What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

There's a three-parter on the Discovery Channel of all places called Klondike that could be good. Based on the Yukon gold rush and stars Tim Roth and Richard Madden (Robb Stark). Has anyone seen this at all? Might give it a go.

Also I saw an advert for a BBC feature length drama called Turks and Caicos that caught my eye due to the superb cast- Bill Nighy, Rupert Graves, Ewen 'Spud' Bremner, Ralph Fiennes, Winona Ryder, Helena Bonham Carter and Christopher Walkern. Look at that cast! Has anyone seen this and is it worth watching?

• Paid Members

They just did a really crap re-hash of the old "having a wank" bit on Catchphrase. It was so obvious they set it up. It was a bloke chopping carrots or something in a kitchen and all the contestants (one of them David Walliams) were there doing their best "oh er missus" faces. So shite.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Moderators

Speaking of game shows, I found myself at home in the daytime in the week, and played along with Countdown. Man that show is so much easier when you're not a student (read: stoned off your tits); I didn't get a smaller word than either of the contestants once and completed every number puzzle exactly.

I've still never not a Countdown Conundrum though....

• Paid Members
Speaking of Catchphrase I was watching a repeat of it on Challenge the other day and there was some other bloke presenting it on crutches. The hell was that about?

The silly bollocks fell down the stairs on his first episode and broke his leg. They actually kept the part where he fell down the stairs in the show. And since they film the full lot in a set of tapings, he seemed to have a broken leg for months.

There he goes:

• Paid Members

So over a week ago I mentioned to ya'll that I had started Spartacus: Vengeance and wasn't sure about it and said "I'm hoping it picks up later". Well I'm 5 episodes in now and am totally on board. I just finished the episode where

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Spartacus burns down the arena

[close spoiler]

");document.close(); and practically jizzed 300 times in a row at how awesome the whole thing was.

Twitter is FUCKED OFF with the ending to How I Met Your Mother. I predicted it a couple of seasons back and am glad they went the way they did (in the least spoilery way I can be seeing as spoiler tags won't work on my phone), so I'm quite surprised with such a backlash to a fairly sitcom big ending.

Thoughts (in spoiler tags) from anyone else?

Twitter is FUCKED OFF with the ending to How I Met Your Mother. I predicted it a couple of seasons back and am glad they went the way they did (in the least spoilery way I can be seeing as spoiler tags won't work on my phone), so I'm quite surprised with such a backlash to a fairly sitcom big ending.

Thoughts (in spoiler tags) from anyone else?

I thought it was

fucking shit.

The whole point of the last two series, surely, was to legitimise Barney and Robin as a couple. This whole thing felt like they planned this ending in season 2, filmed it, then continued writing without really considering how it would end. For fuck's sake, the whole last series was panned out over a WEEKEND for a marriage that lasted less than three years? The Mother was an engaging, charming character in the few brief moments we saw her, yet her illness and death were entirely glossed over. Barney was handed an obligatory 'character' ending that, if anything, went against what they'd been building with his character in the last few years in favour of tossing him a small emotional hook. Plus, we never discover the name of his child or its mother? Or is that what How I Met Your Dad will be?

Ultimately, it comes down to whether Ted and Robin was always supposed to be the point of the story. Originally it was, sure, but I felt like they'd evolved away from that. Sadly, it's clear that they hadn't, and the actual plot device was thrown away in favour of reverting to the original plan.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I could write more shit but this spoilertastic review over at Digital Spy pretty much sums up my feelings on it. I knew that nothing could live up to the seasons-long hype, but I really didn't think I'd be this annoyed.

• Paid Members

I thought it was perfect. Since earlier this season when they started teasing the Mother might be dead, I was always hoping she wouldn't be. The way they played it out though worked terrifically I thought though, everyone's story arced to a sensible conclusion.

At the time of watching it as they were revealing stuff, I didn't like it as much, but once it ended with that last scene and the blue french horn, it all clicked for me. I think despite how some people might feel about how things went down for people, it all made sense and in hindsight it's what they've been building to forever.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Why break up Barney and Robin? They were the couple that made sense. The whole 2 series has been building for them. I thought the death of the mother was well done, but wasn't this the woman that gave Ted everything he ever wanted? Yet secretly he just always loved Robin?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Moderators

That show is terrible, you fannies

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I can't remember if I mentioned it after watching but a couple months back I rinsed Parks & Rec and it was fantastic. You were right all along, NEWM.

Edited by Chest Rockwell