(Super) Street Fighter IV

bcwdarkside

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Capcom has unveiled two new characters for the arcade edition of Super Street Fighter IV, reports Joystiq.

During the Tougeki fighting game tournament at the Tokyo Game Show, the studio confirmed that Yun and Yang will join the game's roster.

Introduced in Street Fighter III, Yun and Yang are twin kung fu experts from Hong Kong. The characters went on to star in SFIII Second Impact and SFIII Third Strike, as well as numerous Capcom spin-off titles.

It is thought that the fighters will be added to the console editions via DLC, though this has not been officially announced.

Super Street Fighter IV arrives in Japanese arcades later this year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Who's your new main? Is this the transition to T Hawk continued, or someone else entirely?

It's Chun Li these days. Almost a thousand ranked matches played, and god knows how many if you include all the other modes. I'm trying to do it properly as well. My Blanka was really self-taught and ghetto, with tips stolen from here and there if possible, but with Chun I'm watching and reading everything I possibly can to learn the character as completely as I can. Been drilling her b'n'b combos hard, learning my match-ups and watching my own replays to see where I'm fucking up etc. I started off with a terrible win/loss ratio of sub 50%, but have slowly pulled it up to about 56% over the past few sessions, with a steady small increase each time I play. I'm at the stage now where if I play ten ranked matches I expect to win more than I lose, even if it's still only 6/10 on a bad day.

I still lose matches I know I'd have won if I picked Blanka, so there's a huge amount still to do, but it's definitely getting there now. Rufus is a problem, as is Cammy if the Cammy player does a lot of instant air cannon strike rush down. Shotos aren't as easy as they were with Blanka because Chun doesn't scare people like he does and she also has pretty low health. Luckily it's an easy match to work on because the average run of ten ranked games still often seems to go: Ryu, Ryu, Ryu, Akuma, Ryu, Adon, Ryu, Ryu, Akuma, Ryu. I beat a Ryu player who had 14,000BP the other day, which was rather satisfying and also gave Chun about 130 points from one match because he was 10,000 higher than me. Yeah!

My top five now goes:

1/2) Blanka/Chun (it's a tough call here. My Blanka is really rusty because I've barely used him since Super came out, but I don't think my Chun is as good as my Blanka was when I was at my best. She will be though. Oh yes.)

3) T. Hawk a/k/a Big Texas. I have big respect for anyone who properly mains Hawk because the guy is SHIT. I love him in his pink denim on denim, I've learned to really enjoy playing him and I can murder people who don't know how to fight him, but seriously, he is SHIT.

He loses to the following characters almost for free: Ryu, Akuma, Chun Li, Dhalsim, Seth, Guile, Sagat.

Five of those characters are very popular and very common, so that's just terrific. Aside from that, anyone with a half decent projectile game like Rose or Gouken can batter him, anyone with good normals and pokes should be able to keep him out if they're smart. Gief has been nerfed to an insane degree and he still has less bad matches than Hawk.

He has nothing against fireball zoning. Nothing. The EX Condor Spire only works if they do fireballs at suicidally close range, and the Condor dive punish will only tag a good player once before they learn it. The dive itself is shit as well. You have to angle it to cross up or to stop short, because if it gets blocked you are dead. Given that you can only do it on neutral or forward jumps, they know exactly when it might be coming and it's the most obvious move ever. People say it makes him more mobile than 'gief, but I'd take his EX green hand over any of Hawk's stuff, and I'd take the lariat over Hawk's hilariously shit dragon punch.

This sounds like frustration after failing massively with Hawk, but that's oddly not the case, mostly because nobody on ranked seems to know how to fight him and there are so few good Hawk players on there. I just came to realise these limitations and conclude that he really is just a worse version of 'gief, but thankfully one I find a lot more fun to use and thus persist with.

The other problem with Hawk is that his shitness guarantees that he stays shit, if that makes sense. Few top players are bothering, there's very limited footage of good Hawk players to draw inspiration from and you never see him used at tournaments. So you have to learn him with no help, you have to somehow find ways to win his numerous impossible match-ups and you have to do this with the thought that there are 34 other characters you could be using at the back of your mind.

He is better than Hakan though. Not for long if the Super SFIV Arcade patches make their way to the console, but he is for now. Even there though, one of North America's best Zangief players has been putting out Hakan tutorials and doing everything he can to make the character work, so even that useless oily man has more support than double denim Hawk. T. Hawk does have an improvement in Super SFIV Arcade edition though. He has an EX condor dive performed with three kicks that can be done on a backwards jump. He needs that SO BADLY, so I hope that comes along in a console patch.

4) Sakura. Love Sakura, particularly with all the fun stuff you can do with her Ultra 2. That, her improved fireballs and the jumping MK cross up have made her even more fun that she was in SFIV. Then when you get the EX Hurricane kick and the resets going it gets awesome. Oh and her crouching fierce punch stillbeats every aerial move ever. Amazing.

5) Gen. My Gen is incredibly basic, but that still makes him better than most people's and good enough to beat the countless people who have no clue what to do against him. I'm not good but he's always a character I pick when I've been through my usual set.

I also have almost half the cast up to rank C, in pursuit of that C to shining C achievment. I'm not really a gamerscore person, but I like the idea of forcing myself to get a bit more familiar with few characters who are still totally alien to me. In fairness there are only about four characters I'm dreading doing, so it should be OK. After that I'm just waiting on the Yun and Yang DLC release date announcement. I want Yang now, I love that guy.

Better stop there.

• Paid Members

Got SF2 HD Remix yesterday as part of Playstation Plus. It looks wonderful in 32" HD and almost inspired me to buy SSFIV again. I didn't though because i'm getting Enslaved, Rock Band 3 and Smackdown over the next few weeks so sadly it'll have to wait :/

• Moderators

Awesome. I've missed reading you waxing poetic about Streetfighter! I haven't played a whole lot recently, but I've had the opportunity to play with some shitter characters and characters that I'm shit with when I have because I've been playing against a friend who's still learning the ropes. In particular I've enjoyed starting to get to know Dhalsim and Fuert

• Paid Members

I haven't SF brain-dumped on here in a while. I mostly do that on RLLMUK these days because their SSFIV thread is usually so lively and I've actually met a good few of those guys now.

I still use Hawk from time to time and I have a solid game that I'm fairly satisfied with, but Chun is the best fit for me. I did always used to lament not starting with Chun on Vanilla SFIV in the first place, so I'm mostly making up for lost time. Low shorts into EX legs. This is the key to victory in life. I need to work on the Mike Ross piano method that he does to get Honda's fierce hundred hand slap so consistently, but that's for later. I also need to get her link combo with the jabs into the standing fierce down. I do have an option select with Chun, which is pretty fancy for me. I've never used one before (aside from crouch-teching), so it feels quite advanced even though it's the most simple thing in practice:

Chun Li's jumping double fierce punch hits twice. Therefore it beats focus attacks. A common response to it from characters who have a good back dash (Cammy, Makoto, Rose, Chun etc.) is to focus absorb the first punch and then dash out. What I stole from SRK recently is a handy option select against anti-air focus attacks where you go:

Jumping fierce punch - > Down + fierce punch + roundhouse kick (or down + taunt if you prefer).

If they don't dash, you get the second punch of the double fierce and can continue from there. If they do dash, the second punch doesn't come out and you immediately land and do a sweep, which catches the back dash. The fact that you've done the input whilst still in the air means that the sweep comes out at the earliest possible moment. It's pretty swish. Need to learn more of these.

Gamerbee's Adon has a LOT to answer for. He's spawned many many shitty imitators online. You can find his replays on the new replays list under Asia. He's one of the few A ranked Adons, so he stands out. Daigo is under "gameinn" (I saw him lose a match to Japan's best Hakan on there the other day, I'll try and dig out the footage of that one) and most other famous Japanese players have an XBL tag now. He's still considered a low-mid-ish tier character, but it just highlights that the gap between tiers in this game is never so unbalanced as to not be fixable by an exceptionally talented player. There are only a handful of matches that are actually broken, with 'gief vs Seth being the only one that truly doesn't work.

Similarly, Mike Ross makes E. Honda over achieve just by being awesome. I love Mike Ross, partly for being the undisputed king of the high drama comeback, partly for rushing down like crazy with turtley Honda, partly for playing Dan at his local RanBats and partly for the general intangible brilliance of the man. There's a documentary coming out about him soon, so look for that, but for now:

And Mago, Starnab and Evans have proved that Fei Long is tournament viable as well.

Hakan is the only character so far who just isn't a realistic proposition, but Capcom are clearly addressing that with the next balance patch. They've made it so his oil "stacks" onto previous oilings, so if you get little oil top ups in during the round you can just stay slicked, which makes him dangerous. They've also made it so that loads of his moves can be cancelled into oil, so anything ending in a knockdown can be followed by light kick oil for a boost before they get up. And they've made it so you can cancel moves into his 360 + kick flying grab that catches jumpers, so you could jump in with a block string and then end it with that move to catch them if they do something silly. Bigger and better timess ahead for Hakan, hopefully.

I haven't been to a tourney since SVB, but I'm on the look out for any that are coming up. Want to test my Chun at a competition soon. Also I have a shit-ton of videos I could post in here at some stage. Combo videos, great matches and various other curios. Must remember to come back and do that when I'm not at work some time.

Oh, on the Gen front, there was a kid at SVB with an OUTRAGEOUS Gen. He turned up late for his group because his mate's van got broken into outside the venue, but when he did show up he just beat every opponent in succession, including another Gen player who couldn't hold a candle to him. I think he's about 16 and he is phenomenal. Does it all on a modded PS2 pad as well. I'll ask the people on RLLMUK who know him if they have any good footage of him.

Lastly I have a Dan replay saved that I need to show you some time. There are various requirements on rllmuk and SRK about what a good Dan victory should include. In this case I busted out the classic that is:

Dragon punch - > FADC - > Crouching taunt.

The best thing is that the taunt actually hits them, but for 0 damage, and it still takes longer for you to recover than they do because they just get reset to standing and the crouch taunt can't be pulled out of like a normal taunt.. So you burn two bars of meter for an outrageously cocky move that ultimately makes you get hit. Bonus points would have been mine if I'd had Ultra 2 ready at the time and still opted to juggle them with the taunt instead.

• Paid Members

SEMI-EXCLUSIVE JLM ACTION FOOTAGE

Uzi over at rllmuk has kindly uploaded one of my finest Dan performances for me:

UKOG MUBZ is not a shit player either, as evidenced by the absolute beasting I get in the second round.

KRK - > FADC - > Crouching taunt. Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

pa210273.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm just finished putting together my custom fightstick. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hardcore player, in fact I'm terrible; really really terrible. But I saw one of the threads on Shoryuken and saw what people were putting together and decided I wanted to give it a go as a little project. The buttons and the stick are Sanwa although I doubt I'll ever play at a level that it'll make a difference. A guy called Kitsunisan donated me his artwork to which I'm eternally grateful. Very generous indeed, he even resized it for me as it was originally designed for a tournamenrt edition stick.

There are a few air bubbles under the art which is a shame so at some point I may reopen it and see if I can improve the finish.

Right, I really should learn to use the blessed thing now. Changing from my Xbox pad is taking some getting used to.

• 8 months later...
  • Moderators

So... Arcade version!

Also, my reintroduction to Street Fighter after a painfully long hiatus due to an Xbox that didn't read discs.

Who all on here is still playing Street Fighter, then? There still seems to be plenty of online opponents of all levels, which I'm glad about.

Haven't decided which one of the new characters I'm going to focus on more heavily as yet. I imagine it will be one of Yun or Yang as they're totally new to me. I really like Oni's mid-air backslide fireball though.

For someone who has been out of the game for so long, can someone direct me to a resource where I can -

a) See what's changed in terms of the balance of the game

b) Check out combos for the new characters

Also, with the new replay functionality, if you know any good names to look up for hot replays then please let me know! Especially if it's someone who plays a lot with any of the new characters..

• Paid Members

Basic Oni stuff:

Just in case you didn't know, his air dash can go upwards or forwards as well if you use different punches.

The EX version of his qcf + kick slashing move is a cross up and is hard to react to, particularly online. You can juggle straight into either of his ultras off it or just a dragon punch if you don't have ultra.

You can do his super in the air as well as on the ground.

Ultra 1 (the fireball one) has three different versions. There's the regular, one that goes straight upwards and it can also be done in the air.

He also has two versions of each of his normal attacks when standing up, so there's jab or forward + jab, medium punch or forward + medium punch. A lot of characters have one or two of these but Oni has all six. The forward + hard punch one can absorb fireballs, which is pretty pimp.

One of his major weaknesses is that you can't FADC his dragon punch unless it hits the opponent, so if it gets blocked you're screwed. It's literally the only uppercut/dragon punch-esque move in the game with that property. Guess it makes him less shoto-y. Although he has some of the same basic tools I really don't think he plays like a shoto at all.

Balance-wise, the short version is this:

Yun is the best.

Makoto, Fei Long and Yang are one step below him

Everyone else slots in beneath them to varying degrees, though nobody is completely rubbish any more.

One line better or worse summaries. I can be specific if there's any you're interested in:

Ryu got worse.

Ken got much better.

Chun Li is almost unchanged.

Blanka got worse for shit players but better for good ones.

Zangief got worse but he does alright against the twins.

E. Honda got worse.

Guile got worse.

Dhalsim got worse.

Balrog got a little bit worse.

Vega got better.

Sagat got better.

Bison got a little bit worse.

Akuma is almost unchanged.

Fei Long got much better despite being one of the best in SSFIV anyway, which is why he's top tier now.

T. Hawk got better.

Dee jay got much, much better.

Cammy got changed fairly significantly and it's still 50/50 on whether she's better or worse.

C. Viper stayed almost the same and is now upper tier simply because most of her rivals and bad match-up characters got worse.

Abel got a little worse.

Fuerte got much worse.

Rufus got a little worse.

Hakan got much, much better.

Juri got a little better.

Rose got worse.

Gen got much better.

Sakura got much better

Dan got much, much better.

Cody got better.

Guy got better.

Dudley got better.

Ibuki is roughly the same.

Makoto got much, much, much, much etc etc etc. better.

Adon changed a little but isn't really better or worse.

Gouken got much, much better.

Seth changed a fair amount and is possibly a little bit better for it. Debatable.

For balance changes, there is no complete list but Shoryuken and Eventhubs have compiled most of the known changes. There's also an ongoing video series detailing them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GLHFtv

For matches and replays:

This is the best channel for SFIV replays from online matches:

http://www.youtube.com/user/0ShinAkuma0

Search his uploads and check out some of his playlists. If you see anyone on there who impresses you you can get their gamertag from the description or video and then follow them.

Yun footage is easy because he's the best character in the game and is currently played by arguably the best player in the world, Daigo Umehara. His tag on XBL is gameinn. A lot of the top Japanese tournament players at least have Yun as a second or third character now because you can't really compete without it.

Yang is pretty popular as well, but I'd say Nemo is probably the best. His XBL tag is nmot.

For both of the twins you need to look to Japan for the best stuff because they've had AE for almost a year now, though there are already some beastly American Yun players and Justin Wong and Australia's HumanBomb both have mighty Yangs.

Oni is a second character for a lot of good players but I don't think anyone is using him as their tournament "main" that I've seen. One of Japan's top Akuma players, Eita, uses Oni on Xbox live though. His tag is Eita1988.

Evil Ryu I don't know. He's not taking off really. He's a bit like Ryu and a bit like Akuma but not as good as either of them because he doesn't quite have Ryu's solid fundamentals and he doesn't have Akuma's ridiculous array of offensive and escape options. He's good fun, I like his Third Strike styled normal attacks and his new special moves and combos and such, but I can see why competitive players aren't using him. I love that you can cancel his forward + mk hop kick straight into raging demon. It means you can hop over someone's low attack and immediately punish it with Demon. Looks bad ass. His EX axe kick is really good too and is an overhead.

This match from NorCal Regionals 9 where America's best Tekken player rocked up with his Evil Ryu and upset Justin Wong is worth a watch:

Archived