A Recent Pic Of Bobby Heenan

ultimo the great

• Paid Members
I've heard a few people speak bad about Heenan, actually. Apparently Rick Rude didnt like him. A lot of WCW's Benoit-down level wrestlers thought he would only put himself over and nobody else. I remember hearing an interview with Foley in the late 90s when he said the eyes in the locker room rolled when they hired Bobby Heenan because they knew he'd try and kill the heat of anything they did while he commentated. I've never heard a fan (myself included) have a bad word to say about him though. He's a genius as far as I'm concerned. World class at about half-a-dozen different things in wrestling and funny as fuck.

If that's true then I'm very suprised, because for me Heenan's commentary probably got more heels over with me than anyone else since! He always had a little story, that he clearly made up, but somehow it made them seem infinately more interesting than they would have done without Bobby's commentary.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lot of WCW's Benoit-down level wrestlers thought he would only put himself over and nobody else. I remember hearing an interview with Foley in the late 90s when he said the eyes in the locker room rolled when they hired Bobby Heenan because they knew he'd try and kill the heat of anything they did while he commentated.

If that's true then I'm very suprised, because for me Heenan's commentary probably got more heels over with me than anyone else since! He always had a little story, that he clearly made up, but somehow it made them seem infinately more interesting than they would have done without Bobby's commentary.

That was definitely the case with his WWF run, but the man has said himself was unmotivated during the WCW run.

All the other examples so far of people not liking his commentary style seem to be referring to his WCW stint.

Didn't Foley mention something akin to that in his book, after he got power bombed by Vader on the concrete? Could be wrong.

Also I'ld like to see what Bobby looks like in the flesh, my Dad had a similar caner and from the side where it was cut out it looked worse than what he did if you just looked at him from the front.

• Paid Members

He should get one of those prosthetic chins that Roger Ebert got. Obviously from a medical point of view it makes no difference, but they do make a massive improvement.

ebert_533.jpg

ebert.jpg.jpg

Didn't Foley mention something akin to that in his book, after he got power bombed by Vader on the concrete? Could be wrong.

Foley certainly mentioned a commentator who only ever put himself over in preference to the talent in the ring, but I always assumed that was Zbyszko.

Yeah, Vader did the big power bomb that lead to the entire Lost in Cleveland or whatever the angle was. My understanding is that they dropped the vingettes, Vader and Foley had their rematch, they did the same spot, and Foley was unhappy when Heenan just used a lame quip with a US Asprin slogan instead of selling like he'd been killed.

Warrior wasn't very diplomatic about Heenan's condition after he was a talking head on the Self Destruction DVD

Sad as it is to see a childhood favourite in that state, I'm glad to see he's still out and about.

He's probably one of the few people in professional wrestling who I don't think I've ever heard someone say a bad word against him.

Only The Ultimate Warrior springs to mind for me.

Warrior's old friend The Dynamite Kid as well.

Sad picture but like it has been mentioned earlier at least he can still get out and about and I am sure it is these sort of things that keep him going.

Regarding Rude I do not think it was an issue with Bobby it was more to do with the fact that Vince wanted Rick to have a manager and think he was against the idea.

Think in his shoot Scott Steiner had a pop at him during his shoot interview.

Yeah, I don't think Rude ever said anything that bad about him (at least that I know of?). As I understand it Rude thought he was talented enough to get over on his own (and in fairness he was right) and felt that having Heenan as his manager would steal some of his thunder/put the heat on Heenan instead of himself.

I'm sure I once head they got along okay in WCW?

A lot of WCW's Benoit-down level wrestlers thought he would only put himself over and nobody else. I remember hearing an interview with Foley in the late 90s when he said the eyes in the locker room rolled when they hired Bobby Heenan because they knew he'd try and kill the heat of anything they did while he commentated.

That was definitely the case with his WWF run, but the man has said himself was unmotivated during the WCW run.

All the other examples so far of people not liking his commentary style seem to be referring to his WCW stint.

See I actually think that point has been overplayed a bit over the years. Not from you but in general "Heenan wasn't very good in WCW" seemed to be a popular talking point that I read so many times back in the late 90s (when he was still announcing for WCW) up to around 2005 that I just believed it must be true. Having actually gone back and watched several WCW PPVs in the six years since then I'm not sure how true it was. I'm not saying it is 'wrong', especially since Heenan himself has admitted he was just there for the money/wasn't as into things as he was for Gagne and McMahon, but I think he did come up with some good stuff that actually added to the shows and even brought out a bit of humour in Tenay.

Foley certainly mentioned a commentator who only ever put himself over in preference to the talent in the ring, but I always assumed that was Zbyszko.

Fairly sure he was talking about Gene Okerlund here and it was to do with Gene trying to get himself over when interviewing people rather than while commentating on matches.

Yeah, Vader did the big power bomb that lead to the entire Lost in Cleveland or whatever the angle was. My understanding is that they dropped the vingettes, Vader and Foley had their rematch, they did the same spot, and Foley was unhappy when Heenan just used a lame quip with a US Asprin slogan instead of selling like he'd been killed.

You sure? Heenan didn't join WCW until 1994 when the Vader/Cactus feud had already been and gone. Could be they had a TV match in 94 when Heenan was around but I don't remember it.

Fairly sure he was talking about Gene Okerlund here and it was to do with Gene trying to get himself over when interviewing people rather than while commentating on matches.

You sure? Heenan didn't join WCW until 1994 when the Vader/Cactus feud had already been and gone. Could be they had a TV match in 94 when Heenan was around but I don't remember it.

Yeah, it was a televised match I think. Did some digging from this site

http://wrestlingnewsmedia.com/profiles/foley.html

On April 23, in a match with Vader, Foley again took a powerbomb onto the concrete. Expecting a brilliant remark from the commentators about the fact that it was the same move that disabled him exactly one year prior, Foley was left unsatisfied with Bobby Heenan's announcement of "That'll give you Excedrine Headache No. 9." Foley recounts this as the moment that set his intention to leave WCW.

• Paid Members

He did seem to be doing just that in these two clips:

Interviewing The Natural Born Thrillas

Interviewing Team Canada

On April 23, in a match with Vader, Foley again took a powerbomb onto the concrete. Expecting a brilliant remark from the commentators about the fact that it was the same move that disabled him exactly one year prior, Foley was left unsatisfied with Bobby Heenan's announcement of "That'll give you Excedrine Headache No. 9." Foley recounts this as the moment that set his intention to leave WCW.

The more you learn: As a child I always thought it was eccentric headache!

Yeah, it was a televised match I think. Did some digging from this site

http://wrestlingnewsmedia.com/profiles/foley.html

Cool, didn't realise they'd had any more matches after the original feud ended. Foley was on fire in 94 with his various tag matches against the Nasty Boys. Anyone know how the Vader match was?

Was that before or after Gorilla died. I seem to remember "That'll give you Excedrine Headache No. 9." being a Monsoon line. Doesn't sound like a man putting himself over though, it sounds like a man who is either A. Paying tribute to his dead friend. or B. Can't be arsed to think of anything clever to say.

Archived