WyattSheepMask Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 (edited) Was never a big fan, and outside of the songs that were singles I probably couldn't tell you much else about them. I do remember Static collaborating with Burton C Bell on a track called 'Burning Inside' which I think was from a films soundtrack but can't recall which right now. Saw a poster for the UK tour with Drowning Pool that had just been confirmed when I was at Damnation and thought to myself "bloody hell, nostalgia-Fest", then read the news the next morning And that Phil Rudd story is some barmy shit. Not what you need three weeks before you release a new album Edited November 6, 2014 by WyattSheepMask Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted November 6, 2014 Author Paid Members Posted November 6, 2014 That being said, every time I've caught them live (usually at festivals, if I'm honest) they've been so much fun to watch. Shame you missed them Ebb, you seem to get to more gigs than me! i know man, they just always evaded me. I don't think they actually toured this country that often (probably only a handful of times) but i never got close to seeing them other than that time at Download. Quote
Paid Members waters44 Posted November 6, 2014 Paid Members Posted November 6, 2014 (edited) That really is mad about Phil Rudd RIP Wayne Static. They sort of passed me by to be honest, although I really like "Its Going Down" by The X-Ecutioners which he was involved with. Wayne Static announced a European tour next year with Drowning Pool which I was going to go to, not sure whats going to happen with that now. I'll still pop along even if its just Drowning Pool, worth the £15 for Bodies alone to me Edited November 6, 2014 by waters44 Quote
Paid Members Au Posted November 6, 2014 Paid Members Posted November 6, 2014 I wouldn't pay 15p to see Drowning Pool play Bodies, but each to their own. Step Up was a way better song but sadly only WWE seemed to notice... Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 You'd have to pay me to see Drowning Pool play, but as you said each to their own Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted November 6, 2014 Author Paid Members Posted November 6, 2014 I wouldn't pay 15p to see Drowning Pool play Bodies, but each to their own. Step Up was a way better song but sadly only WWE seemed to notice... Drowning Pool are very much like Soil in that they basically forged a career based on one song...one song has allowed them to tour the world for the last 10-15 years, pretty crazy when you think about it. Ironically the Soil singer obviously had a stint in Drowning Pool at point as well. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 (edited) They forged a career on one song which just enough people pay money to hear/see over and over, coupled with the fact that they are lucky enough to be on labels that keep giving them money to record with. They are the type of band that I can see play the US and the UK but mainland Europe wouldn't give a shit about because American metal is largely dogshit these days outside of the big hitters Edited November 6, 2014 by WyattSheepMask Quote
truthofsin Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 Drowning Pool are very much like Soil in that they basically forged a career based on one song...one song has allowed them to tour the world for the last 10-15 years, pretty crazy when you think about it. Ironically the Soil singer obviously had a stint in Drowning Pool at point as well. I'm a fan of Drowning Pool and enjoyed them last time i saw them, but still find it funny so many people talk about 'Bodies'. Great tune from a great album. But that was vocalist #1. They're currently on #4. Not that the vocalist is bad, as he isnt. But when most talk about 'Bodies' they are thinking of that tune as it was when released. Same with 'Step Up' actually, that was vocalist #2. Then the 'Rise Up' Smackdown theme was vocalist #2 or #3, depending on which version you listen to. So all of these songs will sound different to how folks remember them with the new vocalist. Vocalist #3 was Ryan McCombs of SOiL, who i think is fantastic, but sadly had a stroke this week. Luckily it was caught early, but time will tell how much of a recovery he will make as relates to possibly carrying on his career. Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted November 6, 2014 Author Paid Members Posted November 6, 2014 yeh that's what i mean about forging a career from a one song. I'm not saying there isn't a lot of proper Drowning Pool fans but everytime they play live i don't think it would be wrong to say that 50-75% of the audience only know one song. Quote
Paid Members Bettencourt Posted November 6, 2014 Paid Members Posted November 6, 2014 Going to the Biffy Clyro / Slash MTV gig tomorrow in Glasgow. Would it be rude if I left after Slash played? That is assuming they'll be on first. I'm just not a fan of Biffy Clyro at all. What's the forum's perception of Biffy? Quote
truthofsin Posted November 6, 2014 Posted November 6, 2014 (edited) Going to the Biffy Clyro / Slash MTV gig tomorrow in Glasgow. Would it be rude if I left after Slash played? That is assuming they'll be on first. I'm just not a fan of Biffy Clyro at all. What's the forum's perception of Biffy? I've seen Biffy twice, sub-headlining at Download and headlining at Leeds. Enjoyed them both times. But its a bit like Marmite, i think youeeither love them or you hate them. But with a decent crowd its a lot of fun. Big sounding anthems are perfect for a festival. Have never seen them on a small stage though. Edited November 6, 2014 by truthofsin Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted November 6, 2014 Author Paid Members Posted November 6, 2014 ahh big Biffy Clyro fan. I've followed the beginning right from the off and despite falling away a little when they broke big with Puzzle and Only Revolutions the new album sucked me right back in, it's fucking brilliant and it's got me back into the previous two i was never too fond of either...always great live though. Slash live at Download 2012 was one of my favorite sets ever, just classic. Quote
Paid Members Bettencourt Posted November 6, 2014 Paid Members Posted November 6, 2014 The Biffy/Slash gig tomorrow was only £10 in total, no booking fees or anything. Not shabby so I thought I'd go. May stay for Biffy and see what they're like live (only if I get made to stay), but I think I saw them at Download before Soundgarden and wasn't impressed. Maybe it was them, I can't remember. Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted November 6, 2014 Author Paid Members Posted November 6, 2014 i'd definitely stick around, especially as it's in Glasgow. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.