UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

When googling an ECW match, I found a topic on explosion matches which said that the original plans for Funk and Foley at Wrestlemania XIV was to have a rematch of their infamous No Rope, Barbed Wire, Exploding Barbed Wire Boards, Exploding Ring Time Bomb match from the KOTDM which would be broadcast as a live satellite feed from Funk's ranch, but after the extra publicity of Tyson, they dropped it. Can anyone shed some light on this or is it shite?

I knew that Vince was a big fan of both Mankind and the Dude, but I felt personally that Cactus Jack could draw the most interest and money. With a return of Cactus Jack in mind, I proposed a somewhat bizarre series of matches with my old friend and nemesis Terry Funk, which would culminate in a coup de grace of barbarity at WrestleMania.

I had been talking with Victor Quinones of my IWA Japan past, and he asked if I thought death matches would ever go over in the States. Now it

I think over the year's most have claimed fame to using entrance music first. The ones which I seem to recall most though are The Freebirds and JYD in the modern era.

I could swear I read somewhere it was Gorgeous George (the old time wrestler of course, not Macho's shag circa '99). Can't remember where I heard/read that though so could be a load of bollocks.

• Paid Members
Does the wrestling observer come in Kindle format these days?

Nope. However you can subscribe to it online only. If you use Google Chrome or Firefox there's a plug-in/extension called

Send to Kindle which means that on any web page you just click a button and it, well, sends it to your Kindle. I use it for the Observer and it works great other than the occasional table doesn't look too pretty.

• Paid Members
I could swear I read somewhere it was Gorgeous George (the old time wrestler of course, not Macho's shag circa '99). Can't remember where I heard/read that though so could be a load of bollocks.

No, it's true. He came to the ring to the tune of Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance.

I think over the year's most have claimed fame to using entrance music first. The ones which I seem to recall most though are The Freebirds and JYD in the modern era.

Ah yes, they sometimes came out to the greatest song ever written, back in the World Class days.

No, it's true. He came to the ring to the tune of Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance.

Yeah, he did. Also from the 50s era The Fabulous Kangaroos used Waltzing Matilda. Those must have been some of the earliest wrestler-specific entrance themes.

As for where you saw it mentioned it could well have been in the old Apter mags, PowerSlam or on here. Since George always seems to be given credit for it whenever the question has been asked before.

I'm not convinced George was the first, because you would think someone would have tried it before then but he may have been the first "big name" to use it.

So the answer to the hitman's original question is that I doubt anyone actually knows for certain.

Hogan's claims seem to be based on him having said that on an episode of one of the Saturday morning kids shows he got interviewed over here on back in early 90s. May have been Motormouth. A lot of people saw that at the height of the British boom period and it's stuck and I've heard people repeat it not only on here but in real life both at the time and years later when I was at uni.

Like everything else Hogan says, take it with a couple of buckets of salt. FWIW, he wasn't even the first guy to use an entrance theme in the WWF since- Sgt Slaughter already used the Marines' Hymn back in the 70s.

From what I've seen, wrestlers in the 1970s Japanese and British scenes walked out to music but in the case of sticking on a classical track in the background rather than it being someone's specific theme tune that was part of the wrestler's gimmick. I know Big Daddy's We Shall Not Be Moved was.

Not sure about 70s Mexico but one of the lucha fans might know?

From the USA in that late 70s-early 81 period, in addition to the ones mentioned Jerry Lawler, Roddy Piper, Jimmy Valiant, (Bad, Bad) Leroy Brown and one or two others all had music early on. After that lots of people did so they did popularise it.

Edited by TheBigBoot

• Moderators

I asked this in the news thread when Rob Conway's NWA title win was posted but didn't get an answer so I'll ask again here -

What is the NWA these days? Where is that title still contested? How many affiliates of / promotions under the banner of the NWA are there?

• Paid Members
What is the NWA these days? Where is that title still contested? How many affiliates of / promotions under the banner of the NWA are there?

The NWA is what it's fairly always been, a governing body of smaller independent promotions, who recognition the NWA champions as the real world champions. The World title matches are contested within the affiliate promotions accordingly.

It's still going strong, (and has just had a change in management IIRC). The number of affiliates has also just changed because of this, but they still have a fair few in the US, as well as the odd few around the world (We have Hammerlock for the UK). I believe they are about to start some sort of big story with NJPW.

They currently have a site under nwawrestling.org although are moving to nwaringside.com fairly soon. They have links to Twitter/Facebook accordinly

Hope that helps somewhat. :thumbsup:

• Moderators
It's still going strong

Oh, come on. It's not been "going strong" for about 25 years! But to answer Chest, I think the main places in the US these days are NWA Hollywood and there's Vegas too, I think.