travelling via train or on a long bus journey or whatever. I couldn't stand the thing; the posting quality on here, for the most part, blows that publication to bits. The constant grammatical and spelling errors aside, the actual content of the articles were (and I presume still are) absolutely shite.

One thing that annoyed me about the last issue I read was that it seemed as though every paragraph had to include the phrase: "Reads like a who's who...". For instance, "The Brighton Wrestling Alliance alumni reads like a who's who of sports entertainment greats, and that's before you visit the company's website where you can read about the BWA Junior Internet title and its illustrious lineage, which itself read's like a who's who of British wrestling greats."

The articles are poorly written and are full of illogical opinions. Plus, the captions underneath the pictures (especially in the DVD review section) were fucking childish and pathetic. For example, say there was a picture of an MMA fighter attempting to knee a grounded opponent, the caption would inevitably read something along the lines of "Shining Wizard !!11!!!1!!").

So in answer to your question mate, no; no I don't still read FSM.

• Paid Members

My mate swears by it and is trying to get me to buy it over PS. I had a read and some articles were decent and I might have ignored some of the glaring SPAG errors, but when I read a whole article devoted to "Flair = entertaining," they lost me a little. I'm firmly in the "Flair = embarrassment" camp. But that's a can of worms I have little to no desire of opening here.

Must admit the slightly more positive editorial in respect to some of the WWE tv/ppv write ups was refreshing in terms of "this was a good match," I found myself pining for PS' acerbic "this angle/storyline is shit/illogical because" jazz.

P.S. I am aware of the irony of decrying someone else's grammar in a post where I begin a sentence with a conjunction, so don't even bother pointing that out.

Edited by air_raid_crash

Its not a bad magazine its just alot of it is just the dirtsheets wrote out in a different way. The writers aren't terrible but there not brilliant. Its alot less negative than Powerslam which makes it easier to read. December's issue was pretty good - two nice interviews with Mick Foley & Bret Hart. They fucked up the cover though it says "reviewed inside" and has a picture of TNA's 50 moments but it isn't reviewed in the mag

Been hearing that they are starting to turn a corner under their new editor but I have not managed to get a copy to see for myself.

So has the quality of the mag improved recently or is it still pretty much the same?

In the last two issues, we've turned FSM on its head in terms of the style of writing, and overall voice of the magazine. We've overhauled our staff to meet professional print journalism standards, and we've expanded the scope of our wrestling coverage tremendously. Furthermore, FSM is now unquestionably a pro wrestling magazine - which, from my understanding, was a bone of contention at some points in its history.

I'm coming from a biased position, obviously, but if you have not checked out a recent edition of the magazine (issue 62 came out on Dec 30; issue 63 is out on January 27), then I would recommend you do so if you have been previously put off by the tone of FSM or other publications.

In all honesty, the feedback to the new regime, so to speak, has been very positive indeed, but I'd value any opinion from the UKFF that was made constructively and thoughtfully. I'll do my best to answer questions that I can.

Brian Elliott

Editor, Fighting Spirit Magazine

• Paid Members
In all honesty, the feedback to the new regime, so to speak, has been very positive indeed, but I'd value any opinion from the UKFF that was made constructively and thoughtfully.

Brian Elliott

:laugh:

In the last two issues, we've turned FSM on its head in terms of the style of writing, and overall voice of the magazine. We've overhauled our staff to meet professional print journalism standards, and we've expanded the scope of our wrestling coverage tremendously. Furthermore, FSM is now unquestionably a pro wrestling magazine - which, from my understanding, was a bone of contention at some points in its history.

I'm coming from a biased position, obviously, but if you have not checked out a recent edition of the magazine (issue 62 came out on Dec 30; issue 63 is out on January 27), then I would recommend you do so if you have been previously put off by the tone of FSM or other publications.

In all honesty, the feedback to the new regime, so to speak, has been very positive indeed, but I'd value any opinion from the UKFF that was made constructively and thoughtfully. I'll do my best to answer questions that I can.

Brian Elliott

I might be gullible as hell, but I'm gonna have a buy of it tomorrow now. It'd be nice if FSM was picking up the slack now the rival magazine's gone down the toilet.

I've always enjoyed reading FSM and think it's quite a good read. My only little problem with this month's issue was the cover advertising a review of TNA's 50 Greatest Moments DVD but inside I couldn't find it in the reviews section, I may not have looked well enough though.

I've always enjoyed reading FSM and think it's quite a good read. My only little problem with this month's issue was the cover advertising a review of TNA's 50 Greatest Moments DVD but inside I couldn't find it in the reviews section, I may not have looked well enough though.

Unfortunately, the TNA 50 Greatest Moments review was bumped at the last minute. I will try to find some time to put the review on our website, so that you can read it for free.

Unfortunately, the TNA 50 Greatest Moments review was bumped at the last minute. I will try to find some time to put the review on our website, so that you can read it for free.

That's fair enough, thanks Brian! Also any hints on trying to get into wrestling journalism? I've finished a degree in Journalism and English Literature and would like to try getting into wrestling journalism but don't really know where to start.

That's fair enough, thanks Brian! Also any hints on trying to get into wrestling journalism? I've finished a degree in Journalism and English Literature and would like to try getting into wrestling journalism but don't really know where to start.

Start a blog (Wordpress etc) and write as many different types of articles (news, features, live event reports, DVD reviews etc) as you can, and send a link to each new article to every pro wrestling news/information site that you can find. Once you've found a style of writing which suits you, start contacting those same websites asking if you can contribute to them. Once you've created a good resume of online work, then it's time to start pestering newspapers and magazines...