DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Aw c'mon, it was Bruce's chin, and he was doing Bruce's sideways smirk a lot. He just doesn't look anything like Bruce normally, so it was never going to work.

He did look harder though, I found myself warming to him for the first time.

I watched Legendary last night and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Cena isn't too bad in it, but it's no Marine (so bad it's good). The bit just before the end is a bit silly in my opinion though:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Where for his final match Cena's brother has entrance music and pyro, a bit too OTT for me.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Otherwise it's nicely paced and the cast isn't too bad. Apart from the main character's girlfriend, there are wooden performances then there is her effort for this movie.

• Paid Members

He's not a bad actor. He's absolutely excellent in 500 Days Of Summer. Unfortunately, it's a dreadful film. Also, he spends too much time doing his Keanu Reeves impression in the also crap Inception.

• Paid Members
Aw c'mon, it was Bruce's chin

Thought it was Shawn Michaels myself.

EDIT: I thought JGL was excellent in "Mysterious Skin". Very unsettling film, owing in no small part to his performance.

Edited by Carbomb

• Moderators
He's not a bad actor. He's absolutely excellent in 500 Days Of Summer. Unfortunately, it's a dreadful film. Also, he spends too much time doing his Keanu Reeves impression in the also crap Inception.

So are there any examples of him turning in a good performance in an actually good film? I'd like to judge him fairly before I write him off.. and I know actors have to prove themselves before they get offered the decent roles so I'm willing to give him a chance.

• Paid Members

I know it's not a popular movie nor a popular view on here, but I really enjoyed Brick in precisely the way it was intended. I do like a good noir, and I liked the cleverness of making a neo-noir set in a high school. Predictable, yes, but it was very entertaining, and JGL turned in a great performance. He's got the right kind of expressiveness for a Sam Spade-type role, IMO.

And yes - Mysterious Skin is excellent. It's poignant, but it never feels like the film is trying to impose an artificially-constructed poignancy on the viewer.