The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

To be fair though Jim, every single one of us who posts regularly in this thread and others like it are hardcore fans. The UFC doesn't have to cater to us as they have our attention already.

Agreed

Just because we are hardcore fans though, we still have opinions and awareness on what casual fans want to see and what will make money.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
:laugh:

I never said you didnt enjoy the fights. Its just the over analysis of everything, people are offering thoughts and your response is basically 'wrong! It will fail'. Looking over buy rates and breaking down numbers? Is a depressing way to enjoy the sport.

What the fuck are you going on about? There was a disussion on whether a show would succeed or not in the ratings, which I joined in on. Not only is it a completely relevant and valid discussion, but one in which it's kind of hard to debate without, you know, mentioning ratings. And my response isn't a simple "wrong it will fail!" at all. People offer thoughts, I reply, attempt to back my thoughts up with substance, so on and so forth. It's called discussion. You know, which involves insight and analysis. If you have a problem with it or me, yet nothing to add to the discussion, then why not just PM me?

ok, i apologise. It's i just remember similar discussion before the Fox 3 card, we had the same discussion when Lombard/Stann was announced, now we are having it again, and come Fox 5 we'll have it again and so on...

:sleeping:

I went online to look at the UFC Best of 2011 DVD on Amazon and I found out the first disc is just fight highlights and the second disc has 10 complete fights on them:

Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard, UFC 125

Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort, UFC 126

Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber, UFC 132

BJ Penn vs. Nick Diaz, UFC 137

Clay Guida vs. Benson Henderson, UFC on Fox 1

Wanderlei Silva vs. Cung Le, UFC 139

Shogun Rua vs. Dan Henderson, UFC 139

Mark Hominick vs. Chan-Sung Jung, UFC 140

Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida, UFC 140

Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem, UFC 141

This is really disappointing compared to the Best of UFC 2010 DVD which has 23 full fights and 2011 was the UFC

• Paid Members

On FOX, I get why people discuss it and I want the sport to succeed and grow as much as anyone but I can't be arsed personally to worry about ratings and buyrates. I'll leave that to the people who get paid for it. I'll dip in with opinions here and there but really it's a debate that tends to go around in circles. Not saying it shouldn't be discussed because it is hugely important for MMA's future but I don't have the urge to look up PPV buyrates and facts and figures after shows. I watch MMA to see good fights, what numbers shows do has no bearing on my enjoyment of the sport.

I agree with David's point though, we'll watch regardless. These FOX shows, as I understand, are to attract new fans and hopefully turn casuals into die-hards. Shogun vs Machida 3 would have been a great FOX headliner. They're both names and there's history. Easy to hype.

Gustafsson vs Bader as co-main. Gus could be a future contender so makes sense to me to get him on FOX to me.

They won't change it though.

• Paid Members
I went online to look at the UFC Best of 2011 DVD on Amazon and I found out the first disc is just fight highlights and the second disc has 10 complete fights on them:

Yeah there's more on the Blu Ray. If you've got a Blu Ray player or a PS3 I'd get that version.

To be honest, they could easily have filled 5 discs with deserving fights from 2011 and still had to leave some great fights out. It was a phenomenal year fight wise.

On FOX, I get why people discuss it and I want the sport to succeed and grow as much as anyone but I can't be arsed personally to worry about ratings and buyrates. I'll leave that to the people who get paid for it. I'll dip in with opinions here and there but really it's a debate that tends to go around in circles. Not saying it shouldn't be discussed because it is hugely important for MMA's future but I don't have the urge to look up PPV buyrates and facts and figures after shows. I watch MMA to see good fights, what numbers shows do has no bearing on my enjoyment of the sport.

This. :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Thought this was interesting, Chael Sonnen goes Full Blast for Shogun vs Hendo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPocSbOFlFE...layer_embedded#!

They had Chael mic'd up in the crowd for the fight getting his thoughts as the fight unfolded. I like stuff like this. Even Chael dropped the character (well mostly) for that fight.

"I haven't seen anything like this since I was in nam.......not Vietnam, I'm talking about Nam, New Jersey a couple clicks south of Atlantic City. Don't laugh you don't know what it's like, you weren't there"

"I haven't seen anything like this since I was in nam.......not Vietnam, I'm talking about Nam, New Jersey a couple clicks south of Atlantic City. Don't laugh you don't know what it's like, you weren't there"

:laugh:

Another joke to steal and pass of as my own :D

• Paid Members

Great news for BAMMA getting on 5. I was starting to fear the worst for them from stuff I was reading on Cage Warriors. This is a very positive sign.

BAMMA and Cage Warriors are my two favourite UK MMA promotions. They put together good fights and present the sport very professionally. Glad to see BAMMA will be kicking about for the forseeable future.

Archived