Championship and Lower League Discussion 2010/11

patiirc

• Paid Members
We got whumped 3-1 at Fratton Park and hammered at Ipshits as well.

I could be anal and point the signings that were there from relegation and who helped you get promotion but I wont :sleeping: Cos its boring and pointless agree to disagree.

Never doubted they helped us win promotion, my point was that there were literally only a few players we kept, whereas the rest of the squad has been reshuffled shitloads.

So you didnt win in the first 3 3 and then lost only 2 out of the next 25 again I fail to see how this is a disaster Loss vs Colchester, draw vs Exeter away, narrow loss vs Brentford... Then only losing vs MK DONS and Leeds...

As for answering my own point. You said shit summer. 1 game does not a shit summer make. if you had been tanked all preseason then lost 7-1 then Id see your point. But basically on that score your talking out your ass even, if you dont count pre season as being that important I cant see how its shit, losing what would be 2 in 10 games with a manager change inbetween.

The club afaik have been skint for a long while your last prem stint didnt help and signing the likes of Helveg on horrendous wages and Strihavka when you were down again .. really didnt help matters. Given your attendence and low spends.. Its got to be signing on fees wages and your academy? Your attendences are solid and have been for at least 5 years

Getting WAY ahead of yourself with the next 25 games thing. Anyway, you're on the money with the skint stuff. Our collective board at the time were complete fucking idiots who didn't plan long term. Since Dave McNally came in he's helped make the board much, much more stable. As for the run though, again you miss my point.

And it really was a summer of uncertainty. Pre-season is about fitness, not results. Like I said, administration was close. But I've already said all of this. I'm drawing a line under this now, because it's needlessly taking over the thread. Agree to disagree and all that. I wish Bristol City all the best and all that.

...Roll on QPR!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks llike Strachan's SPL experiment at Boro is over according to a few places on the net and SSN

Prem you say, right then?

Different manager maybe work wonders?

Tony Mowbray early favourite. Wonder how he'll feel walking into a dressing room with all the players he got rid of.

I'm no expert on Scottish football but it seems to me that in Scotland they still have goalscorers, something which barely exists nowadays in England. Back in the 80s, it was virtually a position on the field and most teams would have a goalscorer. They may not contribute much or even be technically that good but they could score goals and it was accepted. However, by the mid-90s it seemed like that wasn't enough and whilst guys like Steve Claridge and Tony Cottee had career Indian summers next to Emile Heskey, later guys like Darren Bent, Michael Owen and Jermain Defoe have been criticised and had to adapt or change their games. Bent is probably the last English goalscorer and he'd have got 40 a season back in the 80s.

Now, this is spreading down to the Championship. The days of guys like Earnshaw are numbered. Boyd and McDonald look like old-school goalscorers to me, not even amazing ones at that. Miller too. So, is this view right or am I barking up the wrong tree?

• Paid Members

Just witnessed the worst game in living memory. Sheff Utd were absolutely fucking dogshit and were still better than us. Dire.

Was one highlight though. John Bostock went down claiming a push. In any other ground in the country, there would massive claims for a free-kick. Not in Hull though. 19,999 people shook their heads while one lone voice shouted "Get up, ya cunt".

• Paid Members
Now, this is spreading down to the Championship. The days of guys like Earnshaw are numbered. Boyd and McDonald look like old-school goalscorers to me, not even amazing ones at that. Miller too. So, is this view right or am I barking up the wrong tree?

You talking about Lee Miller there? Calling him a goalscorer would be WAY off the mark, I must say. His strike rate wasn't particularly great to be honest. As for McDonald there's more to his style of play than goals - or there was anyway. I'm surprised he's flopped so badly down there, and I hope that a change of manager will bring an improvement in strike rate. I think Tony Mowbray would be terrible for Boro. It'd be bizarre to see him succeed Strachan once again, I'll say that much - but I think he'd make drastic changes to the team at such a rate things wouldn't have much of a chance to improve. I think Boro have more than a decent squad, and with the right man in charge you'll begin to see that. The problem is finding that right man. Billy Davies perhaps? Derek Macinnes or Billy Reid might be a risk worth taking (especially given the success of Owen Coyle in the case of Macinnes) if you're wanting to look up north.

Mowbray would be a disaster though. He's like a lobotomized George Burley.

Just witnessed the worst game in living memory. Sheff Utd were absolutely fucking dogshit and were still better than us. Dire.

Was one highlight though. John Bostock went down claiming a push. In any other ground in the country, there would massive claims for a free-kick. Not in Hull though. 19,999 people shook their heads while one lone voice shouted "Get up, ya cunt".

ha ha we have that at city when adebayor falls over

I'm no expert on Scottish football but it seems to me that in Scotland they still have goalscorers, something which barely exists nowadays in England. Back in the 80s, it was virtually a position on the field and most teams would have a goalscorer. They may not contribute much or even be technically that good but they could score goals and it was accepted. However, by the mid-90s it seemed like that wasn't enough and whilst guys like Steve Claridge and Tony Cottee had career Indian summers next to Emile Heskey, later guys like Darren Bent, Michael Owen and Jermain Defoe have been criticised and had to adapt or change their games. Bent is probably the last English goalscorer and he'd have got 40 a season back in the 80s.

As you play at a higher level of football, then unless you have some serious quality in the team to compensate for their lack of overall contribution, it really isn't enough just to score goals whilst having absolutely nothing else to your game. In Scotland however, the standard is obviously pretty low and the top teams like Celtic and Rangers could afford the luxury of having guys playing whose only talent is being instinctive and somewhat clinical in the penalty box.

With Boyd, he's either really lazy or he/his managers knows he's dreadful and would do more harm than good when it comes to general play, linking up etc. So he just hangs around the last man, makes sure he's always in the box when attacking and then his only talent can come into play. McDonald on the other hand is worse in that he's equally as bad in general play, but he has delusions of actually being a player so he does actually run around and get involved, resulting in attacks breaking down 9 times out of 10 because he can barely even do the basics like trap or hold a ball up.

So it's not really a conscious and tactical decision to still have old fashioned goalscorers, it's basically just trying to get the best out of extremely limited players and play to their only strengths. Players like Boyd and McDonald grab headlines for themselves with their impressive sounding stats, but stick someone of quality in their places and you would no doubt find that the team would function better as a whole, even if they themselves didn't score as many goals. Similarly, stick players like those in the Premiership or anywhere with reasonably decent defenders and they would score a fraction of the tallys they were racking up in Scotland.

• Paid Members
A freak miracle occurred, maybe. We won at home.. Shocking stuff. Apologies all round, we shall spanked on Friday as a way of recompense, maybe

You forgot to mention we looked confident, the Usual Suspects actually put in a decent shift, Lee Johnson went into every challenge full-blooded and Danny Haynes went back onto the score sheet. Aside the normal '1-0 up with 5 minutes to go, let's panic' hossshit it was a bloody good game. Friday doesn't look so desparate at the moment so if it's 0-0 come the break I'll take that.

A freak miracle occurred, maybe. We won at home.. Shocking stuff. Apologies all round, we shall spanked on Friday as a way of recompense, maybe

You forgot to mention we looked confident, the Usual Suspects actually put in a decent shift, Lee Johnson went into every challenge full-blooded and Danny Haynes went back onto the score sheet. Aside the normal '1-0 up with 5 minutes to go, let's panic' hossshit it was a bloody good game. Friday doesn't look so desparate at the moment so if it's 0-0 come the break I'll take that.

It was very much tongue- in-cheek, young sir. Im very aware we did alot bette. Ive argued on a famous city forum about Lee Johnson's tackling ability on numerous occasions to as much fan fare as you give a dead wasp, but you cant have everything right?

Friday will be interesting in many ways, will tinkerman change again or keep the same XI with Colin Wanker thrown into the mix could be tasty indeed

As for McDonald there's more to his style of play than goals - or there was anyway. I'm surprised he's flopped so badly down there, and I hope that a change of manager will bring an improvement in strike rate.

I was honestly surprised he even has a career. He was a disaster. Southampton didn't want him, he went out on loan and did nothing and ended up on a month-to-month contract at Wimbledon when they'd just moved to Milton Keynes and had no players. A couple of trials up in Scotland later, he's at Motherwell and he starts scoring. This is why everybody thinks the SPL sucks because you get guys like him go up there and make something of themselves. It's like Omer Riza swapping the English Third Division for the Turkish Superleague; ignoring that English football is amongst the most physical in Europe.

The sad truth is they deserve everything that is coming to them.

For the sake of an FA Cup, they were paying the likes of Defoe, Crouch, James and Campbell massive money when it was completely unsustainable, and at one point I believe they had a wage bill that was equal to about 90 odd percent of their turnover. If it wasn

Archived