Upcoming DVD releases

AshC

The only WWE DVD ever that hasn't been released here is the Superstar Graham one. I can't see any reason why this new WrestleMania DVD wouldn't get a UK release.

Why was the Billy Graham DVD not released here?

The BBFC wouldn't allow a DVD with such blood and gore in it for some reason, unless WWE would edit it down, which they didn't, so we didn't get it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The only WWE DVD ever that hasn't been released here is the Superstar Graham one. I can't see any reason why this new WrestleMania DVD wouldn't get a UK release.

The BBFC wouldn't allow a DVD with such blood and gore in it for some reason, unless WWE would edit it down, which they didn't, so we didn't get it.

It was never submitted to the BBFC so that's not true. There's a possibility they asked the BBFC before classification what they would need to do to get a low rating but I think its unlikely. I read at the time they didn't think it would do well enough due to poor initial sales in the states and Superstar not being well known outside the US.

It was never submitted to the BBFC so that's not true. There's a possibility they asked the BBFC before classification what they would need to do to get a low rating but I think its unlikely. I read at the time they didn't think it would do well enough due to poor initial sales in the states and Superstar not being well known outside the US.

If that's true, I wonder why they still released the AWA and World Class DVDs as well, as they can't be that known to European fans either. The best thing to do would be to ask Silvervision them selves on Facebook/Twitter, they always answer. I know I've heard the reason that I gave before anyway, unless they were bullshitting.

• Paid Members

If that's true, I wonder why they still released the AWA and World Class DVDs as well, as they can't be that known to European fans either. The best thing to do would be to ask Silvervision them selves on Facebook/Twitter, they always answer. I know I've heard the reason that I gave before anyway, unless they were bullshitting.

I think its as simple as the AWA and World Class DVDs doing better numbers in the states but that's only a assumption.

That Wrestlemania Story Blu ray is really intriguing me. I may well pre order it from Axelmusic. Its not going to cost more than when it eventually gets released over here.

• Paid Members

On the Billy Graham DVD I read in powerslam if I recall right that it disappointed in sales and the BBFC would have wanted big cuts from one match which was seen as a significant point and so never bothered.

Its great to see some stuff that gets a cut on the BBFC site, Hussan choking JR with a scarf had to be cut from a promo segment on backlash 05 to get its 15. for example.

What I don't understand is, how comes the new WWE PPV releases that are TV-PG in America, get 15 certificates over here?

Because the US ranking system counts wrestling as comic violence due to their being no blood and too much realistic weapon use. Yet in the UK our system has a different view on what is comic violence as the UK definition is more over the top stuff and it views wrestling as a much more violent show due to it being real people and real consequences.

• Paid Members
What I don't understand is, how comes the new WWE PPV releases that are TV-PG in America, get 15 certificates over here?

they rate things differently.

Our BBFC says of to get a PG

Violence

Moderate violence, without detail, may be allowed, if justified by its context (for example, history, comedy or fantasy).

Imitable behaviour

No detail of potentially dangerous behaviour which young children are likely to copy. No glamorisation of realistic or easily accessible weapons.

I'd assume thats part of the issue for getting a PG over here.

• Paid Members

The BBFC have different criteria to US TV channels. Also the US DVD/Blu Ray releases are not rated by the MPAA. There maybe instances where the TV product that was broadcast as TV-PG or PG13 live in the states that may have been given a certificate over here as a 15 or 18. Which in turn could be be given a R rating if it were to be submitted to the MPAA.

EDIT - I may be wrong about the US DVD/Blus being unrated by the MPAA. Trying to check.

EDIT EDIT - The clue might be in the name MPAA, lol. Particularly the Motion picture part of it. But the special DVD/Blus are not rated as far as I can tell.

Because the US ranking system counts wrestling as comic violence due to their being no blood and too much realistic weapon use. Yet in the UK our system has a different view on what is comic violence as the UK definition is more over the top stuff and it views wrestling as a much more violent show due to it being real people and real consequences.

That seems really silly to me, considering it's just supposed to be a "show".

The BBFC have different criteria to US TV channels. Also the US DVD/Blu Ray releases are not rated by the MPAA. There maybe instances where the TV product that was broadcast as TV-PG or PG13 live in the states that may have been given a certificate over here as a 15 or 18. Which in turn could be be given a R rating if it were to be submitted to the MPAA

The TNA DVDs that are the non UK shop versions have the TV-14 logo on them though.

• Paid Members

The BBFC have different criteria to US TV channels. Also the US DVD/Blu Ray releases are not rated by the MPAA. There maybe instances where the TV product that was broadcast as TV-PG or PG13 live in the states that may have been given a certificate over here as a 15 or 18. Which in turn could be be given a R rating if it were to be submitted to the MPAA

The TNA DVDs that are the non UK shop versions have the TV-14 logo on them though.

Yeah those logos are the TV ratings but the DVDs haven't been classified again after they initially air as far as I'm aware. So effectively thats a logo saying it aired at live rated at TV-14 rather than that it has been rated TV-14. (if that makes sense)

Yeah those logos are the TV ratings but the DVDs haven't been classified again after they initially air as far as I'm aware. So effectively thats a logo saying it aired at live rated at TV-14 rather than that it has been rated TV-14. (if that makes sense)

Oh, I've got you. Is that why Region 1 gets the PPVs so quickly, and we have to wait 3 months for WWE (and even longer for TNA's to be in HMV)?

Joking aside, I cant imagine why anybody would ever want to buy a Big Show dvd

Because he's easily in the top 3 of best big man workers ever, he may even be number 1.

His earlier work was characterised by an ability to not let himself pigeon-hole himself, he always looked at ways he could intersperse his work with some stuff that wasn't traditionally done by big guys. He's never been afraid to bump, either.

The best thing about him is, though, that he's genuinely one of the best 'storytellers' of the last fifteen years. He's a fantastic showman, with oodles of implicit charisma and you genuinely buy everything he's selling. My favourite match of his, in recent times anyway, was a pay-per-view match against Triple H when the match was built around something as seemingly innocuous, yet from a 'show' perspective massively intricate, as Hunter going after Big Shows fingers. With a body part that tiny, and with very few impact moves in play, the trick was in the selling and he did a five-star job. For the first time in years I was genuinely wincing at a wrestling match.

The Big Show is incredible. You are an idiot.

Archived