What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Yeah Davies is in season 2 and is fantastic. It's about halfway through where it becomes more of a continuing storyline instead of the "criminal of the week" and it improves the show tenfold.

On a similar subject, I've started watching Spartacus. I'm only 3 episodes in but am enjoying it in a guilty pleasure way. Some of the acting is absolutely awful but there is plenty of violence and tits to keep it interesting. I've heard the first 3 episodes are the worst so I guess it can only improve. In the first episode the weird cheap rip off 300 vibe put me off but I have got used to it now.

• Moderators
On a similar subject, I've started watching Spartacus. I'm only 3 episodes in but am enjoying it in a guilty pleasure way. Some of the acting is absolutely awful but there is plenty of violence and tits to keep it interesting. I've heard the first 3 episodes are the worst so I guess it can only improve. In the first episode the weird cheap rip off 300 vibe put me off but I have got used to it now.

Oh God, yes. The first 3 are wacky trash, but Episode 4 is where everyone went "Hold on, that was actually... great?" From then on, it's up, up, up into the greatest show on television. Steepest rise in quality you'll ever see.

I love Spartacus so much.

I started watching The Following, somewhat against my will.

It's actually pretty great.

Relentlessly miserable, shockingly violent without pastiche or big set-ups with great central performances. Pleasantly surprised.

Also, I can't go back into the Breaking Bad thread so ill stick my thoughts here. I maintain that season 1 was too narrow in scope an a bit dry, but the end of season 1 and then season 2 were just fantastic. Tuko is the man.

Thought the end of season 2 was a bit of a cop out but not enough to stop me being chomping at the bit to get season 3 going.

Anyone watch Justified? I felt like I needed a new show to get into, so I've started this from the beginning. Three episodes in and it's alright, but I'm not sold yet. It feels more like a regular network show than the kind of Breaking Bad-level grit I require out of my TV. Does it pick up?

Stick with it. It feels like your average cop show for the first half of the season but really picks up in the second half. I've just finished the second season and it's bloody epic stuff. They also hire tons of great character actors to guest star so it's always good fun.

Nice one. It still feels a bit 'Crime o' the Week for a mass audience' at the moment, like Murder She Wrote or something, but still fun, so I'm looking forwards to it kicking into high gear.

Plus I know Jeremy Davies comes into it at some point :love:

It's a grower. The first half of the first series, I think they did try the Monster Of The Week approach, but as everyone says, from then on it gets much better. Raylan is a great character, and obviously Walton Goggins is a star. I'd give it 4 potatoes out of 5.

• Paid Members
Anyone watch Justified? I felt like I needed a new show to get into, so I've started this from the beginning. Three episodes in and it's alright, but I'm not sold yet. It feels more like a regular network show than the kind of Breaking Bad-level grit I require out of my TV. Does it pick up?

Stick with it. It feels like your average cop show for the first half of the season but really picks up in the second half. I've just finished the second season and it's bloody epic stuff. They also hire tons of great character actors to guest star so it's always good fun.

Nice one. It still feels a bit 'Crime o' the Week for a mass audience' at the moment, like Murder She Wrote or something, but still fun, so I'm looking forwards to it kicking into high gear.

Plus I know Jeremy Davies comes into it at some point :love:

It's a grower. The first half of the first series, I think they did try the Monster Of The Week approach, but as everyone says, from then on it gets much better. Raylan is a great character, and obviously Walton Goggins is a star. I'd give it 4 potatoes out of 5.

I'm obsessed with this show. It really does pick up and the end of season 2 is cracking. I'm watching the latest series online where the body count is getting sillier by the episode.

I know who won the Apprentice! Ha! What an awesome outcome. I just downloaded the first two episodes of Martina Coles "The Take" also. Time to start educating the Aussies on raw british drama.

Also I have introduced the UK shameless to as many people out here as I can (the US version is the only one that shows here), and have received all positive feedback. I love the show myself. I bought all the DVDs but now cant find any links to download the series 7 or 8. Anyways no bother I'll just go and buy them.

Other things I have been heavily into the past few months are Dexter, Greys anatomy and Community. Can anyone recommend something from UK TV that I Should get? We really don't get much here!

Watched the 1st episode of Broadchurch the other day, got quite a recognizable cast of British actors. If you like crime drama, then you may like it, not sure if it's going to be anything new or unique but it is nicely shot tho.

This dystopian thing that's about to start on Sky 1, Revolution... any whisperings as to if it's going to be any good? Looks like my kind of thing.

• Awards Moderator
This dystopian thing that's about to start on Sky 1, Revolution... any whisperings as to if it's going to be any good? Looks like my kind of thing.

The only thing I've read about it is this Cracked article, which doesn't paint it in a brilliant light - it's called 'The 10 Dumbest Things on TV this Season' and they're all about Revolution... (EDIT: apart from one that's about American football)

... on the other hand, the ads I've seen for it make it look quite promising. I may give it a chance like I did with Flash Forward and Terra Nova, then if it doesn't grab give up after about four episodes, like with Flash Forward and Terra Nova.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

They need to do one for The Following, though 10 wouldn't be nearly enough.

Anyone keeping up with Justified? It might be my favourite show on TV right now. I'm sure I've mentioned before that I'm basically gay for Timothy Olyphant but it's an absolute joy to see an actor take such a hold on their character that you believe every single thing he does, from actions to dialogue to body language. As is usual with the show, there have been one or two place-setting episodes where the narrative stalls, but I never seem to mind those like I do with some other programmes because there are so many tiny little moments that asks you to read between the lines and draw your own conclusions. The writing is top-notch and as it goes on I find that there are often moments of great emotion that are downplayed so spectacularly it's nothing short of astonishing.

• Moderators
Anyone keeping up with Justified? It might be my favourite show on TV right now.

As I said in this very thread a couple of days ago, I've just started this from the beginning. I wasn't really feeling it at first, because it was very 'crime of the week', but now this guy's here...

m-c-gainey-mustachejpg.jpg

BUSINESS IS PICKING UP