(Super) Street Fighter IV

bcwdarkside

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know.. but if anyone does find such a list please post a link in here... I could do with it as well.

I don't know of one yet, but there is a command list for each respective character on the pause menu. That might have to do for the time being. Write it down or something, that'll help commit it to memory.

EDIT: Looks like The Four Horsemen has provided a fine link. It's got the moves, a brief description and how an EX alters them. Good stuff.

Cheers, for the heads up....can the characters still be unlocked if you clear arcade on 'easy'? You would've thought it would have to be on 'medium' or the standard setting?

Nope, you can get them on any difficulty. It's the achievements that take difficulty into consideration.

• Paid Members

It appears to make no difference at all. Pretty sure they'll still unlock if you put it on "easiest". As Whinehouse said, there are difficulty-specific achievments. I approve of these, but I think it's fair to let you unlock characters on easiest because it would suck to deny novice players so much of the roster when they've paid for the game like everybody else.

Do people use Super combos a lot on this one? So far I'm finding that it takes so long to build meter for it that I tend to make almost every special an EX move instead, and use my Ultra for when I need that one time barrage. I use supers from time to time, but they're nowhere close to the importance they held in Third Strike.

Fought a more diverse selection of characters online yesterday. Handful of Vegas, a really bad M. Bison and a couple of Ryus who are surprisingly refreshing when they break up the endless list of Kens. I haven't lost to a Ken player yet. Not a single one. Nothing wrong with the character, hell, Daigo Umehara used him on Third Strike, but people's obsession with hitting his fierce Dragon punch makes them such easy pickings. Ryu players so far tend to be more into turtling, using the Dragon Punch only when they've provoked you into jumping.

I fought a good Zangief player last night too. I beat him but he was making really good use of 'Gief's size to dominate most of the available space. He's still slow and not that agile compared to most, but it was absolutely terrifying when I had a whole screen length's distance between us only for him to use two EX banishing fists to speed across the screen and then follow it up with the spinning piledriver. Using that move just to get around is a really good idea because his dash is poor and you have to be careful with jumping in when he's such a big target. Good to see.

• Paid Members

I'll do it when I get a minute. I can reply on the sly when my manager's not looking, but starting a new thread with a poll and stuff takes a bit more work. I think she's out this afternoon, but if not I'll have to do it at home this evening. Now please stop hassling me or I will turn this car around and we'll go back home and there'll be no Disneyland for anyone.

• Paid Members

So on the rllmukforums there's an epic Streetfighter IV that's been going for aaaages. The unlocking Gouken question has been asked approximately 100 times. Someone got sick of it:

To unlock Gouken, you need to:

1. Not lose any rounds.

2. Get at least 3 Ultra combo finishes.

3. Get at least 1 perfect.

4. Play with one eye closed.

5. FADC absorb at least 6 of Dan's fireballs.

6. Half way through the fight with your rival, you need to pause the game and listen to "Fairground - Simply Red" (

)

7. With Fairground still playing, you need to make sure that every hit you perform against seth is in beat. Should the song end before this, then you will need to erase your savefile.

8. GOUKEN GET!

Also this bit of ingenious satire:

1235219298951.jpg

• Paid Members

This game needs double-blind character selection for ranked matches like in HD remix.

Character select screen psyche-outs are the lamest thing ever. The amount of Ken players who have hovered on Abel for 20 seconds before quickly scooting over to Ken at the last moment is embarrassing. "A ha! I was planning to pick Ken this whole time, and you are now woefully unprepared, you foolish early picker!".

I haven't lost to a Ken yet and I'm going to pick Blanka 99% of the time anyway, so if you're going to pick Ken then just fucking pick him.

So there's that, the tedious mind-games of character selection. More crucially though, people being able to benefit match-up-wise by simply picking their character second just shouldn't happen in ranked games that are decided on just one match. Having it double blind means that a) people just get on with picking who they were going to pick and b) people won't be able to use the tier system to their advantage just by picking second.

They had this on HD remix, so why they changed it back is beyond me.

My win/loss record is still fairly strong. I've won 47 out of 56 online games so far. Three of my losses were to Sagat players on ranked, so I think I need to find a strong Sagat player to spar with to overcome this problem. He is considered top tier on this game, and quite rightly so. I'm yet to lose in straight rounds, which is a record I'd like to keep for as long as possible. Also lost to two Cammy players. She's a tough match up for Blanka. Me no likey the Cannon Spike.

I almost lost to a Balrog player last night who was driving me absolutely insane. He was turtling as if being hit in the game caused him actual real life pain. It was totally infuriating. Crouch guard for the whole match and then attempting to poke me to death with jabs and mediums when I left openings in my onslaught. I lost the first round and then had to exercise extreme patience to beat him over the next two. I checked him out and he's doing pretty well in terms of battle points. He also had the ten match ranked winning streak achievment. I can see why. I almost lost out of sheer rage and frustration. Ended up having to mix up Blanka balls, doing the jab version, which made him whiff his charging headbutt thingy because I'd stop short of him. That was literally the only way to open him up. Still, half the fun of online is seeing how others set about getting their wins and trying to overcome it.

I love this game a little bit too much. Sorry.

Ok first of all, I love this game.

I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan of Beat Em Up's. I was incredibly disappointed with Soul Calibur 4 and don't regularly play anything else. I was a fan of the SNK games but wouldn't consider myself to be good.

I'm doing ok with Street Fighter 4. I've played 100 ranked matches on XBL and have won 61 of them.

Is a 61% win/lose ratio ok?

JLM - You seem like you know what you are talking about. I tend to go Dhalsim and have mastered his moves (I think). I do however struggle with the D-Pad, especially when trying to do an Ultra or Super combo at a critical moment. It can usually result in a loss if my character jumps forward by mistake.

I didn't think I'd love this game as much as I do. I'd go as far to say as i'm addicted. I can't stop thinking about it. My head is full of quarter circles!

I just wish the d-pad on the 360 controller was a little bit better!!!!

my gamertag is Shuttermatt if anyone wants a game. I'm very mildy confident with my character but would love a decent match.

Also, i've tried hosting games loads and loads (namely to get the achievement!) but noone ever joins. Anyone ever had any problems with this or is this possibly a router problem?

Thanks

Matt

• Paid Members

Dhalsim, awesome, he's under-represented on SFIV so far.

One of the guys on the rllmuk forum plays as Dhalsim and people have been mentioning odd tricks he does here and there. One is to do an EX Yoga Fire and then instantly teleport to the other side of the opponent. This makes them block the wrong way like a cross-up and they get a back full of fire.

If people wonder what "cross-up" means, I apologise. I actually hate using esoteric nerd terminology, but in this case it's a handy way of describing something in two words rather than writing it out.

A cross up is simply attacking your opponent in a way that makes them unsure which side your attack will come from.

For instance, my main character is Blanka. I'm on the left, my opponent is on the right. He's crouching and blocking. Aside from overhead attacks and a few other options, he is pretty well defended. In these situations I might try a very simple cross-up to break his guard.

I'll jump and do a jumping medium kick, but instead of aiming it at him, I'll jump clean over the top of his head, and time the kick so that Blanka's trailing knee hits his character as I'm directly above or just about to come down on the other side of him. Jumping over him forces his character to turn round, and so in effect he's now pressing the wrong direction to block and gets kicked in the face.

If you knock someone down you can really mess with their head by switching sides on them from time to time. They'll quite often do their "wake-up" move the wrong way or just curl up into a ball and let you keep control.

Thanks for that JLM.

I've actually done that cross up, although admittedly the first time was by mistake.

The EK Yoga Fire requires the opponent to block twice, and the Yoga Teleport is very similar to the Ultra/Super combination. So its very easy to accidently teleport when you were in fact going for a big move.

I've since used it to my advantage now and its quite rewarding confusing opponents.

I presumed Dhalsim players would get shot down because of his long ranges attacks being quite "cheap".

I'm finally learning the value of blocking. Defending means so much in this game. Especially when Dhalsim seems relatively weak compared to others. Maybe thats not actually true though!

What's your gamertag JLM? I'd love to give you a game but I fully expect you to kick my ass!

I've only got 1084 BP just now. My longest winning streak was only 7. I lost to a Ken which infuriated me no end. I was hoping to get the achievement.

Is it just me or does anyone elses heart do funny things when they're playing online? Like your blood pressure is pretty high and when you know your getting kicked your heart is screaming "NOOOOOOO!!!".

Might just be me.

• Paid Members

Dhalsim has never been really considered cheap, so you shouldn't have any trouble there. There's so much backlash against the endless stream of Kens that it'd be considered refreshing I think. He was considered the second strongest character (behind Balrog) on Super Streetfighter 2 turbo, but the Dhalsim players I've read commenting on SFIV reckon he's dropped down the pecking order significantly. Sagat is considered top of the pile at present. His range has always been balanced by the fact that his movement speed is incredibly slow. Also the long arms and legs can be hit, so there's a definite risk and reward factor. I've seen Dhalsim get Dragon punched in the hands when he's stood on the other side of the screen.

It did occur to me that the three punches command on the ultra might lead to the odd accidental teleport. It only really affects Dhalism too, because Akuma and Bison's ultras and supers don't need rotations.

I suck badly with 'sim and have only played against one or two people who consider him a favourite on HD remix, and nobody at all on SFIV, so it'll be good to play against you.

I haven't got ten ranked wins in a row yet either, which is infuriating when some of the people I've murdered have already got it. I'm only a moderately skilled player but I know I'm better than some of the people who have already bagged ten in a row. I always seem to meet a beast of a Sagat or a decent Cammy player about 8 games into the run. The problem is that an endless stream of really poor Kens can make things too easy and throw me off my game when I play someone with a bit of sense.

I have a simple testing system when I'm bored of Kens. The average dodgy Ken player will open every round by either jumping towards you for a heavy kick, or jumping away and then throwing a fireball. Seriously, take note of it and you will see that nearly all of the bad Ryu/Ken players will do this without fail. Without fail is the key here. It's not that everyone who does it is stupid, but people who start every single round with it tend to make easy opponents. My start is simply to charge before the round starts and unleash a vertical roll with Blanka the second the guy shouts "FIGHT". If this ends up twatting them out of the air, then I'm instantly confident that I'll win the match because they've followed the formula.

It was even better on HD remix because I had a perfect formula to get a perfect against these people.

Vertical Roll to knock them out of the air when they jump at the beginning.

Follow with sliding punch sweep thing which they won't block because they'll try a wake up move and not think they'll be hit low.

Follow up with the same again to double bluff. This makes them crouch block because they don't want a third.

Jump in with medium kick or fierce punch because it hits crouch blockers.

This dizzies them. Follow up with the bite.

Whilst biting, charge the horizontal Blanka ball and unleash this as soon as you've released them from the bite.

Round over, Perfect.

What's even funnier is if this works AGAIN in the second round. :laugh:

If it doesn't, they now have such fear about being murdered in the same way again that any slight variation will totally ruin them and the second round will be just as easy.

I did this exact routine to literally 30 or 40 Ryus and Kens when playing HD remix. Very satisfying to do.

My Gamertag is JasonC85. I'd suggest putting yours in the pinned gamertag thread at the top if you want a few more opponents. Don't be so sure I'll beat you. Firstly I'm not used to playing Dhalsims, and second, if you're at least competent you'll give me a game because I've still only played this against a handful of good or experienced opponents. The two UKFFers I've played clearly haven't played a lot of SF and one of them had only had the game a couple of hours. Most of my online opponents have been fairly average or totally useless (at least by the standards of someone who has my unhealthy love of Streetfighter), and the few who were moderate to good have either given me a good game or Sagated my face off. Or, in the case of Whinehouse, my regular beat'em up sparring partner, we're about 50/50 on wins and losses, as we always are on these games it seems.

As for stress, I totally lose my composure when in a close match on ranked. It's really hard for me to focus on getting the inputs and timing right and I'll fluff moves that should be second nature. Also the other day I had a 9 win streak broken and shouted "FUUCCCCKKIIIIIING SAAAAGAAAAAAT!!!" really loudly. Far too loudly considering I was sat on my own at the time and didn't have a headset on. I was shouting at the gods for cursing me with such a bastard opponent I guess. The reason I'm so proud of my Balrog victory mentioned earlier is that I lost the first round out of sheer frustration but was able to keep my cool and work around his infuriating style of play to edge out a narrow victory. I've quite often lost in the third round against annoying opponents because I get too wound up and just unleash my ultra at a stupid time, or try take off their last sliver of health with rash and random attacks because I know I just need to land one more hit to kill them. The best SF advice I've seen so far is that the round isn't over til its over. An opponent with one milimetre of health does exactly the same amount of damage to you as someone with a full bar, but it's so easy to forget that in your eagerness to finish them off. A round is never in the bag until you've knocked them out. Seriously.

Oh my god, I can't control my post length when talking Streetfighter at all.

Hehe it's all good man. Thanks for the advice.

I'm completely useless with charge characters so if I stick to other characters we might have a few good games.

Funnily enough I've had the exact same experience with the "Ken's".

I'm giving away my game plan here but I always start of the fight with a Yoga Flame. This isn't the fireball one, it's the one where the opponent needs to be close. I start every round with that, fairly confident the opponent will jump towards me. They then get FLAMED and I follow this up with a low slide. They are usually so infuriated that I got two quick shots in, they'll jump in AGAIN and i'll do the same thing. Failing that, i'll jump back, let them jump towards me and catch them with a Yoga Flame (high) or a All Kick to the face!

The amount of people that don't know how to block is shocking.

I had the strangest fight of my life last night against a C Viper. They kept doing that high jump, get in really close beside me and do 3 small kicks to my legs. They'd then jump back, jump high again into me and do the exact same thing. They did this throughout the whole match. The worst thing was, they were blocking all my fireballs and low attacks. So they obviously knew how to block. They just decided on being an incredibly cheap annoying player. We even had a stand off where we both just looked at each other. I didn't have a mic on but I telepathically said "what the fuck are you doing?" to which they telepathically responded "I don't know. Is this annoying yet?" and then continued to do it.

Man i can't wait to finish work, got no plans tonight so gonna get straight onto Street Fighter 4. I hope the girlfriend is busy.....

Archived