The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In regards to Frye, fair enough I can see the argument. I am more familiar with his Pride stuff, I felt the Coleman fight was a tad boring though. Frye got dominated all over again. Still, I guess the wars and slugfests he had are legendary, even though the Thompson one I felt very sorry for him, he should have retired by then.

As for Tank, well I am not a fan personally but I get the appeal. I think a bit like Kimbo he was a bit too much of a side-show to put in the HOF, he lost just as many as he won and never won a tournament, like Kimbo he drew crowds but his skills were not enough to make him a Hall Of Famer, he was more competitive than Kimbo was for his time though, I will give him that.

Then again some think Brock was too much of a side-show, and I think he should be inducted and so does Helwani, UFC Champion in 4 fights, biggest draw and beat some of the best out there for his time. He is a shoe-in if I had a say.

• Paid Members

Tank is a legend in his own way. I'd induct him...like i said if you wanna put someone in there who brought as many eyes into the sport as anyone at the time, it's Tank f'n Abbott, look no further than UFC 6, nobody who saw that at the time forgets it. Tank was the guy that delivered what people wanted out of 'cage fighting', right or wrong it was f'n memorable.

tank-abbott.thumbnail.jpg

Induct Tank!

Been hype around Nelson for years, his debut is a wee bit overdue. Nottingham is shaping up very nicely.

I first saw him back at BAMMA 2, and they were touting him as the next big thing then. I remember a while back he was rumoured to be on an earlier European card, so if he debuts with the UFC at the Nottingham show I'll be looking to see how his fight goes.

Regarding the Don Frye talk. I've not seen it mentioned yet, but if you've never seen it, people need to go and check out his fight with Amaury Bitetti from UFC IX.

Nobody in MMA really cares about Dave Meltzer, he only ever gives out PPV buy rates, that's what he's really known for. I doubt someone like Fedor and that would give a shit about being inducted into his hall of fame (do wrestlers even get a plaque or anything?) It's the likes of MMA Junkie and Ariel Helwani that break stories on a new fight, so I would guess they have some contact with the fight camps.

I was watching Friday Night Fights on ESPN and it was showing some Boxing hall of fame and they had about 10 big name Boxers/Boxing personalities (about 5 inducted), a good few journalists (news paper, TV and Internet) and some fans (maybe a 1000 tops) and they were outside, that's all you would really need if the MMA media wanted to start a hall of fame.

• Paid Members
Regarding the Don Frye talk. I've not seen it mentioned yet, but if you've never seen it, people need to go and check out his fight with Amaury Bitetti from UFC IX.

Very good shout there. One of the most perversely entertaining one sided fights ever along with JDS/Nelson and Penn/Stevenson.

Great news about all the UK guys getting picked up. I'm guessing they'll all get fights on the Nottingham card. Gunnar and Watson are two I've expected them to pick up for a while now, and Manuwa looks really promising.

Is Jimmy Wallhead still under contract to Bellator? He's another who's been overdue a UFC shot I reckon. Coming off really impressive showings against Villasenor and Trigg and he'd be a perfect guy to debut on the Nottingham card with it being his hometown.

• Paid Members

Just read on Cage Warriors now that John Maguire vs John Hathaway is happening at the Nottingham UFC aswell.

Great fight, nice bit of UK vs UK competition. I really like both but I'll be rooting for Maguire. He's been fucking great to watch so far and he's a bit of a character. John 'The One' for me here.

Gypsy Jiu Jitsu!

• Paid Members

How long before we get Bisping vs. Kong Watson? That would be a great UK headliner. I also see that Bisping has responded to Stann & Belcher calling him out, and wants to take on Belcher next. That would be agreat fight.

I don't see the logic in doing Bisping vs Watson at all. Unless one of them is the champion. Why knock off one of the main UK draws? There's far more money in doing British vs American or British vs anywhere else fights than there is doing Brit vs Brit, unless they're the two dominant fighters in the division.

• Paid Members

Bisping vs Belcher would be a great fight. They've been throwing occasional barbs at each other for a while now aswell. Bisping vs Stann might be the one they go for though, if Stann heals up in time.

Bisping mentioned Stann as a potential opponent and Stann responded saying he'd love to fight Bisping at UFC 152 in Toronto. Sounds good, although if a Bisping vs Stann fight ever comes off I'd rather they did it in the US or UK for maximum crowd response. It would be white hot in either place. Doing a fight like that on neutral territory in Canada, where the crowd isn't particularly invested in either guy would be a bit of a missed opportunity I reckon.

Archived