The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Bit late to the party but Apex Predator - Easy Meat is a tad good, sounds like Napalm Death have been listening to early Swans at times.

amazing record. Napalm Death just kill it these days. They are one of those bands where their earlier albums are seen as the 'classics', but their records over the last 10 years are so are probably the best they've ever done (another example of this would he Cannibal Corpse).

I was never much of a Napalm Death guy to be honest, always more into Carcass and that includes Heartwork and the sorely underrated Swansong which is a "Death 'n' Roll" classic. Actually, that could start a little discussion about bands who've drastically changed their sounds for better or for worse.

Morbid Angel has to be one of the funniest examples, that sudden Marilyn Manson sounding album pissed off metallers more than anything and while I do think it's utter garbage I kinda loved watching the fallout from the fans and band alike.

They had an alt rock era inbetween didn't they? I've enjoyed most I've heard of them but this latest stuff is gorgeous, should be seeing them in Leamington this year.

Yeah this was the mid era, I remember having this on a tape i made from crap borrowed from the library.

Edited by Merzbow

It was quite an achievement by Morbid Angel to split opinion the way they did considering that Illud Divinum Inssnus did when it came out in the same year as the Lou Reed/Metallica collaboration. There was also s remix album put out of it too, which the band actually didn't give the OK for but the label did it anyway.

Neurosis was one of the more interesting shifts in musical direction going from hardcore punk to the doomy ambiannt sound they went onto. A Sun That Never Sets and The Eye of Every Storm will always be two of my favourite albums

I'll echo the love for A Sun That Never Sets, brilliant album.

A big one for me is Poison The Well. Their early stuff was definitely a product of it's era but Versions is pretty much perfect in my opinion but gets a lot of flack because it's not as shouty as Tear From The Red or You Become You. It's darker, more progressive and just a great album from top to bottom.

The shift Opeth took on Heritage and Watershed was pretty massive. Blackwater Park is easily in my top 5 favourite albums and I think Ghost Reveries was the last truly great record they put out. Pale Communion was a step in the right direction but I've no idea what to expect from Sorceress. Anybody heard any leaked versions yet?

• Paid Members

I'll echo the love for A Sun That Never Sets, brilliant album.

A big one for me is Poison The Well. Their early stuff was definitely a product of it's era but Versions is pretty much perfect in my opinion but gets a lot of flack because it's not as shouty as Tear From The Red or You Become You. It's darker, more progressive and just a great album from top to bottom.

The shift Opeth took on Heritage and Watershed was pretty massive. Blackwater Park is easily in my top 5 favourite albums and I think Ghost Reveries was the last truly great record they put out. Pale Communion was a step in the right direction but I've no idea what to expect from Sorceress. Anybody heard any leaked versions yet?

Opeth are a band that seem to be able to get away with anything they try.

Poison the Well are one of those bands that boomed around the time that the myspace/emocore thing was in effect, i remember You Become You and Tear From the Red but after that they fell victim of the scene dying off and people losing interest in the music, any kind of chance in direction just sealed their fate in terms of popularity. There's loads of bands from that scene you can put into that category.

How about Fall Out Boy? went from being a full on pop-punk act with to being a r&b inflienced pop act. If it wasn't for Patrick Stump's voice you'd never guess it was the same band.

Has there ever been bigger changes than Ulver? From a nordic folk brand of black metal to a much harsher sound in their 3rd album to a myriad of esoteric electronic genres along with trip hop, prog rock, classical and more. Some sounds have been better than others but for the most part they've been an amazing collective and I dare say there hasn't been a bad album, ep or single by them.

Ulver is a great shout, and a fucking great band to boot.

Opeth are one of my top five bands of all time, and the flack they've got for Heritage and Pale Communion from so called fans was laughable. Those are the type of fan that just want the same type of album over and over again. Heritage and Pale Communion showed something different from the band and made the records stand out from the others. With regards to Sorceress, the only thing that's to be had to go on so far is the short studio report videos. I'm expecting another clean vocal album as Mikael made it clear that was what he wanted to do and what the songs he was writing called for, and that he wasn't just going to stick any death metal vocals to just to appease a section of the audience

Edited by WyattSheepMask