(Super) Street Fighter IV

bcwdarkside

yeah i think I'm going to have to adopt that approach really, as its starting to make me feel inadequate and frustrated with the game lol

i think I'll continue the challenge just to get a feel for all the characters special moves, and go back to the combo challenges once I've become more experienced with the game.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I managed to unlock Cammy last night by finishing arcade mode with Crimson Viper, I found it very difficult, not as bad as with Dhalsim but it was close. I'm not looking forward to going through arcade mode with Abel, I am guessing Seth is a real nightmare to beat with him. I'm guessing characters like Blanka and Balrog will be hard to defeat Seth with also.

I came across a real whiner online, I beat him in the first match and following this I was ready to leave to find a match with somebody else but he quickly set his status to ready so I decided to give him another match, I defeated him again but he was a tough opponent and he never quit on me so I left good feedback for him, in the half hour that followed I got many pm

I found Crimson Viper quite easy to complete the game with (although I was doing on easiest, so that explaims a lot!). She was a excellent jumping hard kick into fire kick combo which I used a lot, especially against Seth.

I'm not very good with combos, I find that if I try and do them in fight situations I just can't get them right and end up completely open.

Yeah, it's bound to be full of people who are getting back into Street Fighter after years of not having played. There's a good chance you won't get destroyed by people, becuase of the mixture of novices and competent players. Plus, you might meet a few people with whom you have competitive bouts and you could befriend them. Luckily for me, JLM is almost exactly the same competence as me at any 2D fighter under the sun, so matchups are tight, frequently lasting the maximum number of rounds and only just going one way or the other. It's definitely useful to make friends with someone who is the same skill as you, or someone who is likely to grow at the same rate. As it's not Third Strike levels of technicality, but it is deeper than SFII, it does seem to pull a nice compromise between the two audiences, so you'll get a range of people to try this with.

I would say a good move would be to make friends with someone who uses a quirky underdog character, as fighting shotokans all the time is boring. You regularly get to fight them, but if you find someone who can give you a good fight with Blanka, or Gen for example, then you're on to a winner.

Incidentally, I look forward to giving people some competitive matches when I finally get it and go online! :thumbsup:

As an addendum: Defensively orientated sweeping will nicely chip down Seth. Plus it's a good habit to get into with him, as the only real threat becomes his piledriver. Seth is VERY sweepable, even on harder difficulties. Just watch out for those bastard EX moves with their invincibility frames...

• Paid Members

Balrog is going to be one of my three main characters on this one. The guy's a fucking beast. He was the most dominant character back on Super Turbo but I was always beyond shit with him. We all were, to the point where we used to consider him to be one of the worst characters. Time, experience and the fact that Blanka is my number 1 guy these days, giving me much practice with the nuances of charging characters, means that I am now able to turn in decent performances with Iron Mike Bison. Also beat Seth with him with little bother.

Blanka, Balrog and undecided. I like so many people in this one that I don't know who to choose. I adored Chun Li on Third Strike but I'm thinking of going for a totally non-charging character for my third.

Matty, if it helps, Crimson Viper was one of our Seth sticking points too. It takes some work to do heavy damage with her and it took a some perseverance. Whinehouse did it in the end.

Also, Matty, play me! You know you wanna. ;)

And yes, befriend a sparring partner. It's easily as educational as playing random folks online, just in a different way. Over a best of three rounds match against a random, you might beat them with your tried and trusted gameplan and then never see them again. Conversely, they might do the same to you. However, if you play that same person 20 times, the results will be far more telling and you'll see who's truly better. A regular opponent doesn't teach you how to fight against all different breeds of player, but it teaches you to fight against someone who has you figured out, and that's key. Someone who knows all of your moves and tricks will force you to develop and learn new tactics in a way that you might not have to if you meet five n00bs online who all fall foul of the same strategy.

• Awards Moderator
Balrog is going to be one of my three main characters on this one. The guy's a fucking beast. He was the most dominant character back on Super Turbo but I was always beyond shit with him. We all were, to the point where we used to consider him to be one of the worst characters. Time, experience and the fact that Blanka is my number 1 guy these days, giving me much practice with the nuances of charging characters, means that I am now able to turn in decent performances with Iron Mike Bison. Also beat Seth with him with little bother.

I was one of those beasts. His shoulder butt was so under-rated, as was spending a whole round charging a Final. He had so much more nuance than he was credited for, e.g. starting his Super with an uppercut variation instead. Brilliant.

Still holding off buying this, purely because I have three games on the go and know SFIV will wipe them all out when I get it.

• Paid Members

Right, I've completed it (on medium) with both Blanka & E Honda but am yet to unlock shit? Who do you have to complete it with to start unlocking characters?

I'm finding Honda to be a beast on this version.

Right, I've completed it (on medium) with both Blanka & E Honda but am yet to unlock shit? Who do you have to complete it with to start unlocking characters?

I'm finding Honda to be a beast on this version.

Here's who unlocks what. Probably not a spoiler, but I'm not 100% sure on this so I might mark it as one anyway.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Ryu unlocks Sakura

Sakura unlocks Dan

Chun-Li unlocks Gen

M. Bison unlocks Rose

Abel unlocks Fei Long

Crimson Viper unlocks Cammy

Get 2 perfects, 2 ultra finishes and beat Seth all without losing a round to unlock Akuma, who fights you after Seth.

Get 3 perfects, 3 ultra finishes and beat Seth all without losing a round to unlock Gouken, who fights you after Seth. You might also have had to complete it with Akuma prior to this.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Bwahahahaha!

• Paid Members

EDIT: CURSE YOU WHINEHOUSE!

Unfortunately Honda and Jimmy don't unlock anything, though you'll ultimately want it done with everyone on the road to unlocking Seth (*spits*).

To get individual characters, do the following:

Clear Arcade with Chun Li - Unlock Gen.

Clear Arcade with M. Bison - Unlock Rose.

Clear Arcade with Abel - Unlock Fei Long.

Clear Arcade with Ryu - Unlock Sakura

Clear Arcade with Sakura - Unlock Dan

Clear Arcade with Crimson Viper - Unlock Cammy

Unlock all of the above, then clear Arcade with 2 rounds ending in a perfect and 2 Ultra combo finishes using no continues. You then fight Akuma after Seth to unlock Akuma.

Unlock all of the above, then clear Arcade with 3 rounds ending in a perfect and 3 Ultra combo finishes using no continues. You then fight Gouken after Seth to unlock Gouken.

Now, there's plenty of disagreement about the exact criteria regarding the last two there. Some say you have to complete Arcade mode with Akuma and then meet the requirements with Gouken in order to unlock him. Others reckon you just have to have Akuma unlocked and then do the three ultras/three perfects/no continues thing. When we did it, we finished it with Akuma first and then got Gouken on the next run through, but it's not 100% confirmed that this was necessary.

• Paid Members

See! Such ambiguity. I don't get it though, because that Prima official strategy guide thing has been selling shitloads and still nobody has come in and said "look, the official guide says this, so this is the way you do it". Everyone just says what they personally did.

Archived