FSM Thread

Vipes

This, very much so. Last time I read FSM, it was guilty of the same thing PowerSlam and Every Wrestling Website Ever Besides Official Company Ones And Slam.Ca are guilty of: The tone was always "This is crap because it's not like ROH." It'd be nice to see the new FSM run stuff from writers who don't use the independent, hour-match promotions as their benchmark for entertainment.

I implore you to actually check out a recent issue of FSM, because perhaps if you did, you'd realise that FSM preaches no such viewpoint of 'if it's not ROH it's crap', and is in fact the complete opposite of this, taking a very objective, impartial, fair and balanced view towards all types of wrestling, with the scope of their coverage obviously weighted to suit popularity/relevance.

Aye, I'm gonna buy the current issue, good lad. As I said, that's what it was the last time I read it (which I think was late 2008, they'd just started doing that tabloid thing stuck on the front) -- and it seemed to still be the case recently, when they had a cover article called something like "Have we Cena Nuff? LOLZ Cena holding down The Miz."

I think Tommy hit the nail on the head, it all used to seem like it was written by the same person. And that person was like Fin Martin if he was brain damaged and grew up reading nothing but 411Mania columns. But it has gone through some changes since then, and I'm encouraged by Brian's words on here, so I'll give the latest one a go and see how it reads.

what happend to the tabloid thing?

I have got more or less every issue in the last 2 years, its the best wrestling magazine out there,i can honestly say some issues i have read every single article in them. More on britishish wrestling, womens and ROH would be appriciated though!

• Paid Members

Bought todays at work but aside from the Final Battle article, didnt get chance to read it yet. As a ROHbot, it was nice to see the coverage, but it needed tightening up.

Must admit the retrospective on past Final Battles read as though it was written by someone who had read the results of the shows but not actually watched them.

* Describing Danielson v Low Ki from FB'04 as a "pro wrestling wet dream" - not really, they never seemed to get above 2nd gear and it had a really shitty non finish.

* Criticizing FB'07 for not having a stand out headline main event - truly it should have been pointed out that there was a four-way world title match scheduled that was only cancelled because the champion (Nigel) was concussed the night before at the PPV taping.

* Saying FB'07 was instantly forgettable (or words to that effect) is simply rubbish. Any serious ROH fan who watched that show saw the Briscoes record-setting tag team title reign terminated by the Age of the Fall in a great match with a cracking finish, which the NYC crowd responded to with some of the loudest boos I've ever heard. I will NEVER forget that, never mind "instantly."

Moreover some of the editorial needed tweaking. Saying the fanbase has thought of Davey Richards as potentially the next world champion for "several years" raised my eyebrow, and making reference to Jay Lethal vs Weapon of Mask Destruction 2 in an article with heavy focus on Kevin Steen v El Generico, it might have been worth mentioning that the Weapon in question was Generico, to illustrate how far he has come.

Just one man's opinion.

Bought todays at work but aside from the Final Battle article, didnt get chance to read it yet. As a ROHbot, it was nice to see the coverage, but it needed tightening up.

Must admit the retrospective on past Final Battles read as though it was written by someone who had read the results of the shows but not actually watched them.

* Describing Danielson v Low Ki from FB'04 as a "pro wrestling wet dream" - not really, they never seemed to get above 2nd gear and it had a really shitty non finish.

* Criticizing FB'07 for not having a stand out headline main event - truly it should have been pointed out that there was a four-way world title match scheduled that was only cancelled because the champion (Nigel) was concussed the night before at the PPV taping.

* Saying FB'07 was instantly forgettable (or words to that effect) is simply rubbish. Any serious ROH fan who watched that show saw the Briscoes record-setting tag team title reign terminated by the Age of the Fall in a great match with a cracking finish, which the NYC crowd responded to with some of the loudest boos I've ever heard. I will NEVER forget that, never mind "instantly."

Moreover some of the editorial needed tweaking. Saying the fanbase has thought of Davey Richards as potentially the next world champion for "several years" raised my eyebrow, and making reference to Jay Lethal vs Weapon of Mask Destruction 2 in an article with heavy focus on Kevin Steen v El Generico, it might have been worth mentioning that the Weapon in question was Generico, to illustrate how far he has come.

Just one man's opinion.

Hey,

I just wanted to address your post as the article in question was written by myself.

Firstly, thanks for the feedback- it's good to actually get some constructive criticism. Rest assurred, it wasn't put together off the top of my head, I've been following the promotion for some time now, and have done pretty much every ROH review that the mag has printed.

-In terms of Ki/Dragon, I know the bout itself was a disappointment, however in the article itself, I was largely dealing with the anticipation towards the match. If that wasn't clear, I apologise. It's something I'll work on.

-Likewise, I'd have hoped it would have came across clearer in the story that I was particularly criticising the 07 show in terms of quality but moreso the lack of a an extra spark. The show didn't come across in the context I was placing it as one that had the same character and shape of other shows. For me, it was lost in the mix somewhat, and it's ended up being overlooked. I probably came across slightly harsh in that regard but I defintely was not aiming to crap on the show at all. Personally, I also loved the AOTF tag bout.

As for the Generico thing- good point. I guess with space restrictions we all prioritise different things and there was alot I was trying to get in, It's an aside people would certainly have been interested in.

Honestly though, cheers for the honest appraisal! Indeed it's good to see people giving FSM another go at the moment.

• Paid Members

In terms of anticipation for FB 07 you couldnt be more right. Reason being the card was raped by the PPV being recorded the night before. On Rising Above we were promised the blow offs to Hero/Claudio and Danielson/Morishima, as well as (personally) the more attractive World title singles match of Nigel v Aries. The PPV even had a tag title defence so its not as though Final Battle even had that to hold over the Rising Above card. I understand in a way trying to make each card seem important - one because its a PPV, the other because "it's Final Battle," but they really could have held a strong card on the friday night without damaging the "real" bigger matches, and had Final Battle BE the pay per view next night, consisting of :

Nigel VS Aries

Danielson VS Morishima

Claudio VS Hero

Briscoes VS AOTF

Strong VS Stevens

FB'07 does stand out somewhat as "yeah, we kind of ignored this in favour of the PPV."

The other bit of the mag I found time to read was the Bret interview, and I was impressed no punches were pulled - mentioning Julie's comments about his "double life" and his inability to perform to his old standard as opposed to asking the "easy" questions.

Michael has stepped in here already to respond to your comments (likewise, I thank you for your constructive criticism), but for the sake of accuracy, I just wanted to mention that the quote from the article regarding Final Battle 2007 was actually: "(Final Battle 2007) was a quality effort from top to bottom, but largely forgettable".

Thanks for reading!

Sneaky fuckers have clearly been lurking on here for a while :D

I guessed as much when i saw a screen grab of ukff a few issues back :laugh:

having just read the latest issue i like to give a big thank you for the Robbie E and Cookie article, those 2 were probably my favorite new mainstream wrestlers of '10 so i really enjoyed reading about how they came to be where they are today. Also thank to your review i will be picking up Evolve 5.

keep up the good work

• Paid Members

Having read the whole mag today, I was pleased that it had plenty of titbits that I didnt know, even though I assume a lot of fans do know them (Hardys as the jesters at King of the Ring 95, allegations as to how Tommy Rich "earned" his NWA title reign and so on).

I'll let my colleague buy it next month and if I enjoy it as much as this months, Ill buy it every month thereafter.