The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

• Paid Members

Yeah Saku and Fedor absolutely deserve it. Two of the very best in their primes.

A proper MMA HOF would be nice. It would be great if the UFC set that up because, providing they put differences aside, they're the ones who could really do it right.

It won't happen. A seperate MMA HOF could though.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Hahaha, I love that. That wasn't even Chael's bullshity, trash talky type stuff. I expected some clearly pre-planned one liners. But no, he seemed genuinely arsey and put out by it, which made it funnier to me.

I dunno why but I always imagined Chael and Hughes would get on. I can just picture Chael, Hughes, Brock and Roy Nelson going on hunting trips for some reason. Not any more.

Chael has actually always slagged Hughes, he does so in his book saying it was great watching a jerk get his due like when Hughes got beat by BJ Penn, also he said it was laughable that Hughes got awarded the title against Newton when being out of it. Also Hughes looked bemused at Chael's antics at the UFC 117 Presser and Post Show.

They appeared together on the only episode of UFC Tonight I have ever seen in full, they seem to get on ok, but not like they were best buds. Chael is a bit too flashy for Hughes, I know what you mean though, as both have conservative views and are both bible bashers.

I cannot see Brock liking him either, because Brock does not like anyone it would seem.

• Paid Members

Now you mention it, Chael was having a pop at Brock on a Q&A a couple of years back. Brock went on some talk show and the host played a clip of Chael slagging him off to stir shit. Brock said he didn't even know who Chael was.

Have you read much of Chael's book? What's it like? I'm hoping to pick it up soon.

Funny story about Chael/Brock. A photographer for Sherdog pointed at Brock whilst speaking to Chael in the crowd at a UFC they both attended after those comments, he asked Chael if he thought Brock had heard those comments, sheepishly Chael replied "I hope not"

I finished Chael's book a few days ago, its worth a go. There are some funny stories from his childhood and wrestling career, views about walkout music, films and his general life views.

It is more like Forrrest Griffins first book (I did not read his second one) as opposed to a biography, but it has more meat to it than Forrests. His views on politics and liberals I disagree with being more of lefty than a conservative, but are worth a read. His MMA views are spread out, he talks about his thoughts about each discipline and details his build up to a fight.

There is a bit about history that did not interest me, but he talks about his father in a very tender way that would bring even a hardened man close to tears. It mainly exists to make you laugh and for Chael to give his view on the world, there is MMA content in there, but it is not as much as some would like.

I would give it a go if you do not mind that.

• Paid Members

I'd have liked a lot of MMA content but in this case I reckon Chael's interesting enough to keep my attention. I really liked Forrest's first book so if it's along them lines I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Really wasn't keen on Forrest's second book myself.

I knew Chael was really close with his dad from one of the old Countdowns. Shame he died before Chael's career took off.

Cheers, think I'll get it next payday.

No problem, let me know what you think of it. I can see it polarizing opinions.

Can someone please explain why Don Frye deserves to go in the UFC HOF? Not disagreeing, but in terms of pure talent and importance to the sport I would not have him in the league of others.

The only two big fights I recall him winning was against Tank and Ken Shamrock. Maybe Gary Goodridge as well, is it the fact he won the UFC tourney twice in the early days that people rate him so much?

There is a massive gap between around UFC 9-18, where I have not viewed, for example I have never watched any of the Ultimate Ultimate Events.

• Paid Members

Ultimate Ultimate '96 is quality and the Frye vs Tank final is about as fun a 2 minute fight as you will see. It was also Ken Shamrock's last UFC before going to the WWF and Kimo vs Varelans was good. There's also a really awkward but hilarious interview/confrontation with Scott Ferrozzo and Bruce Beck. I can't post a link but I think its on Youtube, give it a look.

The 1995 UU was pretty cack from my memory of it.

As for Frye, I love the man. Him and Bas can do no wrong and should have their own wing in the HOF just for being Don Frye and Bas Rutten.

I get where you're coming from but back then it was about tournaments moreso than titles and Frye won two of them. Like Frank Shamrock, Frye was also one of the first to be skilled in more than one discipline so he's a pioneer in that respect. And really, at that time he was pretty much the man, second only to Mark Coleman in that period.

• Paid Members

I think Frye gets the mentions because he's such a cult figure in MMA as well as being a bit of a pioneer in the UFC as being one of the first guys who could wrestle as well as having a decent set of hands and he was tough as nails (and then he had the 'tache) so people loved him. Frye's greatest achievments came in Pride though, the fights with Coleman, Yvel, Takayama and Ken Shamrock are just classic MMA battles.

I can see the argument for him going in, but aint Frye another guy who has problems with Dana White?

When is Tank Abbott going in?? you may laugh and it is kinda ridiculous but that guys probably as responsible for gaining the UFC as many fans as anyone in the old days.

• Paid Members

Apparently Brian Ebersole is replacing Claude Patrick at UFC 149 against James Head due to another fucking injury.

I was actually interested in seeing the Ebersole weight-cut, maybe he'll drop after this fight.

• Paid Members

I fucking love Tank.

He was a bit mental and could be a total knob but I think he was a decent guy as he got older. There's footage of him on the Behind The Scenes extra on one of the old UFCs (41 I think, when he fought Mir) and he came across well, he was totally different to how I expected. They showed him joking around with Dana, Lorenzo and Buffer and then asking some lad to nipto the shop to get him some chocolate and some Skittles. Surreal seeing Tank just being normal.

I think he did mellow out in his older years. I don't remember hearing of anyone in WCW having trouble with him when he went there and he seemed more humble in his later UFC fights. There was that brawl with Cabbage but Tank didn't do anything in that incident it was all Cabbage and the cornermen from both sides.

He was an attraction though. In the very early UFC days he was mega popular. He was like Austin in 97, an arsehole but you can't help but cheer for him. I wouldn't be against Tank going in the HOF. But I can't see it.

UFC are finally going to China! Going to Macau, China on Saturday 10th November for a UFC on FUEL event.

Massive news as far as UFC are concerned, be interesting to see how they draw over there.

Probably great, Macau is the Vegas of Asia, it's not like mainland China at all. There has been talk of holding a Pacquiao fight over there.

• Paid Members

Fabio Maldonado vs Jorgen Kruth has been added to UFC Nottingham.

That could be an excellent fight there. Haven't seen Kruth fight and he's quite new to MMA but he's got a load of kickboxing experience and you know Maldonado's style. Should be fun.

Fabio by bodyshot! (that's the new Rickson by armbar of MMA predictions).

Archived