What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

I'd never seen it before and simply stumbled upon it in the middle of the night one night, but I've taken to series linking it since and watching loads of them - that being 'The Ricky Gervais show'. Taken me well by surprise, honestly some of the funniest shit I've watched in ages.

It really is great isn't it? Never been too into Rickys work so I missed the original podcasts but i'm glad i decided to sit through and episode a few weeks back, i can now see why Karl has gotten as big as he has.

• Paid Members

Yeah, same deal with me. I remember seeing it advertised forever ago and didn't understand why they bothered animating it. Now, I obviously do and although I'm sure listening to the podcasts is entertaining enough it's the combination of making it animated that makes it. Great call there.

There's loads of great material not used in the animated series in the podcasts and the XFM shows there did before the podcasts. I much prefer Karl in this form rather then the heavily edited form of A Idiot Abroad. I'd recommend listening to the XFM and Podcasts (all the XFM shows are on YouTube).

I bet if i look around i'll find someone who's packaged them all up as mp3's somewhere, now to get my mp3 player working again as they'd make great train journey listens.

Has anyone else ever gave Terriers a watch? I caught it a few months back on netflix and was surprisingly excellent for a buddy cop/detective drama, it's not often i get so caught up in the characters lives in these sort of shows but it all clicked really well especially when the sister turned up.

I can't overstate this, it's impossible; I fucking love Walton Goggins.

I've still got an episode left of season 1, but Boyd Crowder is already my favourite protagonist (I don't even know you can call him a 'bad guy' in the traditional sense) of any TV show ever.

I haven't enjoyed anything this much since The Shield and that's my all time no. 1 show.

I almost waded in with a spoiler as I didn't even notice that you were only on season 1. If you're already that excited this early- it's currently about the conclude season 4- then I'd prepare yourself for some month-long erections come season 3 and 4 (and 2). I'll refrain from too much detail but yeah Boyd is definitely one of the better characters on tv at the moment. Show's got a very Western-y, gun-slinging feel to it without ever bordering the ridiculous and Raylan is just perfect as a confident bastard with his one liners and put downs.

I've just finished Romanzo Criminale which is a really ace 70's gangster story. Although I was less interested in the politicking and manoeuvring of second season than the romantic rise to power in the first season.

Anyone watch Soutland? I'm 2 eps into season 2 and finding it quite watchable if not amazing, but may persevere as it apparently improves in later series.

• Paid Members
Six episodes into Parks & Rec on BBC4 now, and I'm really enjoying it now I've got to know the characters. Also, I may be in love with Rashida Jones.

Same here, just watched all six episodes over a couple of days and really like it. Although instead I'm a little in love with Lesley Knope. She seems like she should be annoying, but I just think she's lovely. Bacon-wrapped shrimp.

Firstly, why didn't someone tell me Kevin Eldon had a new BBC2 show and secondly, did anyone watch it?

It was awful, really awful.

It's marmite. I really enjoyed it but I can see how people would hate it. It's a little bit of Look Around You, a bit of Big Train and that sort of thing, a touch of Iannucci and the odd nod to Stewart Lee. It'll probably flop, but I shall watch the rest of series.

It's marmite. I really enjoyed it but I can see how people would hate it. It's a little bit of Look Around You, a bit of Big Train and that sort of thing, a touch of Iannucci and the odd nod to Stewart Lee. It'll probably flop, but I shall watch the rest of series.

Was the bit of "Big Train" the unfunny bits? I really enjoyed Big Train and I really like Eldon in other stuff (after all, he IS Rod Hull) but I found it a massive chore to watch. There's no way I'll be watching any more.

Pretty much, yeah. The skits were hit and miss, but the bits seemingly inside Kevin Eldon's brain I liked.

I've realised recently that I probably watch Five USA more than any other channel. Anyone else found that? They're basically the Freeview Sky Atlantic.

• Paid Members

Just finished season 1 of Spartacus.

Fucking hell! Never has a show started so shit and ended so bloody spectacular. The first 3 episodes are dog shit but after that it gradually gets better and better up till the ridiculously epic last episode. So many insane fearless moments, a true fist pumping conclusion to the seasons multiple storylines. If you're not watching this show, you need to get all over it.

I'm dreading watching the next season though because the guy who plays Spartacus totally owned the role and I can't see how anyone could take his place. A tragedy, because I'm sure the actor would have gone far.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Moderators
Just finished season 1 of Spartacus.

Fucking hell! Never has a show started so shit and ended so bloody spectacular. The first 3 episodes are dog shit but after that it gradually gets better and better up till the ridiculously epic last episode. So many insane fearless moments, a true fist pumping conclusion to the seasons multiple storylines. If you're not watching this show, you need to get all over it.

YES! I will cheerlead this show until the whole fucking world realises it belongs up there with The Wire and Breaking Bad. The best part is, it retains this quality for the whole run. There's just two episodes left now, and it's yet to drop below that amazing standard.

I'm dreading watching the next season though because the guy who plays Spartacus totally owned the role and I can't see how anyone could take his place. A tragedy, because I'm sure the actor would have gone far.

Every Spartacus fan went through the same thing, but fear not, as tragic as it was so lose Andy Whitfield, Liam McIntyre totally nails it. It takes a couple of episodes to get used to, but partially, that's because Spartacus has to evolve so much as a character once they're out of the ludus, as well it being a different guy.

Although you should be moving on to Gods of the Arena next.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
I can't overstate this, it's impossible; I fucking love Walton Goggins.

I've still got an episode left of season 1, but Boyd Crowder is already my favourite protagonist (I don't even know you can call him a 'bad guy' in the traditional sense) of any TV show ever.

I haven't enjoyed anything this much since The Shield and that's my all time no. 1 show.

I almost waded in with a spoiler as I didn't even notice that you were only on season 1. If you're already that excited this early- it's currently about the conclude season 4- then I'd prepare yourself for some month-long erections come season 3 and 4 (and 2). I'll refrain from too much detail but yeah Boyd is definitely one of the better characters on tv at the moment. Show's got a very Western-y, gun-slinging feel to it without ever bordering the ridiculous and Raylan is just perfect as a confident bastard with his one liners and put downs.

I've just finished Romanzo Criminale which is a really ace 70's gangster story. Although I was less interested in the politicking and manoeuvring of second season than the romantic rise to power in the first season.

Anyone watch Soutland? I'm 2 eps into season 2 and finding it quite watchable if not amazing, but may persevere as it apparently improves in later series.

Is Romanzo Criminale subtitled or is it English?

Also, Justified and Spartacus is on my list. They are next up after I finish Breaking Bad. I love TV.

Set those DVRs... Studio Ghibli season~!

http://www.film4.com/whats-on/studio-ghibli-2013

I have every one of the films on DVD, but have only ever watched Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke. After hearing good things about the films I really need to free up some time to watch them all.

On the topic of TV, I have just watched the latest Walking Dead. Another good episode with a good mixture of action and some character/story development. I am very interested in what direction they are going to go in with the finale of the 3rd series next week (whether they will kill anyone else off) and then what they will be doing in the 4th series.