Championship and Lower League Discussion 2010/11

patiirc

We've made a really decent start, despite losing the first two games 3-0 and having Lee 'Angel' Hughes almost permanently injured. Tenth in the league, a lengthy run in the league cup, not bad and things should only get better when Hughes is fit. He came off during the warm-up at Bristol Rovers at the weekend, and we were lost that day without him leading the line.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to see Rotherham Utd vs. Bradford City with my City-supporting mate last night. Going to see a game at Don Valley is quite an odd experience - as far as metres squared go the stadium is huge, but obviously every uncovered stand was empty with a total attendance of 2,000 or so. Anyway, Bradford didn't look bad at all and certainly had the better chances to win it - Andy Warrington got the man of the match! The decision I and a few fans around me questioned was why, in a striking crisis, Peter Taylor decided to stick a guy who was clearly a centreback up front in the hope that he'd win a few headers. Until about 65mins in, he couldn't win anything and Rotherham's centreback Exodus Geoghagen (great name) had him in his back pocket, then with about twenty minutes to go Bradford brought a young guy named Speight on who seemed to be everything they'd been missing.

Oh, and Lee Hendrie made his Bradford debut. That was quite odd, especially when he took a free kick towards the end. Bradford looked like they were missing some experience though, so he could be a vital signing.

• Paid Members

Paul Lambert is gutted for him, they used to play together at Dortmund when they won the Champions League. He was saying after the game on Tuesday that he hopes Sousa could turn it around. Alas, he didn't even make it to this weekend.

The Bristol City game should be another tough contest despite their rocky start. With the exception of Tuesday night, we've not scored shitloads in our first few games. But we've still managed to find ourselves third somehow and I think we'd be considered favourites, though I'm far from convinced it'll be a given or walkover.

I just heard Leicester have sacked Paulo Sousa, if true, thats made my day!

As Kurt would say "its true, its damn true" BBC Sport

That's got to be the end of his managerial career in England.

Has to be, gets sacked after a few games at QPR, then Swansea give him a life line, he does well and then shows his disloyalty by leaving them, then gets sacked by Leicester after a few games. Bye bye Paulo!

• Paid Members
Paul Lambert is gutted for him, they used to play together at Dortmund when they won the Champions League. He was saying after the game on Tuesday that he hopes Sousa could turn it around. Alas, he didn't even make it to this weekend.

The Bristol City game should be another tough contest despite their rocky start. With the exception of Tuesday night, we've not scored shitloads in our first few games. But we've still managed to find ourselves third somehow and I think we'd be considered favourites, though I'm far from convinced it'll be a given or walkover.

It should be a fun game, assuming the weather is the same in 27 hours time. We're improving on our disasters slowly but surely, managing to hold Burnley (who are almost as hot as Watford right now) and were perilously close to making the Pompey game 2-2 instead of 1-3. I wasn't there but from all accounts the ref was attrocious. We do actually need the win as from October 16th all the way through to February we have an absolutely horrible schedule of Cardiff twice, Palace, QPR, Forest, Derby etc. not counting the FA Cup.

And on the 10000-1 chance Milly is reading this, WE STILL NEED ANOTHER FUCKING LEFT-BACK!

• Paid Members

Just had a look at our forthcoming fixture list after the Bristol City game.

League leaders QPR away.

Bogey side Crystal Palace at home.

Boro, also at home. Their current run is a bit indifferent, but will still be tough to beat.

Cardiff away.

Burnley at home.

Millwall and then Reading away.

Then back to back home games against Leeds and Ipswich. After looking at that, I'm bricking it a bit to tell the truth. Thank goodness we've picked up enough points to sit third already, because that's a tough run in.

Archived