FSM Thread

Vipes

FSM Exclusive: Magnus Earns Improved TNA Deal

Fighting Spirit Magazine is delighted to confirm that our monthly columnist, Nick "Magnus" Aldis, has re-signed with TNA Wrestling.

"I'm very happy to confirm that I have signed a new two-year deal, on improved terms. It came down to the wire between TNA, myself, and my agent, but ultimately we came to a mutually beneficial agreement," Aldis said in a statement to FSM.

"I'm really excited about the new structure and more streamlined team. It's important to know that while some people may be moving on, TNA is focusing on their priority guys. Simply - earn your spot, and be rewarded. I can only speak for myself, but my career has steadily progressed financially throughout my entire time with the company."

Indeed, TNA has recently been criticised for, under various circumstances, allowing the likes of Bruce Prichard, DOC, Tara, Doug Williams and Jesse Sorensen to depart the organisation. FSM is also aware of at least one high-profile TNA contract offer that has been verbally dismissed by the employee in question.

On the bright side, FSM can confirm that top talents Samoa Joe and Bobby Roode have also signed new deals with TNA, adding credence to Aldis' suggestion that recent roster and behind the scenes changes are more of a case of streamlining of talent rather than dropping contracts out of financial necessity.

Spill the beans then Brian?

Must say, I enjoy FSM, but those Magnus articles are so shite. He comes across as the biggest nob in wrestling. Such politically fueled bollocks. You'd think he was playing for Man United and you should be happy you work there the way he talks about other wrestlers complaining about the horrendous way TNA treats their wrestlers.

I can't believe he is wasting his time in TNA. Surely WWE would take him? He is constantly improving and isn't totally shite like when he first debuted. I can only assume no WWE deal was on the table as staying with a company as horrid and unstable as TNA right now is surely a bad move. Then again, he does get to wear a suit to work now.

But he definitely comes off like a dick in FSM. The last few months have been especially annoying for me personally. Its still better than Alex Shane. But only just.

He is hardly wasting his time is he?

Yeah ok its not WWE where the big Money gets earned but as he states he is making more than he was last year.

You say TNA is a horrid company,other than WWE where if you are a Wrestler right now would you rather work?

(Please don't say ROH as I have a cough this week and laughing that hard may give me a fit)

• Paid Members
(Please don't say ROH as I have a cough this week and laughing that hard may give me a fit)

I know Kevin Steen is paid more money than a large portion of the TNA roster and that a few ROH wrestlers have turned down TNA contracts in the last few months because of how shit the money is. The difference between TNA and ROH is, the ROH fan base will pay money to support their wrestlers, thus if they are over they will be on good money. I bet Magnus' royalty cheque is laughable compared to a relative nobody like Jimmy Jacobs.

Also when Kevin Steen was sent home by ROH, Cary Silkin gave him money out of his own pocket when he wasn't even under contract out of loyalty. If Magnus got injured tomorrow, I bet the only thing TNA would send him is his P45.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Fair play but do you not think Magnus has a decent wage than prob is more than the undercard of ROH?

What you say makes sense in that the over guys in ROH but is it not the same in TNA?(i.e the guys they are big on they look after,i mean Magnus is One of them)

Thing is, Magnus isn't a star. No non ex-WWE wrestler in TNA is a star. So if you think he is getting anywhere near as much money as people like Ken Anderson etc then you're probably waaaaay off. Same goes for the upper echelon of home grown talent like AJ, Joe etc. I can't see how someone like Magnus that means absolutely nothing to business or most fans would constitute a decent salary.

My point was that someone of his size, age and look would likely fair far better in the company that matters. Even jobber clowns like Drew McIntyre will make more money than a lot of the TNA crew. In fact, he probably earns more than their world champion.

Also there's the ego and exposure factors. As frustrating as it might be, more people know who JTG is than Magnus.

Ive not said he was a star but and im only guessing here i feel TNA will pay a decent wedge to make him think twice about a basic contract offer from WWE if One were to arise

As a few TNA main event guys know the big World of WWE can eat you up and spit you out

People like Roode who would be fantastic the in WWE have no promises that they will get certain spots ect...and that's a good thing I guess

But a few TNA guys opt for the easy life and solid wage.

Maybe Magnus feels the same

(though I reckon he would sigh in a jiffy )

• Paid Members
Fair play but do you not think Magnus has a decent wage than prob is more than the undercard of ROH?

What you say makes sense in that the over guys in ROH but is it not the same in TNA?(i.e the guys they are big on they look after,i mean Magnus is One of them)

Well if Magnus was in ROH, he would be one of the biggest name there based on his TNA run, so he'd probably be making good money also. Matt Hardy is in Ring of Honor, and he doesn't come cheap. And he's 10 times the star Magnus is.

I don't know what Magnus' wages are in TNA. But I bet he's nowhere near the level of the shittest ex-WWE wrestler wage scale.

As a few TNA main event guys know the big World of WWE can eat you up and spit you out

People like Roode who would be fantastic the in WWE have no promises that they will get certain spots ect...and that's a good thing I guess

But a few TNA guys opt for the easy life and solid wage.

That mentality is long dead. Most wrestlers would rather be chewed up by WWE and get paid doing it than work for TNA and have to put up with their bullshit. Roode (who you mentioned) stopped showing up for TV tapings because they didn't give him the respect to actually sort his contract out. And that's if TNA even pays them. The likes of Roode and Storm are so intrenched in the TNA world, that WWE is probably a risk at their age unless TNA goes out of business. Magnus is still in his 20s. If he has any aspirations in the business there's only one place to fulfill them.

I like the magazine but it does seem to have dipped in quality a bit from last year when you had the fantastic 6 page AJPW article among others.

I don't see the point in reviewing WWE and UFC PPV events on DVD when they have already been reviewed as live events only months earlier. I'd rather see more reviews of things like PWG and shoot interview releases, maybe the Kayfabe Commentaries ones.

I agree about the "university essay" style of some of the articles. Will Cooling seemed to go months writing articles with only a tangential connection to pro-wrestling or MMA, seemingly trying to build up a portfolio of "real sports" articles. Luke Dormehl's articles come across very dry, as does Michael Campbell. Alan Counihan's articles are usually very good, as are David Ditch's.

The magazine is still way, way better than Powerslam though.

Thanks for the feedback. I hope you'll be pleased with an article in the September issue that takes on a territory in much the same way as the All Japan article. Alan Counihan will also be back.

We haven't reviewed a WWE PPV DVD (apart from WrestleMania, which we had lots of emails asking for) in quite some time, although we have done a couple of UFC DVDs recently. We've reviewed every PWG DVD for probably about a year now. Still, I see what I can do to change it up a bit.

Thanks again.

I was in two minds about this anyway, but this months issue, and Magnus's article especially, has made me make the decision not to renew my subscription this year. The content Is just getting to the point where I can finish all I am interested in in about 25 minutes each month.

Have to say I agree with this. I used to buy the magazine consistently from my local Smiths and from about 18 months ago, it is very rare I pick up a copy. I used to be able to take it home and dip in and out of it over a course of a few days (better than reading the back of a shampoo bottle) an then pass it on to the missus to read. She is a huge TNA fan, and even with your coverage of TNA, she is no longer interested in reading as she says it is very samey. I do enjoy the Jim Cornette article as he always seems to be passionate about the topic he is discussing. But I can read through the interesting parts whilst still in the shop waiting for the missus to be done in Boots.

When making my choice, I tend now to always pick up a copy of FourFourTwo instead as for an extra pound, it is jam packed with insightful, diverse and entertaining content. It even has a nutrition and development section for aspiring footballers which is incredible...On the other hand, the advice for aspiring wrestlers in FSM comes from a small article by Alex Shane, where he shamelessly self promotes and offers very little actionable advice. Nothing really about what cardio to be doing, what is a good lifting program, what videos to study... I think you are missing a trick there. Maybe his advice is more in depth if you join his online school or go and live with him and scrub his bog for a year.

Thanks for your thoughts.

What would you personally like to see us cover? We've looked at cardiovascular and strength conditioning for pro wrestling before, but it may be long enough ago that it would be interesting again.

• Moderators
I like the magazine but it does seem to have dipped in quality a bit from last year when you had the fantastic 6 page AJPW article among others.

I don't see the point in reviewing WWE and UFC PPV events on DVD when they have already been reviewed as live events only months earlier. I'd rather see more reviews of things like PWG and shoot interview releases, maybe the Kayfabe Commentaries ones.

I agree about the "university essay" style of some of the articles. Will Cooling seemed to go months writing articles with only a tangential connection to pro-wrestling or MMA, seemingly trying to build up a portfolio of "real sports" articles. Luke Dormehl's articles come across very dry, as does Michael Campbell. Alan Counihan's articles are usually very good, as are David Ditch's.

The magazine is still way, way better than Powerslam though.

Thanks for the feedback. I hope you'll be pleased with an article in the September issue that takes on a territory in much the same way as the All Japan article. Alan Counihan will also be back.

We haven't reviewed a WWE PPV DVD (apart from WrestleMania, which we had lots of emails asking for) in quite some time, although we have done a couple of UFC DVDs recently. We've reviewed every PWG DVD for probably about a year now. Still, I see what I can do to change it up a bit.

Thanks again.

I reckon you should pay me to watch DVDs and review them and I can comment on the ring attire and hairdos. You thought of asking Bix or someone to write for FSM? His articles for Bleacher Report are quality.

I have my doubts as to if Magnus would get over in ROH though

Why? I think someone like him would be great in Ring of Honor.

Don't get me wrong I really like him and he is One of my highlights when watching Impact these days

I just have a gut feeling the ROH fans may not warm to him

I think he is One the the most improved guys in Wrestling in the last 18 months

• Paid Members
What would you personally like to see us cover?

Crush died 6 years ago yesterday. You should do an article on the big mans passing. Power Slam patronized him in death, which I thought was a disgrace. "Shit worker, know for being shit died. He was shit". Of course I'm paraphrasing. You should do a 4 page article profiling his career and what he meant to us.

I'd like to see more articles aimed at the British fan. Like articles regarding milestones from the boom period of the early 90s. Battle Royal at the Albert Hall, Davey Boys popularity, the Slam Jam single and the hype surrounding it. Wrestling was massive in this country at the time. I'd like to see you do some stuff on that.