DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

I've just been watching a bit of The Office DVD (got the special edition boxset) and I can't remember the original DVD release, but I think it's a straight re-release of that disc... Anyway, I selected episode one and there's a ten minute documentary of celebrity praise at the start of it. All fine and dandy, but why not have that as a separate feature? Bit annoying when you just want to watch the episode, especially when there's no remote for the DVD player so you can't even fast-forward through. Then Hugh Jackman pops up over the end credits saying he had a boss like David Brent once.

When was the original DVD release of The Office series one, and was it one or two discs? I bought it years ago but no idea where it is now. The DVD menus on this new set seem exactly the same (my mate used to use them as background noise as he slept so they're quite ingrained in my memory), but I don't remember the celebrity talking heads all over the shop on the old one. If it was, they should've altered it for this anniversay set.

• Awards Moderator

No, I've got the original DVDs and they don't have anything like that on my copy. There were two discs, but all episodes of each series were on disc one in the set then the second was the special features.

Funny you should mention the background noise from the main menu, mind. I've got the same memory of watching it in bed and leaving it running at the end when the menu screen came back on to help me sleep. Odd.

Frankie is utterly wrong Piranha 3D is a camp, tongue in cheek bit of joy. I was seriously gutted I never got the chance to see it in the cinema. I honestly can't wait for the sequel Piranha 3DD, starring the Hoff and Ving Rhames with a shotgun leg.

Everyone is forgetting one of the best thing of this film is Kelly Brook's tits...

No, I've got the original DVDs and they don't have anything like that on my copy. There were two discs, but all episodes of each series were on disc one in the set then the second was the special features.

Funny you should mention the background noise from the main menu, mind. I've got the same memory of watching it in bed and leaving it running at the end when the menu screen came back on to help me sleep. Odd.

Cheers, Frankie. I've discovered the interviews and such are "wraparounds" from an Office night on BBC2, odd choice to use those versions for the DVD.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

Watched both M:I Ghost Protocol (IMAX version) and Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows on Boxing Day in Manchester. I enjoyed both for different reasons.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The former was pretty much all-action, pretty slim on exposition and goofy in places it could've done without. I've got to say Benji Dunn was a bit too much of a goofball in places but the film steered well clear of having said 'quirks' would directly fuck the mission up. Jeremy Renner's character started going in that direction, and Benji did enjoy getting his nerdy digs in but as soon as it was established that the former was actually another-proper-agent it wasn't addressed again. The Other Guy looked like a middle-man between Hunt's serious asskicking and the man Benji thinks he is, but even with the Dead-Wife-guilt there wasn't really enough about his character. The main villain was a real let-down, he got no development and precious little screen-time to be a proper menace. If you'd switched his role with the genuinely-hot-and-deadly female assassin it would've made a very good movie a fucking great one. If it's not the best film of the series in most people's eyes it's the easiest to watch.

My mother fell asleep twice during Sherlock.

[Musket-time]Frying pan over the head... knee to the guts... face first into the oven... 350 degrees... block entrance with fridge... leave the house and find someone who likes films. [speed-up back to start]

As for the movie itself, the hatchet-job of Irene Addler was very odd. The one person who out-smarted Sherlock Holmes couldn't tell her boss was about to cancel the contract? I liked Moriarty quite a lot, even if taking out the entire peace summit with his 90-second-TB brew made a lot more sense than his surgery / munitions / assassination gambit. The interplay between Holmes and Moriarty was almost flawless - The latter seemed almost super-human in his conduct, even when Holmes jumped on the one mistake that ruined the Professor's entire plan. Watson couldn't compete with that scenery-chewing on any level and didn't look awesome enough - if there is going to be a third then his feud with Moriarty's hired gun needs to take a much larger role Stephen Fry and Kelly Reilly were fine enough, but did we really need to see the former naked?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

You may all throw vegetables at my rubbish summarising.