The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

I've been reading Power Slam for about 16 years.

When I started reading it was my first exposure to non-kayfabe material, and it resuscitated my dying interest in wrestling, which I'd been a die-hard fan of for about 7 years at that point.

I was now exposed to what was "really" going on, and introduced to ECW and the various Japanese promotions. Obtaining my copy of the magazine was something I looked forward too and counted down the days, and I even racked up the odd expensive call to the hotline on my parents phone!

The dream years ended for me when John Lister and Rob Butcher stopped writing for the magazine. I still purchase the magazine out of habit - obviously the internet supplies all the info I need. However, there's no denying that Fin Martin's outright attacks on certain folk are crazy. His relentless digs at Drew McIntyre, for example, astound me.

As I've read the mag for so long I feel attached to it (and through it Martin) in a way that you'd normally associate with a colleague, friend, or family member. Martin's recent comments on some things make me worry the guys about to crack up or having some kind of difficulty.

I mean the guy was really kind to me as I wanted a couple of back issues and sent a postal order - one issue was no longer available, but he sent me lots of other issues (including SoW) of his own back. The harsher way he comes across I doubt he'd be so generous now!

Those are my thoughts exactly. Fin seems like a decent bloke and I've read his magazine for over ten years, but certain things - like the bizarre grudges against John Cena, Chris Jericho, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Kevin Nash, Mark Henry and others - make me wonder if he's alright. The most alarming comment he made was when he said that Cena vs. Miz at WrestleMania "F'N sucked". I know the match wasn't the best and PS needs a certain amount of editorial opinion, but that was a very strange thing for a professional journalist to write.

Buying an ad should never mean you're immune from criticism.

Buying an ad in a publication that does nothing but attack your product kind of proves you're dismissive of and impervious to criticism, if not immune. If someone publishes a shit game and advertises it in your magazine, then they are doing so with confidence that their ad will mean more to your readership than your negative review of the game will. I don't know if your attitude in such scenarios is more "lol stupid publisher doesn't realise my readers will never buy this game when they see the score we give it, keep lining my pockets, fools" or "fuck, our reviews are ultimately meaningless, I'm depressed" or whether you're not involved with the ad sales and don't think about it. But I know PowerSlam's pretty much a one-man shop, so Fin'll be whacking the Royal Rumble DVD advert into his Microsoft Publisher* file for the next issue at the same time as he's writing about how it was terrible and Daniel Bryan should've done the clean double. It's got to be a bit soul-destroying for him to know that Silver Vision reckon his readership might be entertained by his opinions, but definitely won't be swayed by them.

*I can't imagine PowerSlam is put together with anything else.

Actually a former colleague and good friend of mine, Oliver Hurley, writes the DVD reviews. And he's given plenty of four- and five-star reviews to SilverVision/WWE products.

Oliver Hurley also comes out with Martinesque baby nonsense every month though. Take this months issue for instance, he seems to like Memphis Heat, but nit picks about the archive footage being of a poor quality. Just put your common sense hat on for a second - what did he expect exactly - its archive footage. Its only going to be as good as the source of 30 year old VHS. Idiot.

• Paid Members
It comes out every four weeks

It doesn't, Ronnie. Either because of the workload or dwindling readership, it's every five or six weeks now.

I suppose I should've known that. Just to be contrarian I signed up for a year a few months ago when you were all lambasting it in this thread, and then immediately regretted not having it sent in the missus's name so I could count it as one of her Christmas presents.

Edited by Ronnie

• Paid Members
Buying an ad should never mean you're immune from criticism.

Buying an ad in a publication that does nothing but attack your product kind of proves you're dismissive of and impervious to criticism, if not immune. If someone publishes a shit game and advertises it in your magazine, then they are doing so with confidence that their ad will mean more to your readership than your negative review of the game will. I don't know if your attitude in such scenarios is more "lol stupid publisher doesn't realise my readers will never buy this game when they see the score we give it, keep lining my pockets, fools" or "fuck, our reviews are ultimately meaningless, I'm depressed" or whether you're not involved with the ad sales and don't think about it. But I know PowerSlam's pretty much a one-man shop, so Fin'll be whacking the Royal Rumble DVD advert into his Microsoft Publisher* file for the next issue at the same time as he's writing about how it was terrible and Daniel Bryan should've done the clean double. It's got to be a bit soul-destroying for him to know that Silver Vision reckon his readership might be entertained by his opinions, but definitely won't be swayed by them.

*I can't imagine PowerSlam is put together with anything else.

I've wondered that so many times whether he does actually use publisher

The dig in the latest issue about someone's haircut was a bit strange.

Can't recall who exactly they're talking about but it's like 'A main eventer would not have a hairstyle like that' as though that's ever mattered in professional wrestling.

It still has the ability to crack me up with the most simplistic of lines though.

It was reviewing the Royal Rumble skit with Hornswoggle and Teddy Long and it read:

'Backstage Long had some bad news for Hornswoggle; His attempts to talk jive were "just horrible" To sideste a recurrence Long handed him a coy of Rosetta Stone Ebonics Level 1. "With this you can never embarrass yourself anymore" said Long helpfully.'

I'm convinced this was written to amuse, got me anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm sure it's out only out every five or six weeks now. Scary to think that I stopped collecting the magazines six years ago (starting from issue seventy-something) because I thought it was getting a bit shit and way too negative. Haven't even glanced at one in such a long time, I dread to think what it's like now.

New issue is out today/tomorrow. It's only every five or six weeks now, presumably because of the dwindling audience. I'm one of about four people on here who still buys it, and it's purely out of habit. And they're testing my patience with that, the last issue seemed to have more of those bland results-and-photos pages from Chinese and no-name shows than ever before.

The Rock showed weakness in the show-closing segment on Raw. John Cena looked very strong. Great line about Rock having notes on his wrist.

Powerslam's twitter page.

First time in a while Fin Martin has said something good about John Cena?

Edited by The Natural