Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Few boys i know are going to Hellfest and are trying to convince me to go. The appeal really is to just goto a European Festival but im reluctant to fork out the cash as well as going to Bloodstock.

 

Anyone been? Hows the experience?

Posted

Few boys i know are going to Hellfest and are trying to convince me to go. The appeal really is to just goto a European Festival but im reluctant to fork out the cash as well as going to Bloodstock.

 

Anyone been? Hows the experience?

 

I haven't been to Hellfest but European festivals definitely have a different atmosphere.  I've been Brutal Assault, Metal Camp and Sziget, aswell as a few very small ones.  And loved all of them.

Posted

I went to Hellfest in 2007 and 2008. It was great fun back then, but apparently it's grown massively since then so is probably just as much a nightmare as Download, Wacken, etc.

 

Roadburn as always looks amazing, but the cost and the fact it sells out almost instantly is prohibitive.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I really want to go to Roadburn next year, it's usually a great mix of doom metal and weird electronic artists and next yeah they've got Goblin scoring both Susperia and Dawn of the Dead.

 

I never want to listen to them as I'll no doubt be a bit disappointed but this band name really stuck out...

 

oFUT604.jpg

Posted (edited)

 

I really want to go to Roadburn next year, it's usually a great mix of doom metal and weird electronic artists and next yeah they've got Goblin scoring both Susperia and Dawn of the Dead.

 

I never want to listen to them as I'll no doubt be a bit disappointed but this band name really stuck out...

 

oFUT604.jpg

 

Was checking out the Hellfest lineup and came across some gems as far as names go.. 'Prostitute Disfigurement' and 'Cock and Ball Torture' had to be my favourites.

Edited by truthofsin
  • Moderators
Posted

Mastodon are playing the O2 Academy in Glasgow next week. I thought it might be good to check out some live music whilst I'm here anyway.

 

How are they live?

 

And does anyone know how big the venue is?

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Mastodon are playing the O2 Academy in Glasgow next week. I thought it might be good to check out some live music whilst I'm here anyway.

 

How are they live?

 

And does anyone know how big the venue is?

 

O2 Academy holds about 2,500. Downstairs completely standing room. Side balconys are standing and the balcony face onto the stage is all seating.

 

Can't help on whether Mastodon are good live or not. Not seen them unfortunately.

Edited by Bettencourt
  • Paid Members
Posted

I've seen Mastodon live. They're really good but I think it'll depend on how much of a fan you are? 2 of us really enjoyed it but 2 other friends who'd only heard them casually found a lot of it a bit tiresome.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Yeh i think it'd probably depend on how much of their material you know. The newer stuff is catchy and instant but the older material can be a lot to digest if you dont know any of it.

  • Moderators
Posted

Ah OK. I only really know one of their albums. Maybe if there was a bit more time to digest their disco I'd give it a go, but as it is maybe I'll give it a miss.

 

There seems to be plenty of gigs on in Glasgow anyway so I'm sure I'll find something I like the look of. Was very annoyed to find that MOP are playing in London when I'm up here, and are playing up here when I'm back home!!

Posted (edited)

From a playing standpoint they're one of the tightest live acts you 'll ever see, but if you know the material on more than a casual level you will appreciate that more. Saying that they only tend to play a select few from the earlier albums these days, most stuff comes from Crack The Skye, The Hunter and I imagine there will be a fair amount from One More Round The Sun on this tour

 

 

Quite suprised to see that day tickets (£82.50) for Download are already on sale.

Edited by WyattSheepMask
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

probably due to the poor attendance last year.

 

Well, a few of my mates have booked Hellfest tickets, another mate is trying to guilt me into going with him. Since i've been into music i've always wanted to goto a European Festival, ive never done it, but now i've got the chance i'm really not feeling it.

 

I've been to around 20 full weekend festivals now, i've looked into it a little more and the appeal of going to a massive festival in boiling French weather (reports are the weather was unbearably hot last year), all i can picture is my conveniant little Bloodstock gig, small, easy access to campsites, easy access to supermarkets outside the site, short drive. I've slummed it before, and i don't think i could do it again...ive read Hellfest experiences and they all seem to say the festival is amazing music-wise, but it's hard going.

 

My mate is guilting me cause he's acting like if i don't go, he won't go but i think when you dread something more than you're excited for it it's probably best to sit it out.

 

Maybe i just need to man up?

Edited by Ebb

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...