What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Awards Moderator

I need a bit of motivation to watch the end of S1 of Homeland. I've watched 8 episodes and whilst I think it's good, I don't find it anywhere near as addictive as the hype had suggested. To be fair, I thought the same of the first series of Breaking Bad and then that went up about twenty gears and became ridiculously good. Guess I'd better stick with it and get in to the second series.

• Paid Members

I've been watching Arrow on Sky. I like it, the action and storylines are quite easy to get sucked into. Refreshingly the Mrs likes it too, making that a grand total of FOUR things we can watch together including football and wrestling. ...And X-Factor. :closedeyes:

Your missus watches football and wrestling? You lucky shite. Arrow is something me and the missus can watch, too, also rare for us. Hatfields & McCoys is another, which is pretty good. Anyone been watching this?

• Paid Members

So, yesterday I got Billington'd and had my sky cut off. Will be getting it activated on Friday when I have been paid but untill then, I could do with some recommendations for a series to watch on Netflix, If you chaps could be so kind.

I'm currently in the middle of watching Breaking Bad but can't seem to get into a flow of watching numerous episodes back to back due to quite a few of the episodes that don't have alot going on. Although it is great when stuff is happening, yo.

I've watched Sons of Anarchy (Brilliant), Lost, Prison Break, Misfits, most of the comedies and alot of the documentaries.

• Paid Members
Your missus watches football and wrestling? You lucky shite. Arrow is something me and the missus can watch, too, also rare for us.

Admittedly on the night we met, those were two plus points where I thought "I could be onto something here." That, and it was actually valentines night :)....And we were both pissed, and she's got smashing jugs and at the time, a sexy broken English accent.

Neither stuff we normally watch has tickled the other's fancy, so we say down and went through the Sky box determined to find something we could effectively call our own an enjoy. We caught the Arrow pilot and although we didn't enjoy the pilot as much as we thought we might, it was still good enough for us to give it a whirl. Thankfully the three episodes since have been cracking.

• Paid Members

Just get the US one anyway. It's far superior for films and TV.

On the UK one, I wouldn't look any further than Twin Peaks. In terms of something more modern, no idea!

• Paid Members
I need a bit of motivation to watch the end of S1 of Homeland. I've watched 8 episodes and whilst I think it's good, I don't find it anywhere near as addictive as the hype had suggested. To be fair, I thought the same of the first series of Breaking Bad and then that went up about twenty gears and became ridiculously good. Guess I'd better stick with it and get in to the second series.

Claire Danes' acting can make it that way, at times. It's definitely worth trooping on though.

I'm having a similar problem with the second season of Boardwalk Empire. I quite enjoyed the first season, but I'm finding it a bit of a chore sitting through the first part of the second season. Doesn't help that every episode is nearly an hour long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The new episode of Peep Show was absolutely ace - but Isy Suttie is a terrible, terrible actress. She seems to have somehow gotten worse. Johnson's eulogy was tremendous, though.

The alien Pee Wee Herman girl in Fresh Meat is worse, but based on some dialogue in last night's episode, her weird shitness is at least partly intentional. Quite a weird, anticlimatic ending to the series. Highlight was Josie's dancing when Oregon was all sad.

I've gone off Sons of Anarchy a bit. The plot seems unnecessarily convoluted. Still great though, just some of the shine's gone compared to when I blasted through the first four seasons.

US Inbetweeners is alright, but I was expecting more after some of the really positive comments on here.

Might watch the first episode of The Mindy Project.

• Moderators

So I've been watching Shameless for the first time recently and really enjoying it, but have a few questions -

How can they afford to give away all that for free on 4od? Seems a bit nuts.

I'm two seasons in. Does it maintain quality for the whole run more or less? Or does it fall off massively at some point?

What's the US version like - any good? Really can't imagine it; it's a very British show.