The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

Forgot about that, he opened with Strauss didn't he in the last World Cup before his injury. Stick him in and grow some balls. Wouldn't have a clue who to drop though, as our top order are all very similar - the three you mentioned plus Root. They're all accumulators rather than hackers.India looked pretty dangerous today, as expected. The Saffers need Steyn fit sharpish.

Edited by Max Power

• Paid Members

AB de Villiers is a brilliant player, isn't he? When he got out it was pretty much over. But I could watch him bat all day, which he probably will next time we go to Sith Ifrica.But yeah, without Morkel and Steyn they are buggered. Kleinveldt is rank average and I don't know what they see in Tsotsobe either. Time to call for Brett Schultz!

Doing my best to follow the Champions Trophy and the county season from Germany. I've accepted that my afternoons are spent constantly gazing at Cricinfo pages and watching scoreboards. Doesn't do much for my productivity at all, and that'll only get worse once the Ashes start. Very fun trying to explain cricket to Germans without a clue though, and one of the guys I have regular correspondence with in Chennai is (obviously) a massive cricket fan, so we turned a call this afternoon into talking about ODI cricket. Not entirely sure my boss appreciated it...

Is anyone playing this year. I might turn out for the local 3rds/friendly XI on the odd Sunday if I can be ringed.

I am indeed, pulling on the whites and playing cricket out in Germany...which is a slightly bizarre experience. My club (THCC Rot-Gelb) is, as far as I know, the only club in North Germany to have a real grass wicket, which means that all of our away games are played on artificial wickets. The grounds we play on are stupidly tiny too. I was playing in Hannover on Sunday against Gottingen (Gottingen's ground being flooded after 40 days and 40 nights of rain, and not an ark in sight) and you had square leg umpire being stood on the boundary. No sixes allowed, so even when the batsmen were smashing it over the netting used for a boundary and into the tennis courts, it was four.The seconds (where I'm playing) is made up of a couple of English expats, one or two Germans and then a host of young guys from Afghanistan. The first team has a couple of German internationals if I'm not mistaken.Completely different world to playing back at home..

• Paid Members

It's fascinating to read about cricketing outposts and how the game is played, I love reading about this stuff, so do keep us updated on how you get on.

Will do. Some of the players are of a pretty high standard, as I said we've got some former internationals in the 1st XI and then I believe one or two other members have played List A cricket before moving out here, either for work or for love. Great guys though, and I don't think I've found a better Friday evening after work than a few hours of cricket and then a Currywurst in the clubhouse.

I'm annoyed that I'm missing this weekend's game since we're doing a friendly game away at Heligoland, who have got the current claim of being the most remote cricket club in Europe. They only set up their club last year so I believe it's their first match. If I didn't have friends coming over from Leeds to visit me, I'd have been on the team sheet.

http://www.cricket.de/erdinger-alkoholfrei...-auf-helgoland/

There's a girl doing the radio commentary. Has the world gone mad???!?

You'll get a kick in the wickets from Houchen for that.
They'll be wanting to commentate on the golf next. I bet Boycs would put her in her place.THE KITCHEN!!!!!!!!!!

Weren't mocking Boycs. He didn't care for Dermot Reeve and he wouldn't care for her either.It wasn't a violence joke either. I think that "Geoff Boycott gave his partner a black eye. Four hours it took him" is the best joke Frank Skinner ever told.

• Paid Members

Is it Donna Simmonds? I remember her commentating years ago on an ODI series in the West Indies and she was really good.Isa Guha has been doing a lot of studio stuff all of a sudden as well. She was great during the women's World Cup for Sky and she obviously got noticed out in India because she was shipped over there to do some IPL commentary. She is absolutely lovely as well.

Is it Donna Simmonds? I remember her commentating years ago on an ODI series in the West Indies and she was really good.Isa Guha has been doing a lot of studio stuff all of a sudden as well. She was great during the women's World Cup for Sky and she obviously got noticed out in India because she was shipped over there to do some IPL commentary. She is absolutely lovely as well.
It was possibly Alison Mitchell as she's been in the TMS studios a fair bit recently. I agree that Isa Guha is lovely. Much prefered her on ITV4's coverage of the IPL to Shonali.

• Paid Members

Ahh yes, I'd forgotten about Mitchell. Wasn't keen on her during the women's World Cup but she's done some great columns.England should be thankful to their bowlers and the fact that Australia are crap for today's win. The batting was pretty crap. I really hate how one-dimensional we are and that we have no plan B. Same old plodding start, no flair in the middle overs, and if Morgan and Buttler can't twat it at the end we are left scratching around. We only have two batsmen who can hit boundaries and they're not allowed in until the last 10 overs. Really frustrating to watch, but it's always fun to watch Australia lose and looking so poor.