Dexter Season 5 *SPOILERS*

JLM

• Paid Members

So, Dexter Season 5 premiered last Sunday and it's probably best that this doesn't encroach on the existing season 4 thread, which walks the line between U.S. and U.K. pace quite tenuously.

So, S5 then.

Seen episode one?

Can this Season possibly live up to S4?

Last season was easily the high point of the entire run for me, particularly after a comparatively weak third series, so I'm very interested to see where they go from here.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm quite enjoying it so far. I'm hoping the Dexter/Quinn storyline that's evolving doesn't turn into another Doakes situation. Quinn will at some point will show a picture of Dexter to Arthur Mitchells family and they will confirm that he's Kyle Butler. It will be intriguing to see how he gets out of it though.

I thought the scene from this week when Cody & Astor left was a little heartbreaking, you could see the hurt in his eyes.

And Debs is still hideous.

Dexter Season 4 was one of my favourite seasons of any show ever, so I'm trying hard not to enter the latest season holding on to that too much.

However, it sticks with you, just like it does with Dexter.

Episode 1 was great. They really got it spot on with his grief I thought.

Still got Ep2 to watch but definitely looking forward to it.

Yeah, it will have to be amazing to compare with season 4. I still can't get over what an inspired performance it was from John Lithgow. Anyway, season 5 has started off pretty well. Apparently Johnny Lee Miller (JLM) is in it this year. If any one has seen the 2nd episode can they tell me if that was his voice on the tape recording?

Are we talking at US pace?

That's normally the case so I would guess so.

Dexter Season 4 was one of my favourite seasons of any show ever, so I'm trying hard not to enter the latest season holding on to that too much.

That scene was insane. Sent a chill down my spine.

Sums it up. The rawness in Dexter's attack on the unfortunate sod that crossed him is superb. The aftermath, with him breaking down and Harry (who has flipped on his head and encouraged the family element??!!) is fantastic.

On to episode 2 ASAP!!

• Moderators

I was worried that this season would be slow and boring compared to Season 4, and so far it does have a bit of that. I really hope they don't rehash the Doakes storyline.

Deb banging Quinn was predictable. I've found myself getting a bit of a lazy lob-on for Deb recently though - this is concerning.

Anyone find themselves hating Astor?

I'm finding it hard to form an opinion on this season so far. Very little happening, it's been well directed, performed, written but I'm not engaged at all.. Feels like a repeat of season 2 and Quinn is no Doakes - plus theres little tension - Dex isn't going to get caught at this point in the game. I think the Shield has spoilt me as far as anti-heroes and the fear of them getting caught.

Cult storyline looks like it could be interesting, or alternatively utterly ridiculous. I really hope they aren't borrowing book 3's plotline

I'm finding it hard to form an opinion on this season so far. Very little happening, it's been well directed, performed, written but I'm not engaged at all.. Feels like a repeat of season 2 and Quinn is no Doakes - plus theres little tension - Dex isn't going to get caught at this point in the game. I think the Shield has spoilt me as far as anti-heroes and the fear of them getting caught.

Cult storyline looks like it could be interesting, or alternatively utterly ridiculous. I really hope they aren't borrowing book 3's plotline

Yeah, OK on paper, but not very good for the screen i think.

I think it was a good move getting rid of the kids for now, single dad Dexter coping has been great and dramatic for the first couple but it would've really hindered the show moving forward. Its been set up really nicely, this kind of start was needed as you can't just gloss over Rita's death.

Yeah, OK on paper, but not very good for the screen i think.

I was more refering to the godawful SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

supernatural / demonic posession stuff

from the books which you couldn't avoid doing if they closely followed that story. I'm not too worried though - they've used very little from the books following the 1st season

• Awards Moderator

I'm loving it so far. They appear to slowly be showing the cracks in Dexter's emotionless demeanour, with him gradually finding that he is capable of the feelings he once thought he was devoid of. It wouldn't have been too OTT to start the season where S4 left off with twists and turns, so hopefully they're laying the foundations for a few headfucks in the later episodes. As Steve Justice mentioned, that scene where he flips and kills the hick in the public bathroom was chilling.

One thing I adored was Dexter breaking the news of Rita's death to the kids whilst wearing Mickey Mouse ears. Just superb.

• Paid Members

Caught up with this weeks episode, more cracks in Dexter's facade as he showed real attachment towards the kids.

Cults showing up???? Hmmmm....

I'm interested to see what's in store for Quinn/Dexter but I hope, like others, that it isn't Doakes Jr.

I'm really enjoying the season so far, sure it's quite slow paced in a few ways but it's exactly what's needed. Dexter's cracks are really starting to expose a slightly more human side to him and the scene with Astor and Cody leaving was pretty darn sad. Having recently watched all of six feet under (between the last season of dexter and this one) i quite enjoyed the funeral home scenes.

I'm also hoping we don't see a rehash of the doakes storyline, but i'm confident in the writing team and don't think that'll happen in this show.

Liking the look of the scene they released from the next episode too.

Archived