MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

decided to bump this again after the Van Arsdale talk in the general thread, used to have a lot of fun with this thread talking about the old shit...we've also discussed shit on here like Frank Dux, the old mythological Martial Arts type stuff that fascinates me, anyway...

On an old Joe Rogan podcast they brought up the tale of Rafael Torre.

31896.jpg

Basically a once well respected MMA journalist who faked his name and background, faked being a black belt, got involved in fixed fight, befriended Eddie Bravo, then killed someone.

I can't describe it any better than some of the write-up's online, here's a mini-doc on the subject:

absolute insanity, there's a movie in there somewhere. I can't believe i'd heard about it before.

• Paid Members

Last night I decided to start watching all my old Pride events again. I got about half way through Pride 1 and decided it would a far better idea to rewatch all the Pride:Bushido events instead. There's so many fighters that seemed such a big deal at the time that just never had that impact in the US ( either by timing or because they just weren't that good) Denis Kang seemed just so great at the time and was treated like a star but apart from getting Bisping into full mount and not being able to finish him in their UFC fight he never really showed anything in his UFC run. Did he actually fight there again after that?

• Paid Members

i wouldn't recommend anyone go back and watch the early Pride's unless you're genuinely interested in the history of the sport, they are some weird event. It's always noted that Pride never really found it's feet quality wise until around Pride 10.

I missed a lot of the Bushido events at the time, especially the earlier ones. I need to have a Fight Pass session.

Dennis Kang was a classic case of a guy who was a star in Japan (and especially Korea) who never lived upto the hype when he hit the UFC (there's been so many of them over the years). Kang was only 1-2 in the UFC when he was released, his last fight in the UFC was against Bisping. Checking fight finder he hasn't fought since 2012.

• Paid Members

I've seen the older Pride shows a few times, Its actually far less annoying watching them back now, even the different rules every show can be tolerated a little bit more but yeah, some of those early shows are just torture.

Some of those Pride only fighters had a genuine ECW vibe about them in that their popularity could only really exist in that company, at that time. Igor Vovchanchyn seemed like genuinely the nicest man of all time back them (well second to Big Nog, obviously), Enson Inoue getting matches despite losing to everyone within a round, Mario Sperry, Sergei Kharitonov, Fedor's idiot brother.

• Paid Members

Enson Inoue getting matches despite losing to everyone within a round

Doing Enson a dis-serivce there, one of the toughest muthafuckers to ever step in a ring/cage, and only Herring stopped him during the first round :)

• Paid Members

Oh don't get me wrong, I loved him, he had some wars. I know he lost to Igor on a stoppage after the first but didn't Little Nog stop him in the first as well? It was mentioned on the commentary on one of his fights because they always announced their fight record in Pride and he 1-3 or 1-4 at the time

I've spent alot of time in Korea the last few years. Its interesting how MMA developed there compared to the UK. It was all about Pride and K1 as they got the shows live and often on the big tv channels. Guys like Dennis Kang, Choo Seong Hoon (aka Akiyama) and Choi Hong Man were household names. It wasent until a few years ago that the UFC became a big deal there, before that only hardcore fans watched it.

Stun Gun is popular nowadays but barely anyone knows Zombie. UFC fans sure but the general public has no idea who he is. I've chatted to casual fans who have no idea who Chan Sung Jung is, what WEC was or that Benson Henderson is half Korean. Those same casual fans can reel of names and fights from say K1 Heroes events that have me going to google to try and remember them.

Dennis Kang's name has faded but his brother is a famous and popular TV actor. The guys still around from that era like Akiyama are still huge sports stars and are on TV chat shows all the time.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members

Denis Kang's career dropped off a cliff when his girlfriend Shelby Walker died in 2006. She was a boxer and MMA fighter herself and she died of an overdose of pain medication at 31 years old. Proper tragic.

top_03.jpg

Shelby Walker Passes Away

Posted on 09.24.2006 at 04:03 PM

I just got the news a little while ago and I am numb. Shelby Walker was found dead - believed to have overdosed on some pain medication last night. This story is confirmed. She was a wonderful person who inspired many people. However she succumbed to personal demons. Shelby was loved and will be greatly missed by all that knew her.

i cant put into words the feeling I got this morning when I got the news.

I am praying for her and I hope that you all will be too. Shelby should be remembered as the fun loving beautiful person who was the life of any party and got to live her dream. There is so much about her life people never got to know. I had the privilege of managing her and befriending her and watching her fight 2 world champions and experienced with her the thrill of victory and agony of defeat.

I will be posting more info as we have it.

I know Shelby will be looking down on all of us from heaven.

God Bless.

Larry Goldberg

She died in September 2006. At that time Kang was 28-7-1 and on a 22 fight unbeaten streak (couple of draws in there but no losses since early in his career). After she died he fought 18 more times. Won 8, lost 9, drew 1.

I don't think he'd ever have been a world beater but there's a definite drop off in his consistency after Shelby Walker's death. He was never quite the same fighter after that.

On an old Joe Rogan podcast they brought up the tale of Rafael Torre.

I read about this years ago.

Amazingly, some additional information I found this evening adds even more to the tale. From the wikipedia of former UFC fighter Gerald Strebendt (yes, I don't remember him either)

Strebendt was a key witness in the 2005 murder trial of Rafiel Torre.[2] Torre initially offered Strebendt $10,000 to kill the victim, 32-year-old Bryan Richards, who had a sizable life insurance policy and with whose wife Torre was having an affair.[2] After Strebendt refused, Torre committed the murder himself, then told Strebendt a few days later that he had killed Richards in self-defense with arear naked choke.[2] Torre asked Strebendt to provide him with an alibi, a request which was met with Strebendt's refusal.[2] More than a year after the killing, Strebendt voluntarily came forward and provided his story to detectives, out of concern that Torre would escape punishment for the murder.[2] Torre was convicted of the murder and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole; he is appealing the sentence.

On January 29, 2014, Strebendt shot and killed 53-year-old David Paul Crofut, also of Springfield, during an altercation following atraffic collision between the two drivers' vehicles.[3] Strebendt called 911 following the collision but before shooting Crofut and was still connected with the 911 call when the shot was fired.[4] Strebendt claims self-defense in the shooting; Strebendt's attorney, Mike Arnold of Eugene, states that Strebendt reached into his vehicle and retrieved his weapon, a loaded .223 caliber semi-automatic rifle, because Crofut verbally threatened his life.[4] Carrying a loaded rifle in a vehicle is legal in Oregon.[5] Crofut was unarmed during the altercation, and no weapons other than Strebendt's rifle were found at the scene.[6] Following the shooting, Strebendt was handcuffed and taken into custody, but was released later that night.[4]

Strebendt was arrested and charged with murder March 6, 2014 after being indicted by a grand jury.[7]