MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

And it was a great season. Mostly because of the Tito and Ken stuff, admittedly, but it wasn't all down to them.

Bisping was hot-cakes back then. The ovation Bisping got at UFC 70 was not just because he was English, he was very likeable on TUF. That was ruined by around late 2007, and he never really had the same charm again. 

Ortiz vs Shamrock made for wonderful viewing. Going into the season, you presumed Ken would be cast as the hero, and that Ortiz would come across as the cocky selfish sort. Instead, Tito came across really well, probably the best he has ever come across (and I say that as a fan). Ken came across as a delusional relic, who was not the sharpest knife in the draw. 

I got told by someone who knew Ross Pearson, that Ken's training was ever crappier than what was shown. It was that bad, they had to bring in additional trainers to help them out.  

• Paid Members

Yeah it says a lot about what a complete twat Ken Shamrock came across as, that Tito came off so well in comparison.

Shamrock was a rotten coach. Maybe the worst TUF coach ever. Sometimes he didn't show up at all. When he did show up he'd either end up arguing on his fighters, making them watch DVDs of him knocking out Kimo or he'd bring his roided-off-his-bitchtits mate in to tell them to eat steak...when they were trying to cut weight. Just useless. I don't know how it was sold to him but he seemed to think he didn't need to properly coach the fighters at all and that the whole thing was just a vehicle for him to get TV time. Seriously, the only time I saw him really enthusiastic about anything was when he was thrashing Tito in a game of pool.

Seriously, the only time I saw him really enthusiastic about anything was when he was thrashing Tito in a game of pool.

Or when he was kicking off on Tito.

It was amusing when he tried saving face at the end of the series by kicking off for little reason. The first time Ken kicked off was hilarious as well. "Shut up monkey" was his most witty insult. 

Ken always comes across as a class act in interviews. But when he is surrounded by other fighters, he comes across as a brain-dead moron. 

Yeah Shamrock seems a nice enough bloke when he's not doing the knucklehead bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=pfH9EXtIseo

Watch how close that bottle comes to hitting Serra in the head at 4 seconds in. To be honest, that is probably Serra's least funny bit on TUF 4. My personal favourite was when he gave Marc Laimon a bollocking.

• Paid Members

'Lemon' had that coming for weeks. He was being a right snide wanker before Serra bollocked him. Having little indirect digs about the Gracies in front of Serra and stuff, knowing full well Serra is a Renzo black-belt and close friend of Renzo and Rodrigo Gracie. Laimon just had that dickhead air about him. Johny Hendricks training with him is just another thing to dislike about both of them. Two pricks in a pod.

Serra was gold on TUF 4 and TUF 6. Him and Hughes were just the perfect clash of personalities.

Edited by wandshogun09

Laimon just had that dickhead air about him. Johny Hendricks training with him is just another thing to dislike about both of them. Two pricks in a pod.

Indeed.

Matt Hughes was a complete wanker. But I would happily tune in when he was on TV. I loved to hate him. A bit like the appeal Lesnar, Ortiz and Sonnen had. McGregor probably has that appeal with some as well.

Guys like Hendricks and Laimon are a bit different. As I have said in the past, Hendricks is usually an exciting fighter, but as a person, he draws the wrong kind of dissent from me (I.E, get the fuck off my screen).

• Paid Members

There's no denying that he's a smart guy and knows his shit, yeah. Especially when it comes to grappling. Still a cock though. Jeremy Clarkson knows a lot about cars, but he's still a cunt who I want to see get jabbed in the face with half a milk bottle.

In fairness, my opinion on Laimon was formed from a reality TV show that aired nearly 9 years ago. That's a long time, he might've changed, I suppose. But him and Hendricks together are just a one-two combo of smug sods that I can't bring myself to like. So fuck 'em.

• Paid Members

Oh Laimon is no doubt a cretin. On MMAjunkie radio he used to be the regular fight predictions guy, he used to get into arguments with callers and all sorts. It warmed me to him, but hes an arsehole make no bones about it.