FSM Thread

Vipes

Here's a bit of advice that would seperate you from PowerSlam, Brian. Find writers with varying opinions. If you have 2 guys who hate TNA, sack one of them and find someone who loves it and vice-versa. And don't let one guy slap his opinion all over the magazine.

This, very much so. Last time I read FSM, it was guilty of the same thing PowerSlam and Every Wrestling Website Ever Besides Official Company Ones And Slam.Ca are guilty of: The tone was always "This is crap because it's not like ROH." It'd be nice to see the new FSM run stuff from writers who don't use the independent, hour-match promotions as their benchmark for entertainment.

I think it's fine for the dirtsheets and news sites to stick to that mindset because they're all catering largely to the same kind of fan and they're basically just opinion blogs, but a magazine stocked at local newsagents nationwide should have a wider scope and an attempt at balance. Wrestling's already a niche enough audience, and the majority of potential buyers are going to be fans of WWE, TNA, or both. It's silly to alienate those buyers when trying to establish a foothold.

Edited by Pityinthecityofsin

Here's a bit of advice that would seperate you from PowerSlam, Brian. Find writers with varying opinions. If you have 2 guys who hate TNA, sack one of them and find someone who loves it and vice-versa. And don't let one guy slap his opinion all over the magazine.

We would never employ a writer who "hates" WWE, TNA, or whichever promotion you care to name - to do so would be to go against any professional journalism standards. But that doesn't mean that we won't call out (insert name of company) when they make serious errors of judgement. It simply means that the writer doing so will have logical reasons, rather than any sort of wild bias.

Maybe so, but you can't help but feel as though the writer is being biased when it comes to certain topics of certain promotions. I like Rick's idea, maybe not someone who "hates" TNA/WWE or (insert promotion here) as such, because that'd still be biased, even arguing against someone who loves it. You need two open minded people with a preference.

I read FSM for the coverage of British Wrestling, which there isn't a lot. But those four pages are more then you'd get anywhere else.

This, very much so. Last time I read FSM, it was guilty of the same thing PowerSlam and Every Wrestling Website Ever Besides Official Company Ones And Slam.Ca are guilty of: The tone was always "This is crap because it's not like ROH." It'd be nice to see the new FSM run stuff from writers who don't use the independent, hour-match promotions as their benchmark for entertainment.

I implore you to actually check out a recent issue of FSM, because perhaps if you did, you'd realise that FSM preaches no such viewpoint of 'if it's not ROH it's crap', and is in fact the complete opposite of this, taking a very objective, impartial, fair and balanced view towards all types of wrestling, with the scope of their coverage obviously weighted to suit popularity/relevance.

By posting comments such as the above, you present yourself as of the same intelligence as the people you constantly denounce who slag off Cena, the PG era and WWE programming despite having not watched it for years.

Edited by A.P.

• Paid Members

I haven't read FSM for a long time. I'd pick up an issue when I was on holiday after I'd done with what ever book I'd taken with me or when a bloke on the market was selling un sold copies for about 50p. I miss him, its was a good read for that price.

One thing I hated at the time was how the whole mag had a singular slant, like it was all written by one person and the stupid nature of some of the articles, one early issue had 5 pages on what would have happened if Bischoff had bough WCW or something and its all just bullshit what ifs and Vince hate. I'm probably going back about 4 editors there, but sadly stuff like that sticks with me.

I'll try and look up some issues next time I'm near Smiths, which is out of town now, and see what its like. I'll give it a go, well a read next to the pic 'n' mix any way, see if its more my kind of mag now.

How long has Karl Stern been writing for FSM? His article in the current issue is one of the better ones I have read in a British wrestling mag in recent years.

Thank you for the kinds words, Happ.

We brought Karl in specifically to write that "When We Were Kings" article - he had never previously written for FSM.

I just had a read through one! Didn't know it was such a big magazine.

Will you be getting any more british wrestlers to write columns?

The magazine is huge compared to other wrestling publications, even more so when you compare the price.

Can I assume that you'd like to see more British wrestling/wrestlers featured? If so, please let me know your opinion, which will be taken into consideration.

I just had a read through one! Didn't know it was such a big magazine.

Will you be getting any more british wrestlers to write columns?

The magazine is huge compared to other wrestling publications, even more so when you compare the price.

Can I assume that you'd like to see more British wrestling/wrestlers featured? If so, please let me know your opinion, which will be taken into consideration.

Well I havn't read much of the magazine before. But from what I saw today its one I would be interested in buying each month if it had a lot of British wrestling in it. I see mainly Scottish shows so i'm biased to this side of the country. I'd like to read a column from someone like Lionheart who wrestles everywhere pretty much. the one to watch article was a really good read as well, especially as it was a female wrestler. Im told you do one of those every month :thumbsup:

A big interview with a British wrestler would be good also, to talk about themselves, dream matches and ambitions etc :)

I implore you to actually check out a recent issue of FSM, because perhaps if you did, you'd realise that FSM preaches no such viewpoint of 'if it's not ROH it's crap', and is in fact the complete opposite of this, taking a very objective, impartial, fair and balanced view towards all types of wrestling, with the scope of their coverage obviously weighted to suit popularity/relevance.

Aye, I'm gonna buy the current issue, good lad. As I said, that's what it was the last time I read it (which I think was late 2008, they'd just started doing that tabloid thing stuck on the front) -- and it seemed to still be the case recently, when they had a cover article called something like "Have we Cena Nuff? LOLZ Cena holding down The Miz."

I think Tommy hit the nail on the head, it all used to seem like it was written by the same person. And that person was like Fin Martin if he was brain damaged and grew up reading nothing but 411Mania columns. But it has gone through some changes since then, and I'm encouraged by Brian's words on here, so I'll give the latest one a go and see how it reads.

Seems to me this new editor means business. It's good to see the new man at the helm recognizes the mistakes the magazines made in the past and is attempting to recify them. To come on here and not react like Staniforth to some of the comments is a brilliant start.

I remember I asked to write for FSM under Denton and got this really, patronising, long winded, condisending e-mail off him saying why I couldn't write for him. It made me come to the conclusion he was a greasy haired, little tosser with delusions of granduer that he was Mr Big Shot at a magazine nobody buys nor likes.