The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

I wonder what prompted this u-turn from Apple, for seemingly decades they've been vehemently against the idea of emulators on their phones. I'm assuming the EU ruling that they have to allow users to use alternative stores had an impact, they don't want people running off to them to get apps like these

Scratched my every-few-years itch for Mario 64 recently. Itā€™s such a beautiful game, a total comfort blanket, but still bags of fun. Decided to do it ā€œin orderā€, for no good reason other than I hate having to go back to otherwise completed courses just for the 100 coins. This was the moment prior to getting the 120th star, 8 red coins on Bowser in the sky:

IMG-4435.jpg
Ā 

Vimms Lair has been hit by Nintendo, Sega and a few others so if you got your ISO files for old console games there you might need to look elsewhere. The internet archive is nearly always the best bet as they often have DMCA exemptions.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Scratched my every-few-years itch for Mario 64 recently. Itā€™s such a beautiful game, a total comfort blanket, but still bags of fun. Decided to do it ā€œin orderā€, for no good reason other than I hate having to go back to otherwise completed courses just for the 100 coins. This was the moment prior to getting the 120th star, 8 red coins on Bowser in the sky:

IMG-4435.jpg
Ā 

I've been replaying it recently. Getting 100 coins on Tick Tock Clock is my worst nightmare. Flying around in the clouds getting those 8 red coins is in equal first place. Wonderful game.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Vimms Lair has been hit by Nintendo, Sega and a few others so if you got your ISO files for old console games there you might need to look elsewhere. The internet archive is nearly always the best bet as they often have DMCA exemptions.

Brutal. That is indeed where I was using.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

When my Wife first moved in with me and brought her stuff over, she brought the games and wires for a PS2 but no actual console as she didn't know where it was. Over the years we totally forgot about it and eventually sold the random bits we had as it was nothing flash and collecting dust.
Fast forward several years to now and my Father-in-Law tells me he found an old PS2 in the loft and as I expected it was just the console with no games, controllers or wires. Luckily it shares wires with the PS1 and I have extras so I pottered to CEX and got myself a little startup collection.

I won't be going mad with it as the PS2 is a console I had but outside of Here Comes The Pain, Timesplitters and a couple of other bits I have no affinity for it. I was more into my Gamecube.
Unfortunately my copy of The Sopranos game was battered and didn't work, as was one of the controllers the CEX staff cheekily put a sticker over a big crack in so they got returned. The rest is fine though and I miraculously found a copy of Sopranos on Ebay just recently listed that's Ā£6 cheaper than CEX's copy and Ā£10 cheaper than any other Ebay copy so that's on it's way now.

The console has seen better days. I opened it briefly and gave the fan a clean but it's chugging along like the little PS2 that could. Covered in paint specks. It's charming in a way, it's definitely a console that was knocking about in a house and used. Obviously I'd prefer a clear one with less wear though, but for free I can't complain at all.

My local CEX didn't have much choice mind so I didn't get some of the ones I might have picked up if they were there. I'm especially happy with LoTR: The Third Age though which I didn't even know existed. It's a turn based RPG covering all three films and only cost a fiver. Score!

In some bargains I'm sure @Big Bully Busickwould approve of, I got the following:

Official Dualshock 2 in excellent condition - Ā£18
3rd Party 16mb Memory Card - Ā£2.50
WWF Smackdown: Just Bring It - Ā£2.50
SSX 3 - Ā£3.00
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 - Ā£4.00
Tekken 4 - Ā£8.00
Spyro: Enter The Dragonfly - Ā£6.00
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - Ā£4.00
No-One Lives Forever - Ā£3.50
Final Fantasy X - Ā£3.00
LoTR: The Third Age - Ā£5.00
GTA Vice City - Ā£5.00

Plus a Ā£6.50 credit note left after returning the controller and Sopranos and putting it towards a couple of them games. I did pick up Sonic Heroes and Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec but the discs were also knackered to I turned them down.

So for about Ā£70 I've got a controller, memory card and what I would consider a decent little collection of games. Happy with that.

IMG_9366.jpeg

IMG_9367.jpeg

Edited by FLips

2 minutes ago, FLips said:

I miraculously found a copy of Sopranos on Ebay just recently listed that's Ā£6 cheaper than CEX's copy and Ā£10 cheaper than any other Ebay copy so that's on it's way now.

YEEESSSSSSSSS. Full play through please.

I love my PS2. Yes you can't hear yourself think when it runs, but often my youngest will text me "I'm bored of the VR and PS5, can I come over and play Tony Hawk?" and we'll sit for hours on it.

I think it was Ā£30 without the same amount of games that I picked up on a whim one day (I probably spoke about it in here) and its probably the 3rd or 4th one I've owned over the years.

Wonderful stuff.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I just sold my copy of Sopranos for a tenner on eBay, was it to you?

I donā€™t believe so. Mine was Ā£5.99 free postage and I only bought it about half an hour ago!

2 hours ago, FLips said:

When my Wife first moved in with me and brought her stuff over, she brought the games and wires for a PS2 but no actual console as she didn't know where it was. Over the years we totally forgot about it and eventually sold the random bits we had as it was nothing flash and collecting dust.
Fast forward several years to now and my Father-in-Law tells me he found an old PS2 in the loft and as I expected it was just the console with no games, controllers or wires. Luckily it shares wires with the PS1 and I have extras so I pottered to CEX and got myself a little startup collection.

I won't be going mad with it as the PS2 is a console I had but outside of Here Comes The Pain, Timesplitters and a couple of other bits I have no affinity for it. I was more into my Gamecube.
Unfortunately my copy of The Sopranos game was battered and didn't work, as was one of the controllers the CEX staff cheekily put a sticker over a big crack in so they got returned. The rest is fine though and I miraculously found a copy of Sopranos on Ebay just recently listed that's Ā£6 cheaper than CEX's copy and Ā£10 cheaper than any other Ebay copy so that's on it's way now.

The console has seen better days. I opened it briefly and gave the fan a clean but it's chugging along like the little PS2 that could. Covered in paint specks. It's charming in a way, it's definitely a console that was knocking about in a house and used. Obviously I'd prefer a clear one with less wear though, but for free I can't complain at all.

My local CEX didn't have much choice mind so I didn't get some of the ones I might have picked up if they were there. I'm especially happy with LoTR: The Third Age though which I didn't even know existed. It's a turn based RPG covering all three films and only cost a fiver. Score!

In some bargains I'm sure @Big Bully Busickwould approve of, I got the following:

Official Dualshock 2 in excellent condition - Ā£18
3rd Party 16mb Memory Card - Ā£2.50
WWF Smackdown: Just Bring It - Ā£2.50
SSX 3 - Ā£3.00
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 - Ā£4.00
Tekken 4 - Ā£8.00
Spyro: Enter The Dragonfly - Ā£6.00
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - Ā£4.00
No-One Lives Forever - Ā£3.50
Final Fantasy X - Ā£3.00
LoTR: The Third Age - Ā£5.00
GTA Vice City - Ā£5.00

Plus a Ā£6.50 credit note left after returning the controller and Sopranos and putting it towards a couple of them games. I did pick up Sonic Heroes and Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec but the discs were also knackered to I turned them down.

So for about Ā£70 I've got a controller, memory card and what I would consider a decent little collection of games. Happy with that.

IMG_9366.jpeg

IMG_9367.jpeg

Fantastic pick ups

Ā 

That's a good variety of titles to give you a bit of everythingĀ 

I'd recommend the Punisher too

Possibly my favourite game on the system

Ā 

I'm looking to get the Silent Hill ps2 games next

I got 4 on the OG Xbox and Shattered memories will be a Wii purchase, but silent hill 2 and 3 are pricey ones I'm gonna just have to accept I'm not getting on the cheap anywhereĀ 

So I visited the Lewisham branch of CEX which is one I used to visit fairly often as my head office was in the areaĀ 

I've had some great finds over5the years here and at first glance upon entry I was quite concerned as I saw no retroĀ 

Ā 

Not to worry however as I soon discovered they keep it towards the back of the store

I think I'm just conditioned to look at the first glass cabinet section I come across for that type of stuff

Ā 

A healthy selection of retro was available and the store was in good shape

Ā 

A solid selection of disc based games too which is all I currently collect for (Evercade is the exception)Ā 

I did have most of the games I saw on the day already but managed to pick a couple of games up on the cheap never the less

3 hours ago, FLips said:

I donā€™t believe so. Mine was Ā£5.99 free postage and I only bought it about half an hour ago!

Great find

Ā 

Is it actually any good?Ā 

I've ignored it previously as I thought the cover looked awful and had little faith in a TV show based gameĀ 

• Paid Members

@FLipsfind yourself a copy of Capcom Vs SNK 2. A fantastic fighting game. I remember spending an evening with @air_raidpitting my Dan against him using every character in the game.

Tekken 4 is fine, but a bit like the red-headed step-child of the Tekken series. Keep an eye out in CEX for Tekken 5 as it comes with arcade ports of Tekken 1, 2, and 3.

Gran Turismo 4 is arguably the peak of the whole series.Ā 

Which Simpsons game was it? Goes without saying that if a copy of Hit & Run crosses your path it's definitely one to have a crack of. The Street Fighter Alpha Anthology is good, but fighting games can be like rocking horse poop nowadays.Ā 

I remember getting my PS2 for Christmas off my gran when I dropped out of Uni. I've still got it, but the pads I've got are third parry from Klas Ohlsson. They're pretty much the same look and build quality of a Dualshock 2 though, and they were a tenner each. I picked up a Mayflash fight stick for Ā£30 which does the job.

I also have a shed load of fighting games and compilations on it, which will surprise nobody who knows me. AThere's a reason it was the biggest selling console of all time, and it's not just because it was cheaper than buying a DVD player in some cases.Ā