What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

The Mentalist is kind of the opposite. There's intermittent continuity throughout but because there's so much of it I can't help but forget who's who and when people come back and you're meant to remember them I just sit there clueless.

• Paid Members
I think 8 is the magic number for an amount of episodes in a series. The second half of Oz extended season 4 was terrible and that's my favourite programme ever.

6-8 is a great amount. Have the Americans ever done that for a long running series (outside of the short run first seasons like Breaking Bad, Walking Dead etc)

You know, I can't actually think of one. I thought the Killing was only 7 or 8 eps, but I was wrong there. Entourage varied from 8 to 12 eps per season if I'm not mistaken, but other than that, I'm out.

• Paid Members

For more on why I hate ITV please see the programme they added to the schedule just this morning that's going out at the moment "Seven Days in Boston." It's essentially a retrospective of the Boston news story. The story that happened last week. I don't know why this was needed.

• Paid Members

On the same subject (ITV is shit), those that said Broadchurch is good, are you sure? I haven't seen it yet so can't judge myself, but the fact that my Facebook feed is full of daft female twots banging on about it when they usually do the same for Celebrity Juice and TOWIE tells me a different story.

• Moderators

Watched the first series of Veep over the last couple days and really enjoyed it.

Julia Louis Dreyfus is great, so it's nice to see her in a leading role that doesn't suck (I didn't give that other sitcom she had much of a chance to be honest, but it seemed pretty lame). The rest of the supporting cast is very good, too. Particularly enjoy Gary and Mike.

I will say, though, that I have never seen The Thick of It so I can't compare it to that.

Finished off Last Resort yesterday. A US nuclear sub gets an order to fire on Pakistan. The Captain is suspicious about the order, and doesnt do it, at which point the US try to destory the sub. The sub makes it to a small island, which they claim as their own and are now at war with the US. Throw in some government conspiracy, the unhappy local Mayor/drug dealer who wants them gone, lots of unhappy crew who just want to go home, and some other stuff, and you have some interesting themes for the show.

A fairly decent show, that got cancelled after 13 epiosdes. That actually turned out to be a good thing, as I dont think it had the legs to carry on for a full season, and more seasons afterwards. Everything was tied up by the finale, and 13 episodes seemed like the perfect length. The Captain (Andre Braugher) was easily the star of the show. Brilliant performance. Worth a watch if you want something short to pass some time.

On the same subject (ITV is shit), those that said Broadchurch is good, are you sure? I haven't seen it yet so can't judge myself, but the fact that my Facebook feed is full of daft female twots banging on about it when they usually do the same for Celebrity Juice and TOWIE tells me a different story.

If you're a numpty who thinks good television can only be made for a niche audience than yeah, its shit. If you're sensible and realise its easily possible to make good television for mass appeal but nobody really attempts to these days than yeah, it was pretty good.

Although I read some of the comments on The Guardian about it and saw that most people got given a strong adult drama about grief and community and weren't happy because they somehow got it in their heads that they were watching a typical murder mystery. I'm not really sure how. Broadchurch made a few mistakes (I wasn't a fan of most of the slow motion or the psychic for example), but in the end it was a more mature drama than I suspect people are going to give it credit for. Most of the complaints around the last episode seem to centre around it not ending on the reveal and instead showing the effect of it, the extra grief of it, which had clearly been the point of the series since the start. That coupled with its rather brave, admittedly sly critique of Middle England makes it deserving of credit in my eyes. It won't be considered 'cool' enough to get any though.

I watched Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares last night and really enjoyed it. I'm a fan of Ramsay and do think he is hilarious. He comes across a decent bloke but Kitchen Nightmares sort of paints a over the top picture of the bloke making him look like hero which sometimes puts me off. Other than that seeing him take the piss out food, slag the owners off, call them idiots and decorates the restaurant. It's a decent television and better than half the shit that is on these days.

Just finished the second series of the Walking Dead, so spoilers....

I really don't like to be negative but fucking hell I hate this programme. I've stuck with it because I love anything post-apocalyptic and I'll probably watch s3 because the razing of Boring Farm gave me a glimmer of hope that they might have realised that months of rural ennui makes for shit television. I'm not so bothered by continuity errors or plot holes but The Walking Dead might be the most soul-crushingly bleak programme I've ever seen. Loads of great stuff is dark as hell - but TWD is bleak because the writing is so witless that you don't give a shit about any of the characters. There's something messed up when you end up rooting for the zombie hordes to come and break up the monotony.

I'm going through them in my head now and they're all either gobshites or cannon fodder. I'm relatively sure that Hick Hershel's group of ranch-hands has a different makeup - and actors - each week but they're so boring that no-one notices. The black guy with a ghetto name and the wise-cracking Chinese guy.... come on. Even when Dale's sanctimonious judging was right, it was wet and irritating and context-inappropriate. Andrea bitches and moans and projects her own issues onto everyone and her feminist self-actualization involves making eyes at every strong male she meets. I'm amazed she hasn't managed to start an argument with a walker yet. Daryl is actually quite cool but the Noble Redneck is a tired television cliche now and they're obviously going to have his brother come back and kill him at some point. The little girl's disappearance was apparently worth half a season of hand-wringing, but she was so rarely seen before going walkabout (in the most contrived sequence ever, btw), that I was totally nonplussed at the big reveal of Zombie Girl. Who's that? Oh right, that's who they've been looking for. Never mind.

All this would be ok if it wasn't for the main protagonists being the three worst people ever. Even when I was ten, I realised walking around in a cowboy hat makes you an absolute twat. I wish harm on that child. I'm trying to portmanteau Rick and Pinocchio but it won't work.... you're made out of wood and you're shit, fuckoff. Shane was a well better leader, he wasn't constantly wracked by some insecure need to be a hero, under the guise of wanting to do the right thing. If zombies ever kick off, I want Shane by my side getting shit done, not Rick fretting about everything. I've got some male guilt about despising Lori so much because it's not her fault that tv writers script secondary female characters as nags or sluts, but she has no redeeming features whatsoever. A widow taking solace in the arms of a strong man during an apocalypse is perfectly understandable but it's not as though she was vulnerable and hurt. She was tearing off her wedding ring and flipping over to take it up the arse, face first in the grass. And when her husband comes back, she second-guesses every thought process, kvetches at every decision, and then goes to play the coquette to Shane. Her one task is to look after her son but he spends a season wandering around zombieland in his stupid fucking hat, totally under her radar. And then she tells him off for her parental negligence. Fuck her. I'm glad she's trapped in a loveless shell of a marriage. I'm glad there's a slim chance the foetal spawn inside her is already undead and will eat her from the inside out. And if the baby isn't a walker, I hope it's a boy, the ringer for Shane, and I hope he grows up to kill his stupid half-brother, his cuckolded step-father and his whore mother.

Edited by WildSybianRider

• Paid Members
Just finished the second series of the Walking Dead, so spoilers....

I really don't like to be negative but fucking hell I hate this programme. I've stuck with it because I love anything zombie-ish and I'll probably watch s3 because the razing of Boring Farm gave me a glimmer of hope that they might have realised that months of rural ennui makes for shit television. I'm not so bothered by continuity errors or plot holes but The Walking Dead might be the most soul-crushingly bleak programme I've ever seen. Loads of great stuff is dark as hell - but TWD is bleak because the writing is so witless that you don't give a shit about any of the characters. There's something messed up when you end up rooting for the zombie hordes to come and break up the monotony.

I'm going through them in my head now and they're all either gobshites or cannon fodder. I'm relatively sure that Hick Hershel's group of ranch-hands has a different makeup - and actors - each week but they're so boring that no-one notices. The black guy with a ghetto name and the wise-cracking Chinese guy.... come on. Even when Dale's sanctimonious judging was right, it was wet and irritating and context-inappropriate. Andrea bitches and moans and projects her own issues onto everyone and her feminist self-actualization involves making eyes at every strong male she meets. I'm amazed she hasn't managed to start an argument with a walker yet. Daryl is actually quite cool but the Noble Redneck is a tired television cliche now and they're obviously going to have his brother come back and kill him at some point. The little girl's disappearance was apparently worth half a season of hand-wringing, but she was so rarely seen before going walkabout (in the most contrived sequence ever, btw), that I was nonplussed at the big reveal of Zombie Girl.

All this would be ok if it wasn't for the main protagonists being the three worst people ever. Even when I was ten, I realised walking around in a cowboy hat makes you an absolute twat. I wish harm on that child. I'm trying to portmanteau Rick and Pinocchio but it won't work.... you're made out of wood and you're shit, fuckoff. Shane was a well better leader, he wasn't constantly wracked by some insecure need to be a hero, under the guise of wanting to do the right thing. If zombies ever kick off, I want Shane by my side getting shit done, not Rick fretting about everything. I've got some male guilt about despising Lori so much because it's not her fault that tv writers script secondary female characters as nags or whores, but she has no redeeming features whatsoever. A widow taking solace in the arms of a strong man during an apocalypse is perfectly understandable but it's not as though she was vulnerable and hurt. She was tearing off her wedding ring and flipping over to take it up the arse, face first in the grass. And when her husband comes back, she second-guesses every thought process, kvetches at every decision, and then goes to play the coquette to Shane. Her one task is to look after her son but he spends a season wandering around zombieland in his stupid fucking hat, totally under her radar. And then she tells him off for her parental negligence. Fuck her. I'm glad she's trapped in a loveless shell of a marriage. I'm glad there's a slim chance the foetal spawn inside her is already undead and will eat her from the inside out. And if the baby isn't a walker, I hope it's a boy, the ringer for Shane, and I hope he grows up to kill his stupid half-brother, his cuckolded step-father and his whore mother.

That's what I'm talking about!!! With you 98%. It gets worse in Season 3! Every show has to have a 'higher power' that needs taking down and a protagonist spiralling downwards...no matter what the overall premise or plot of the show is. And it really is making me fucking sick at this stage.

The only reason I watch it is in the hope I get to see Laurie Holden's bare arse (which I got half of, but I'm still holding out for total cheek) and also coz I think Norman Reedus is the fucking man.

I don't hold out much hope for the new Zombieland tv show either.

I did rather enjoy Dead Set, truth be known.

Just finished the Shield, well worth a watch if anyone is considering it. SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

wanted Ronnie to kick the balls out of Mackie at the end

Need a new show (non comedy) to watch if anyone can recommend?

Already seen Sopranos, Dexter, Breaking Bad, Lost, Prison Break, Homeland, 24, Heroes, Damages, Nip/Tuck

Not into Deadwood, Game of Thrones, Six Feet Under

Currently watching with the Mrs (very slowly): the Wire/Mad Men

going to watch 3rd season of the Walking Dead, then thinking Justified or Sons of Anarchy?