UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Quick question with the old Showdown at Shea shows. Were they filmed before/ after a baseball game? I only ask as on watching them the crowd is in the stands but the ring is way out in the field with nothing in between. It must of been very perculiar being there with such a gap for no reasons

I

• Paid Members

On the subject of the Summerslam '91 main event... wasn't the Hogan-Slaughter/Iraq angle dead and buried or of little interest to most considering real world events by the summer? If you wanted to team up Hogan and Warrior for Summerslam and continue the Warrior-Undertaker feud and add the intrigue of Sid...wouldn't Hogan and Warrior vs Jake and Undertaker with Sid as ref been a much tastier option?

On the subject of the Summerslam '91 main event... wasn't the Hogan-Slaughter/Iraq angle dead and buried or of little interest to most considering real world events by the summer? If you wanted to team up Hogan and Warrior for Summerslam and continue the Warrior-Undertaker feud and add the intrigue of Sid...wouldn't Hogan and Warrior vs Jake and Undertaker with Sid as ref been a much tastier option?

Probably but I think they wanted Savage back wrestling as soon as possible and with him finally getting married they needed a new storyline for him.

• Paid Members

Probably but I think they wanted Savage back wrestling as soon as possible and with him finally getting married they needed a new storyline for him.

They could still have ran that angle. The problem with that tag match was that Jake was going in to a top line feud so they wouldn't want him to lose and Undertaker was the next World Champion so they wouldn't have jobbed him out either. The answer is obvious though, Taker, Jake and Slaughter vs. Hogan and Warrior in a handicap match with Slaughter taking the fall.

Speaking of that time period, besides money, why did they have the Tuesday in Texas PPV less than a week after Survivor Series? Even today the WWE would'nt risk that and that was the era of 4 Pay Per Views a year, so did a TV contract fall through or something?

Yeah, that would have been the logical one for me, although they would have had to push forward the Jake turn because I think it was only shown in the week prior to Summerslam. I guess maybe going back to Ians comments, the bigger story was Sid, and it may have suited them to have the focus less on the match itself and the (weak) opponents, and more on what side Sid's going to be on. Truth is, Hogan/Warrior vs the 3 Iraqis should be a squash, even one of them v all 3 should have been no bother. But both of them vs the 3 Iraqis and possibly Sid would've been a different proposition altogether.

You could argue that Warrior/Hogan vs Taker/Jake would have been new, fresh, and would've had enough interesting things going on in the match itself without the added story of Sid as ref. Personally i don't think the main event of the 2nd biggest show on the calendar is the place to do what they did, but then i haven't made a dime out of booking wrestling shows. I could actually think of about a dozen different main event scenarios that i believe would have made it a better event. And lets be honest, a strong main event in that card would have thrust it into 'greatest show ever' territory because the undercard was nearly flawless (and yet, still could have been stronger were it not for the misfortune of Shawn Michaels being injured). Another option would have been what they were doing on the house shows leading up to Summerslam - running the handicap match, but with the team of Slaughter, Undertaker and Mustafa.

You're right, the Iraqi thing had run it's course by that time, that's why it raised eyebrows because even the top guy in that group, Slaughter, was insignificant and had lost all his momentum by that point. There's a reason why a month later he'd be begging to team with Hacksaw and would be feuding with the Beverlies and Nasty Boys.

• Paid Members

They could still have ran that angle. The problem with that tag match was that Jake was going in to a top line feud so they wouldn't want him to lose and Undertaker was the next World Champion so they wouldn't have jobbed him out either. The answer is obvious though, Taker, Jake and Slaughter vs. Hogan and Warrior in a handicap match with Slaughter taking the fall.

Or... have it as the tag match...do the Sid fast count, Jake and Undertaker being pissed afterwards and attacking with weapons and have Savage run in for the save + vengeance and Jake and Undertaker leaving being sorely outnumbered with the other four in the ring for the happy ending. Wouldn't even need the Savage run in to be honest, which might have been a bit silly considering and just do it with the Sid fast count. Keeps Jake and 'Taker basically protected and cements them as the top heels and Jake as the top heel going into his next program.

Speaking of that time period, besides money, why did they have the Tuesday in Texas PPV less than a week after Survivor Series? Even today the WWE would'nt risk that and that was the era of 4 Pay Per Views a year, so did a TV contract fall through or something?

Im not sure why it was so soon, but it was a test to see if midweek PPV's would work. I assume it was so close as they didnt have the TV structure then like they did with the debut of RAW to promote and extra PPV if it was booked in at such short notice so advertise it to the Survivor Series Audience was an easy way to plug. Im really just guessing though

• Paid Members

Im not sure why it was so soon, but it was a test to see if midweek PPV's would work. I assume it was so close as they didnt have the TV structure then like they did with the debut of RAW to promote and extra PPV if it was booked in at such short notice so advertise it to the Survivor Series Audience was an easy way to plug. Im really just guessing though

It wasn't so much it being midweek (shows were all over the place in those days), but more a test to see if having one show build-up a rematch on a show very soon after could pay off. It didn't.

I think so, Eddie. I downloaded what I thought was a DVD rip of the full thing, but turned out to be the USA broadcast. I never bothered downloading it again, but people have been talking about the full speeches so it is out there on the dirty seas.

I think so, Eddie. I downloaded what I thought was a DVD rip of the full thing, but turned out to be the USA broadcast. I never bothered downloading it again, but people have been talking about the full speeches so it is out there on the dirty seas.

Thanks man. I've been pm'd a magical solution, so all is well with the world again.

I was pissed off at the time time that neither Sunny nor Bullet Bob were on the Tv broadcast. You'd think with all the Attitude Era stuff around Mania they'd have put Sunny and the Road Dogg on TV!?

We got Drew Carey though, so I guess that's OK. :angry: