The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• 1 year later...
What was your favourite retro gaming console/magazines when you was growing up? 

I can go as far back as the Atari 2600 Jr. 

The Smurfs, Roadrunner, River Raid, Jungle Hunt, Mario Bros of course PacMan. 

Magazines has to be the Mean Machines run later known Mean Machines Sega up-til 1997.

• Paid Members

I loved "Crash" for the Spectrum. You had all sorts of cool shit on the covertape. I remember loving a game called "Armageddon Man", which I haven't seen anywhere since. You played, basically, God and you were trying to stop World War 3 (not WCW). It was a turn based strategy game. I remember you didn't want to mess with Libya and Ghadaffi or they'd drop the Nukes quite easily. Played better than it sounds.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

What was your favourite retro gaming console/magazines when you was growing up? 

I can go as far back as the Atari 2600 Jr. 

The Smurfs, Roadrunner, River Raid, Jungle Hunt, Mario Bros of course PacMan. 

Magazines has to be the Mean Machines run later known Mean Machines Sega up-til 1997.

Think my favourite comsole was the SNES, despite me not owning one until after the N64 was released (I had a Mega Drive, during the 16 bit wars, which is still far better than the current consoles IMO)

Favourite Magazines - TOTAL! - which I still have in pristine condition, I also use to buy Sega Power and Mega (Untill it moved from Future Publishing to Maverick Magazines) I aslo brought the first years worth of Edge Magazine.

Speaking of magazines, who remembers Arcade Magazine from the late 1990's ? Was a good magazine whihc had a pretty small run.

• Paid Members

I loved "Crash" for the Spectrum. You had all sorts of cool shit on the covertape.

Crash was such a fantastic magazine, I don't think any of the console specific magazine ever matched up to Crash in my eyes.

• Paid Members

Crash always had better artwork on the covers and posters, but for content I was a Sinclair User man. The antics of Jim Douglas and co gave me plenty of laughs, and they were usually a better bet for the cover tapes.

• Paid Members

ZX computing for me. Typed every listing into my ZX81, then when I got my speccy did the same as that. Also a big fan of Sinclair User, Your Sinclair and crash.

if you torrent u will find I "think" a complete scan set of the Crash magazine series. + many more also check archive.org I do know they have X many N64 magazine scans in .pdf format.

That game sounds cool as F. 

This is how good me memory is I remember in the 90's my best m8's dad saying that u can fit alot of games onto it. [game cart] Street Fighter II Turbo I remember we flicked the cart n numbers and letters came up with a blue screen, the numbers were going crazy.

Funny how we have the "everdrive" but before that rom set's. [which i was told about in the year 1999].

I recently saw this on Youtube as it's retro gaming i'll throw it here.

Edited by KingOfVHS

For me, during the 16bit console era, it was all about SuperPlay magazine.

I used to get giddy wth excitement when that popped through the door.

To proove what I said 

https://archive.org/download/Superplay_Issue_08_1993-06_Future_Publishing_GB/Superplay_Issue_08_1993-06_Future_Publishing_GB.pdf

Enjoy [have a look see what other issues is up 

you lucky Xbox One owners [if any of u are] you are getting 

Rare Replay (Xbox One)

Release date August 4, 2015. £20

Features:

Jetpac (1983)

Atic Atac (1983)

Lunar Jetman (1983)

Sabre Wulf (1984)

Underwurlde (1984)

Knight Lore (1984)

Gunfright (1986)

Slalom (1987)

R.C. Pro-Am (1988)

Cobra Triangle (1989)

Snake Rattle N Roll (1990)

Digger T. Rock (1990)

Solar Jetman (1990)

Battletoads (1991)

R.C. Pro-Am II (1992)

Battletoads Arcade (1994)

Killer Instinct Gold (1996)

Blast Corps (1997)

Banjo-Kazooie (1998)

Jet Force Gemini (1999)

Perfect Dark (2000)

Banjo-Tooie (2000)

Conker's Bad Fur Day (2001)

Grabbed by the Ghoulies (2003)

Perfect Dark Zero (2005)

Kameo: Elements of Power (2005)

Viva Piñata (2006)

Jetpac Refuelled (2007)

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (2008)

Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise (2008)

Edited by KingOfVHS

Any other CVG fans? Loved that, I was all snobby about it being a more purist games mag. Same with Edge. God what a twat.

Used to get a couple of american ones as well, that were pretty terrible and pretty much all ads, but you know, teenagers think tank culture is the best so...

Any other CVG fans? Loved that, I was all snobby about it being a more purist games mag. Same with Edge. God what a twat.

Used to get a couple of american ones as well, that were pretty terrible and pretty much all ads, but you know, teenagers think tank culture is the best so...

Gosh yes had so many as a kid.

Correct me if I'm wrong was Sega Power the one where in the back pages u had pages of cheats? you had a screengrab say sonic 2 or Speedball and cheats under the image? 

• Paid Members

We had the 2600 but some of my favourite gaming memories come from playing on the Atari 65 XE at my nan and grandads.

In particular, I remember this being one of the most addictive, fun games i've ever played.

cops_and_robbers_k7.jpg

Which is all the more remarkable when, researching this post, i'm reminded that it looked like this...

cops_and_robbers.gif cops_and_robbers_2.gif