What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Anyone watching Black Sails? I found the idea quite interesting, but that was because in my head I made it "Pirates, Spartacus-style." The first episode wasn't any good, and I haven't watched more since then. Is it worth sticking with?

It was getting some good reviews in the Neflix/Lovefilm thread a week or so back. The trailer doesn't grab me at all so I am also interested in hearing more people's thoughts.

Currently big into The Blacklist. Has been a fantastic show since it started in September and heading towards the season 1 finale. Recently finished up watching season 1 of Bates Motel. Great concept and much better than expected. And will be starting Hannibal season 2 this week! Some great shows around right now.

was put off The Blacklist from the trailer, i love Spader but the hot, young, intelligent CIA lady is such a cliche...i may get on it one day for the Spader factor.

Give it a go for sure, Spader is fantastic in it. Definitely the top show in our house since it started in September. Good ol' Hulu!

Couple of months ago I recorded a series on telly called The Americans, and have only now started it.

I have to say, it's really entertaining! It follows a couple, outwardly typical middle Americans, who are in fact soviet spies, living through the political upheavals of the Regan era. It's a bizarre mix but it works - sort of like Homeland but where Carrie and Brody are married with kids. In the 80s.

Recommended, anyway. It's more serious than Alias, less than Homeland but with plenty of sex and violence.

• Moderators

Just seen the Lady Gaga episode of the Simpsons. No hyperbole, but the worst 30 minutes of anything I've ever seen. She was basically the real life poochie. I can't believe how bad it actually was. Like a worse Stark Raving Dad and that was a terrible episode. Total fucking vehicle for her. Not exactly one of Albert Brooks' guest star appearances. I appreciate they're never going to hit Season 4 quality again, but fuck that was bad.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Moderators
Stark Raving Dad was brilliant, and had a huge part in the success of the Simpsons becoming iconic.

Absolutely yes to your second point, but no to the first.

I wonder if future generations will argue over what Simpsons is worst; the last twelve years (and beyond), or the early seasons that looked like they were animated by someone who was falling down the stairs.

• Paid Members
Stark Raving Dad was brilliant, and had a huge part in the success of the Simpsons becoming iconic.

Absolutely yes to your second point, but no to the first.

I wonder if future generations will argue over what Simpsons is worst; the last twelve years (and beyond), or the early seasons that looked like they were animated by someone who was falling down the stairs.

Bart The General, Moaning Lisa and Krusty Gets Busted from season 1 are better than the past 12 years combined. And season 2 of Simpsons is solid to great all the way through.

• Paid Members
Just seen the Lady Gaga episode of the Simpsons.

That's what made me never want to watch the Simpsons again, I'd exhausted Bob's Burgers, American Dad, even Family Guy(and none of those shows are great) so I thought I'd watch a newish episode of the Simpsons as I hadn't seen any since the Movie (which I detested). I downloaded the Lady Gaga one at random and I couldn't make it all the way through. I'm the guy on here who always whinges everything gets shit after 3 or 4 series but the Simpsons takes getting shit over time to a new level, what used to be the funniest thing bar none has been legitimately (to me at least) unwatchable for years, I never want to see it again, it should've been euthanised more than half it's life ago.

• Moderators

I think the switch from "Dustin Hoffman plays a teacher" to "Oh My God! *insert massive band* are having tea with The Simpsons" was unforgivable. King of the Hill used celebrity guests the best. Brad Pitt as Boomhauer's less coherent brother, Johnny Depp as a sleazy yoga teacher, FRED FUCKING WILLARD as a copper. Brilliant.

• Paid Members

Also, "what job should Homer have in this episode?" and "what foreign country or different place will the family go to in this episode?" ruined it, at it's best it's a simple show where the gags do the talking, now everyone in the family has been famous separately and as a unit about 100 times, it's shit. Them leaving the town or doing something different should be a big deal, not an everyday occurrence. The Lemon of Troy is a great episode, a well written local adventure with hilarious moments, what the spirit of the show is for me. The reason I can still watch Family Guy is because it's always been shit, over the top and stupid, it can't "jump the shark" but the Simpsons used to be hilarious with real heart, I can't stand to see what it is now.