What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

I thought it was just another run of the mill episode of Derek. As someone said in this topic, it was yet another "subtle as a sledgehammer" episode, done in possibly the laziest fashion ever (the sit down interviews). That said, now that my expectations for the show are at the right level (its an OK sitcom, nothing more), then its a fairly easy watch.

Finished off Homeland Season 2, which was very good until the last few episodes. You can tell its got the 24 influence, as Dana is almost a clone of Kim Bauer in the "annoying as fuck side story" role. I think the show is better when its doing the slower paced, character-driven stuff, and it actually gets weaker when they turn the action up. Thats why Id say the first half of the season was better than the second half.

The Inbetweeners US is decent. Nothing outstanding, but its an easy 20 minute watch, and theres enough good stuff (usually involving Jay, who is very good) to make me keep watching. All 4 are pretty good actors, too.

Then stop watching it before season 5 because it gets shit.

Really? I dont think theres been a noticable dip at all. Theres been some great episodes this season, too. There was a very cheesy and soppy one recently, but even that was very good.

I really liked the last episode of Derek, despite everything. Even despite the Coldplay song. Kerry Godliman's very, very good.

Does she play the woman who runs the care home? If so, I agree. It was a nice ending, but the show still bemuses me (the 10-minute Coldplay bombardment seemed like a regular occurrence in the episodes I've seen). Gervais's performance is terrible. Seems modeled on Timothy Spall playing that rat bloke in Harry Potter, the way he scurries about everywhere.

Yeah, it's her. She's been fantastic throughout, but in the one yesterday it really hit home for me. I find Derek the strangest part of the show because of that performance. Derek is still portrayed exactly the same as the weirdo/mong he was originally devised as, the addition of kindness and other characters hasn't made him any more subtle or realistic. Karl Pilkington has been wonderful as Dougie, perfect marrying of performer to role. I've enjoyed David Earl a lot as Kev, I can see people not liking his character at all, but I loved him as basically the exact same character in Cemetery Junction and it's more prominent in Derek. I was surprised by his more poignant stuff in the last one, too. Derek is a bit like wrestling, it requires a massive suspension of disbelief to enjoy. The music and Derek himself are the main things you have to kind of will yourself to get on board with, but if you do, there's great stuff in there.

Hamish pissing MacBeth because I can't sleep. Don't even know why. Just became a case of "I've not seen Hamish MacBeth in years". Thing is, I don't even think I liked it as a child.

I forgot his dog died in one of them. :(

Thoroughly modern Hamish MacBeth fansite.

EDIT: Ok, this is far far far far far better than I remembered. I didn't remember it being so surreal. It's definitely the best of the Sunday Stink dramas which I've seen, and I've seen Lovejoy! A weed smoking, law breaking copper who couldn't be doing with the city police so hardly arrested criminals. Ghosts, loads of mental psychics. Fuck this is fantastic. I'm taking it off The Sunday Stink list, as it shouldn't be put in a box with BallyK and Monarch of the Glen. Definitely worth a revisit. They're on youtube.

I watched the "salt" episode this morning after your glowing recommendation. I thouroghly enjoyed it. Hamish constantly kicking that guys car lights out, was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

Hamish pissing MacBeth because I can't sleep. Don't even know why. Just became a case of "I've not seen Hamish MacBeth in years". Thing is, I don't even think I liked it as a child.

I forgot his dog died in one of them. :(

Thoroughly modern Hamish MacBeth fansite.

EDIT: Ok, this is far far far far far better than I remembered. I didn't remember it being so surreal. It's definitely the best of the Sunday Stink dramas which I've seen, and I've seen Lovejoy! A weed smoking, law breaking copper who couldn't be doing with the city police so hardly arrested criminals. Ghosts, loads of mental psychics. Fuck this is fantastic. I'm taking it off The Sunday Stink list, as it shouldn't be put in a box with BallyK and Monarch of the Glen. Definitely worth a revisit. They're on youtube.

I watched the "salt" episode this morning after your glowing recommendation. I thouroghly enjoyed it. Hamish constantly kicking that guys car lights out, was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

Ah, I member that just from the description you gave! I liked Hamish Macbeth, to be honest, it was head and shoulders above other tea time TV.

I don't mind Derek at all, it is light on the comedy and heavy on the drama and I don't think I could rewatch it like The Office or Extras but it still has it's moments. I thought the Boys on Film, the Duran Duran story bit in last weeks episode was great.

Caught a couple of episodes of Monsters (1988) on the Horror channel last night. Really cool show if you're into your ridiculous, cheesy monster filled horror / sci fi type stuff. It feels somewhat inspired by the early horror / sci fi comic stories from the 50's, I feel. I liked it so much that I watched a couple more episodes on the internet today and have set tonight's Horror channel offerings to record.

chiller-monsters-tv.jpg

A still from the show's opening sequence

Some of the stuff seems so ridiculous that you'd be forgiven for thinking that it could be aimed at younger audiences.... then there'll be a really bad shagging or bikini scene. It definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea, but as I said, if you're into cheesy, bad, low budget monster flicks, these 30 minute episodes can be a short burst of delight!

• Paid Members
Quick reminder to anyone who doesn't know, Parks And Recreation starts on BBC4 tonight at 10pm. I've never seen it before, so I'll be doing my best to watch.

The first series is a tad slow so if it doesn't immediately grab you stick with it. It's an incredibly warm and funny show with some great characters.

Then stop watching it before season 5 because it gets shit.

Can't agree with this at all, without wanting to spoiler for anyone theres been some lovely and funny episodes this season and some good story progression. Really hoping for another season and it looks likely. Never seen a sitcom before where pretty much every character is likable in their own way, especially without reverting to really narrow stereotypes.

• Moderators
Anyway, I see that some plot synopses from the next season of Community have leaked and are out on the net. They look pretty great.

Oh, go on then...

Community Season 4: Leaked Internal Memo... possibly

Totally called it.

community-puppets.jpg

(what a predictably smug, wacky show)

Edited by Astro Hollywood

Totally called it.

I reckon a beloved old person dying and Kev somehow turning babyface will be the big end to the series.

Overall, I did enjoy 'Derek'. But like others have said, it doesn't have the rewatchability of The Office & Extras because the comedy moments are few & far between.

• Moderators

From everything I've heard, Derek sounds like a nightmare show for me. I'm finding it difficult to imagine something I would hate more.

I am now mid-way through Season 7 of King of the Hill, working my way through the whole lot, prompted by the Sitcom thread. I'm still amazed how much there is of this show and how little I had seen before. I always knew I liked it, but all the stuff I've seen was from the first few seasons. All the time it was still going, I had no idea it was still being made tbh.

It's still really consistent so far.. this has been a real treat. My only complaint is there's not enough Kahn - he's so good! (as is Chain Wasonasong's dad. I have no idea how you spell that name, or if he makes another appearance after the only episode I've seen him heavily featured in).

It's a fantastic portrait of that part of American society - it laughs at some of the ridiculous attitudes but without ever getting uppity and cynical. Lot of heart in this show.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Moderators

I've finished the first season of Justified now, and everyone was right, it really picks up into a great show. This Golden Age of Television era just puts the bar so high that something has to be amazing for me to stick with it, but it is, so we're cool. I'm giddy with excitement at my boy Jeremy Davies showing up soon.