What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
Also, "what job should Homer have in this episode?" and "what foreign country or different place will the family go to in this episode?" ruined it, at it's best it's a simple show where the gags do the talking, now everyone in the family has been famous separately and as a unit about 100 times, it's shit. Them leaving the town or doing something different should be a big deal, not an everyday occurrence. The Lemon of Troy is a great episode, a well written local adventure with hilarious moments, what the spirit of the show is for me. The reason I can still watch Family Guy is because it's always been shit, over the top and stupid, it can't "jump the shark" but the Simpsons used to be hilarious with real heart, I can't stand to see what it is now.

The thing I feel with Family Guy is not that it got appreciably shitter over the years, but just that it was always shit, but in the early years, seemed fresh in some way. Then, the cancellation happened, and it got to build up a fan base on DVD (I remember a DVD reviewer friend giving me her review copy) - it came back with a head of steam that has yet to be exhausted, even though it's staler than stale, and has been for years.

• Paid Members

While I don't agree that Beavis & Butthead was the best animated sitcom I will say that the episode where Beavis intentionally sticks his finger into a power-saw and cuts it off is one of the funniest things ever.

• Paid Members
While I don't agree that Beavis & Butthead was the best animated sitcom I will say that the episode where Beavis intentionally sticks his finger into a power-saw and cuts it off is one of the funniest things ever.

It really is. I've no idea why it's so funny, but it just is.

Just noticed by pure chance that they have made a TV spin-off from the From Dusk Till Dawn movie.

Very cynical about this kinda things going back to memories of the Friday 13th and Elm Street spin offs which were fucking honking and just using the name and little else but from reading up on it the reviews seem pretty favourable thus far plus it's got Robert Rodriguez behind it so have got the first six episodes and going to make a start on it tonight.

• Moderators

I'm watching Stars In Their Eyes on Challenge because I'm cool like that, and two girls from around my area just did Stay by Shakespeare's Sister in the GREATEST TV MOMENT EVER. My pants are full of wee.

• Moderators

Fargo was pretty fucking good. Martin Freeman did his best William H Macy and Billy Bob Thornton always rules. Looking forward to next weeks. It kept the darkly funny feel of the film, one of my very favourite films, and was a success for me.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Moderators

Yeah. None of the originals are in it though. It's based in 2006 as opposed to 1987 and apparently they've made it as a "10 hour movie". It's got it's Mike Yanagita moments in it and loads of nods to the film too. Apparently The Coens thought it was so good they signed on to be Exec Producers after seeing the first cut despite having no input as they liked it that much which is enough recommendation for me.

Edited by PowerButchi

Been watching Brooklyn Nine Nine over the last few days on the recommendation of a friend.Thought it would be the usual E4 shite,but it's actually surprisingly watchable.Andy Samberg manages to tone down his annoyingness to a bearable level and Andre Braugher from Homicide is good value as the captain.Terry Crews and the food critic detective are great fun,and the two women detectives are easy on the eye as well.

First new-ish US sitcom I've watched in a while that I've actually enjoyed.

Fargo was pretty fucking good. Martin Freeman did his best William H Macy and Billy Bob Thornton always rules. Looking forward to next weeks. It kept the darkly funny feel of the film, one of my very favourite films, and was a success for me.

What is the general opinion of Fargo from the other posters on here? I have watched it a few times over the years and watched it again before watching the new TV series. While I like it and do find it to be a good film, I really have never got why is gets such overwhelmingly great praise.