Dexter Season 5 *SPOILERS*

JLM

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Overall, the series has been very, very good. I wouldn't say it was quite as good as series 4 but, credit to them, it came close. Julia Stiles and Jonny Lee Miller were both very good as was Peter Weller (I was genuinely miffed when Liddy got killed off). Already looking forward to the sixth enstalment.

Overall, the series has been very, very good. I wouldn't say it was quite as good as series 4 but, credit to them, it came close. Julia Stiles and Jonny Lee Miller were both very good as was Peter Weller (I was genuinely miffed when Liddy got killed off). Already looking forward to the sixth enstalment.

Yeah decent series but a very lame end.

Presumably Miami pd will find the car Dexter stole with his blood inside at the scene of Chases murder. And his and Lumens DNA in the same room.

And maybe they will wonder where the fuck he was after he left Liddys crime scene to go back to the lab to run tests.

Hopefully they will get answered in series 6. But will probably just end with Dexter getting away with it all again.

I really enjoyed the series but feel like there were so many unanswered questions that it could have done with one more episode. Felt bad for Dexter, will he ever find love? :(

How on earth did Deb "solve" the barrel girls case when none of the suspects have been found and there was no evidence Jordan Chase was involved?

Why did the 5 guys rape the girls and why didn't Chase get involved?

What happened to the other Fuentes brother?

But that's just nitpicking. As said, I enjoyed the series even though the pacing was a bit odd towards the end. Enjoyed the Lumen character and Jordan Chase although I'm disappointed we never found out his motivation behind raping and killing women.

• Paid Members

Did it seem like Jonny Lee Miller was auditioning to replace Heath Ledger as the Joker to anyone else? I liked how things went down, things seemed to unfold nicely. Obviously not what everyone was expecting but I'm not disappointed, even though I would have liked either a) massive bloodshed or b) Dexter getting caught by Deb. I did like how the episode ended in the way that older Dexter episodes used to; the slow motion observations by Dexter of things going on with others, the familiar music and him with a blank, muted expression on his face. Could season 6 be closer to season 1 & 2?

• Paid Members

Did it seem like Jonny Lee Miller was auditioning to replace Heath Ledger as the Joker to anyone else? I liked how things went down, things seemed to unfold nicely. Obviously not what everyone was expecting but I'm not disappointed, even though I would have liked either a) massive bloodshed or b) Dexter getting caught by Deb. I did like how the episode ended in the way that older Dexter episodes used to; the slow motion observations by Dexter of things going on with others, the familiar music and him with a blank, muted expression on his face. Could season 6 be closer to season 1 & 2?

• Paid Members

That's very weird. Whilst not thinking he would be an immediate replacement for the joker at the time (which based on this episode he would do a very good job of), I did think he would be very good as a villian in Christopher Nolan's vision of Batman.

As a whole, the episode was good but not brilliant. Jordan Chase's murder seemed too easy for my liking and the tension didnt build as I had hoped. The Quinn issue seemed to be resolved too easily as well. It did seem to indicate towards the end that Dexter is going back to his season 1 & 2 version of himself. You get the feeling he may give up trying to meet someone and sort of become that empty shell he was in the earlier seasons.

It seems quite a lot of fans couldnt buy into Dexter falling in love with Lumen and Rita to a degree. In earlier seasons he portrays himself as a man incapable of love and fans seemed to be fixated on this which I personally felt a crock of shit. I found his ability to love someone more a natural growth of his character and something he was discovering about himself. He hadn't allowed himself to feel these types of emotions as Harry in a way made of follow a life which wouldn't allow it.

Anyway, a stunning season again and I can't wait for season 6.

I actually thought it was a little predictable. Deb letting them go, Dex clearing Quinn and Lumen had to leave somehow. Still I really enjoyed it, mainly due to another powerhouse performance from Michael C Hall. It'll be interesting to see where they go next season, another quality year in the bag though.

• Paid Members
I actually thought it was a little predictable. Deb letting them go, Dex clearing Quinn and Lumen had to leave somehow. Still I really enjoyed it, mainly due to another powerhouse performance from Michael C Hall. It'll be interesting to see where they go next season, another quality year in the bag though.

This is the thing, i didn't know what to expect here. Deb letting them go may have been the logical thing to do, but I was also semi expecting Dex to reveal himself from behind the plastic curtain...which I might add was very fortunate to be there!

However, whilst the idea of Deb finding out about Dexter is great, I think for the show's format it's a story best left till the very last season IMO.

This is the thing, i didn't know what to expect here. Deb letting them go may have been the logical thing to do, but I was also semi expecting Dex to reveal himself from behind the plastic curtain...which I might add was very fortunate to be there!

However, whilst the idea of Deb finding out about Dexter is great, I think for the show's format it's a story best left till the very last season IMO.

I actually really liked that scene. I thought she would let them go, but then when she shot the gun it was pretty tense and made me think again before she did eventually go. I thought Jennifer Carpenter did a great job there, in fact this has probably been her strongest season performance wise.

A theory. Dexter has always killed off those that have come close to catching him or turning him in. The big exception is going to be Debs. There is no way he'll kill her, so when she does find out (and she will) it will go one of two ways. The first, she'll turn him in and that will be the end of the show. The second, she'll accept it and the show continues but in a different direction. The question is, how do you want it to go?

Meh, some good scenes and moments (Jonny Lee Miller during his death scene was particulally good) but a disappointing end to a disappointing season. Everything was neatly wrapped in a bow never to be mentioned again, nothing really changed and the payoff to the storylines just weren't very satisfying. Add into that a bunch of plotholes and sloppyness and it just doesn't really make for that good an episode.

This season has kinda proven that Dexter is a fairly average show raised up by an interesting premise and some fantastic acting - unfortunately as time goes on its shallowness and other poor traits are becoming more obvious. Hopefully the writers will take on board the generally negative opinions this season (I'm certainly not the only one saying what I'm saying, and thankfully its being said by some prominent types) - and start building storylines in a interesting way (deciding how many more seasons they want to do would really help I think)

• Paid Members
Meh, some good scenes and moments (Jonny Lee Miller during his death scene was particulally good) but a disappointing end to a disappointing season. Everything was neatly wrapped in a bow never to be mentioned again, nothing really changed and the payoff to the storylines just weren't very satisfying. Add into that a bunch of plotholes and sloppyness and it just doesn't really make for that good an episode.

This season has kinda proven that Dexter is a fairly average show raised up by an interesting premise and some fantastic acting - unfortunately as time goes on its shallowness and other poor traits are becoming more obvious. Hopefully the writers will take on board the generally negative opinions this season (I'm certainly not the only one saying what I'm saying, and thankfully its being said by some prominent types) - and start building storylines in a interesting way (deciding how many more seasons they want to do would really help I think)

I completely agree that the episode was a disappointing end to the season but I still think the season overall was very good. To be honest part of the reason the finale felt so anticlimatic was BECAUSE of how well it was built up.

I am sort of hoping that next season is the last though. There isn't really a lot of directions for them to go now, and the obvious ones (What if Debs finds out? etc) have been teased enough times that there is a good chance it would turn out to be as anti climatic as the end to this season was.

I really don't want this show to stay on so long that it becomes a parody of itself.

• 4 months later...

Archived