MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

Shamrock was mental from 2005-2006.

The Sakuraba fight was just the start. TUF 3 ruined his previous reputation as a class act. People can argue that the production on TUF is dodgy and makes people look worse than they actually are, but in Shamrock's case, they were quite kind to him. According to friends of Ross Pointon, Shamrock was worse than what was shown. His training was so bad, that the UFC had to bring in additional trainers. 

Ken's stupidest line was after his 2nd fight with Tito, where he protested the early stoppage by claiming he was "letting the bully have his way, and then it's my turn". 

While Trigg is a prick from what you hear, I actually didn't mind his commentary. He did go off on tangents, but I found him reasonable overall. He was funnier in his MMA Weekly articles though. Guillet was dire though, no question. 

Edit: Ignore my ramblings - Wand's in-depth analysis is on the previous page. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

i can't recall ever seeing that Smirnovas fight, i'll have to check it.

As for Pierre Giullet on commentary, christ. We've ripped him on here in the past, but he really is the shits. I never liked Trigg either. Trigg as a radio host on Junkie Radio was great, clearly a prick and at times would argue for the sake of it, but he was always interesting to listen too.

• 1 month later...

I can name most of them. But the two at the end on the right are giving me trouble.

Edit: Fun question. There was a month where the UFC had 4 functioning weightclasses, and only 1 Champion, with the other 3 belts being vacant,. When was this?

If anyone gets this, I will be stunned. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Emanuel Yarbrough!!

The two on the far right are Gerard Gordeau and Pat Smith, Jimbo.

Fuck knows with your second question. Too early in the day. I'll take a wild guess at sometime in 1999. The whole company seemed up in the air around then.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Without googling...

The question has to be when they scrapped the lightweight division and only had WW, MW, LHW and HW. So its probably around the time that Bustamante vacated the 185 strap. So UFC 30-34ish?

In May 2004: BJ Penn was stripped of the UFC Welterweight title, after he accepted fights in other promotions. This left the UFC with only 1 Champion until June 2004, where Mir beat Sylvia to win the Vacant Heavyweight title.

Heavyweight: Vacant (Tim Sylvia had been stripped after testing positive in 2003)

Light Heavyweight: Vitor Belfort

Middleweight: Vacant (They had not yet crowned a new Champion after Bustamante left)

Welterweight: Vacant (reasons mentioned above)

Edited by jimufctna24

I kept an eye on it, but I was by no means a fan. I only became a fan when Bravo started showing PPV cards on a one day delay (early 2005).

Looking back, 2004 was a bit of a shambles for the UFC. The UFC 46 ending was the tip of the iceberg. As TUF took place behind close doors, the only visible signs of promise that UFC fans had was Liddell going from strength to strength, and production vales slightly improving. Look at the main points of the year.

- Penn left while still Champion, making the UFC look 2nd rate. Although Hughes retained the vacant belt by beating a young GSP, both the belt and Champion still had the stigma of the Penn loss attached to it. (this all worked out in the long-run, thanks to Hughes's exposure on TUF 2, Penn's return, and GSP setting the MMA world alight in 2005)

- Their best buyrate was from UFC 48, which was headlined by strapping up and comers Ken Shamrock and Kimo. 

- They looked to have finally found a marketable and exciting Heavyweight Champion in Mir. Then he got injured, and was out for 18 months.

- UFC 50 was headlined by a tepid clash between Ortiz and Cote. It bombed on PPV as well.

- The careers of 3 of their hottest prospects went to shit (Baroni, Lawler, Lee Murray)

- Pride had a banner year, and looked untouchable to the naked eye.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

i loved the shows at that time though, i was completely unaware that the company was struggling. I was at that point where i was trying to absorb any MMA i could get my hands on (which wasn't easy at the time), you also had the 3-4 month between PPV's. I used to be proper bummed out when a show would finish cause i knew i had a stupid long wait until the next one.

...and off point, but i don't fucking believe it!

I know that here on the forum we've had our gripes with Joe Rogan over the years, one of the main gripes is the little rants he goes on. He does it on his podcast too, just little chains of thought he picks up on and he just spews em out whatever chance he gets. The most infamous is probably his thai steel cup schpiel. For years, after every low blow Rogan would talk about how fighters show look into wearing thai cups as they offer more protection.

...fast forward to 2015, listening to a fight companion podcast and Rogan says 'i can't believe thai steel cups aren't illegal', then goes on a tirade about how if you kick one you could possibly break your foot, or if you arm someone wearing the cup it could potentiall injure the arm, he even tells a story about being hurt whilst doing jiu jitsu against a guy wearing one. The nerve of that guy...

Groin_Protection_Diamond_MMA_2_large.png

Does Rogan do anything other than UFC and podcasts these days? I know he had that search for a Yeti documentary a while back. To me he's great until something crops up in his mind and then he just spouts shit about it for hours.

Edited by seanz25

i loved the shows at that time though, i was completely unaware that the company was struggling. I was at that point where i was trying to absorb any MMA i could get my hands on (which wasn't easy at the time), you also had the 3-4 month between PPV's. I used to be proper bummed out when a show would finish cause i knew i had a stupid long wait until the next one.

Yeah, I was like that in 2005.

My appetite for MMA was so much so, that I even looked forward to UFC 55 (Arlovski vs Buentello, Forrest vs Elvis and Gonzaga vs Jordan). Even after that show, I was still hungry for more MMA. When I got a copy of UFC 49. I must have replayed Liddell's thriller with Veron White about 5 times.

• 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

Didn't know where else to post this, but seeings as there's a cross over of sorts between MMA and Strongman contests i thought i'd put it here (plus its an excuse to bump the thread)...

Channel 5 has a great 6 part documentary series on demand documenting the history, greatest rivalries, greatest events etc. of The Worlds Strongest man competition. I highly recommend it.

Keep an eye out for a few pro wrestling cameos too, Nathan Jones and Ken Patera have popped up.