Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

I have to say, as someone who tends to steer clear of superhero films,

But your sig?

Unless you specifically like the genre like me there's no reason to avoid them or judge them on the whole, some are good films, some are shit films just like any other film type.

Punisher would make a brilliant TV series, better suited for that than movies, the Polisher not so much.

Should perhaps read "modern superhero films". The original Superman films will never be beaten!

How long have Sony and Fox got Spiderman and X-Men, respectively, to contracts, does anybody?Daredevil is back with Marvel now, isn't he?

I'd love to see a Punisher tv show. If they can make one on the Green Arrow, surely they can do one on the Punisher.

They should have a bird superhero called The Polisher. Have her polish copious amounts of blokes' crowns/helmets and use their jip as fuel for shooting flames out her mouth or something.

I think the contract itself is a bit tricky, I remember reading somewhere that Sony & Fox have to make a Spiderman or X Men movie within a specific time frame - 5 years I believe - if the 5 years is up then the movie rights would return to Marvel.

I think Spiderman was only days away from returning to Marvel before Sony announced Amazing Spiderman.

The problem here is that will Marvel ever the get the movie rights back fully and if so when?

• Paid Members
How long have Sony and Fox got Spiderman and X-Men, respectively, to contracts, does anybody?Daredevil is back with Marvel now, isn't he?

I'd love to see a Punisher tv show. If they can make one on the Green Arrow, surely they can do one on the Punisher.

They should have a bird superhero called The Polisher. Have her polish copious amounts of blokes' crowns/helmets and use their jip as fuel for shooting flames out her mouth or something.

I think the contract itself is a bit tricky, I remember reading somewhere that Sony & Fox have to make a Spiderman or X Men movie within a specific time frame - 5 years I believe - if the 5 years is up then the movie rights would return to Marvel.

I think Spiderman was only days away from returning to Marvel before Sony announced Amazing Spiderman.

The problem here is that will Marvel ever the get the movie rights back fully and if so when?

Fox own the rights to Xmen, the only way they could split the character rights was to give them blanket rights to anyone classed as a mutant in the comic books (I think the actual wording relates specifically to characters that originated in the Xmen comics) This has led to all the shit with QuickSilver being played by two different people in two different films (Hes appearing in Avengers 2 and Xmen Days of Future Past)

aaron-johnson-considered-to-be-quicksilver-of-avengers-2.jpg

x-men-days-of-future-past-quicksilver-added-controversy-ensues.jpg

The basic jist of it is that Marvel cant have any reference to mutant characters in their own films so there wont be any Mutant vs Avengers fights any time soon.

The rights issue is a bit of a ballache, Marvel have at various points sold the rights to their characters to anyone that would have them. At one point David Bowie's mental missus owned the rights to Black Cat and Daredevil

bwdd.jpg

The Spider-man rights were sold for barely anything originally, The infamous Roger Corman Fantastic Four film was made with the intention of it never being released just so they could retain the rights.

ff29.jpg

It nearly happened to Spiderman and there was 10 years of behind the scenes wranglings after James Camerons movie fell through.

As far as the rights lapsing goes They arent going to let it happen, not as long as the bigger films are making 1 Billion plus. A new Fantastic Four film got put into turn round despite neither film being a massive hit, Daredevil was a rare case because the first film (and Elecktra) were both flops and im pretty sure they didnt know what to do with it and there was still a mad scramble to try and get something made.

• Moderators

Another problem with crossing over the X-Men and Avengers is that it would be a little tricky storyline wise. If you go down the mutants vs humans route to cross them over you head into full on Civil War story territory, and Tony Stark is pretty much the bad guy in that.

And Iron Man is their most popular character so a heel turn for him seems improbable.

If it was Stark v Magneto though, Stark would be the face? Again, never read the comics so I'm just thinking from a movie point of view.

• Paid Members
Another problem with crossing over the X-Men and Avengers is that it would be a little tricky storyline wise. If you go down the mutants vs humans route to cross them over you head into full on Civil War story territory, and Tony Stark is pretty much the bad guy in that.

And Iron Man is their most popular character so a heel turn for him seems improbable.

Surely you'd do something like the Xmen vs Avengers storyline they did in the comics? Rather than go into civil war territory.

• Moderators

One thing that hit me with the new X-Men promo pics is how time seems to have finally caught up to Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. They're both really showing their age now. Add on another 2-4 years, or however long it would take to put together another X-film with them in it, and I think they're looking too old for their roles.

One thing that hit me with the new X-Men promo pics is how time seems to have finally caught up to Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. They're both really showing their age now. Add on another 2-4 years, or however long it would take to put together another X-film with them in it, and I think they're looking too old for their roles.

Stewart really is incredible.

patrick-stewart-collage.jpg

So don't count him out yet. Some good makeup, maybe a bit of CGI blending, he'll be fine. He's never going to die, damnit!

• Paid Members
Still can't fucking stand Renner's Hawkeye.

They should have made him more like he is in Ultimates where he takes out a room full of people with his fingernails.

That's actually pretty fuckin' good, Choker. I know The Avengers was aimed at the nippers (besides 'Mewling Quim') and I did love the flick, but fucking Hawkeye, brother. Fucking Hawkeye.

• Paid Members

Dredd 3D was a film of the people, the fans demanded it, the fans fucking ruined everything by not going to the cinema to see the film they asked for, then the fans saved it by going out in their thousands and buying it once it hit BluRay, DVD and paid download. Now the fans can really save the franchise by signing this official petition for a Dredd 2 - Do it!

Minor Avengers, Ant-Man, Fantastic Four and Spidey news

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs