UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

From the summer of 1998 or so. I think it started at 9pm on Saturdays, then moved into the WCW HELL BLOCK to 11:30 after Nitro on a Friday.

Ive just consulted my big wrestling book of all the tapes I recorded at it seems the first show I recorded was 8th October 1998. Whether that date means US date or UK date ive no idea

8th October 1998 was a Thursday so I'd assume it's US air date

Why were WCW ppv's not shown in the UK? I know they were on DSF if you searched etc but it seems strange that TNT or any channel never showed them at all despite how huge wrestling was at the time, you'd think any channel would want

Admiteldy, Thunder went outside of the "peak hours"

Was "Thunder" on TNT? I don't recall it. Was it shown from the beginning? Cheers!

It was, here's a quote from the Observer about it...

"In the United Kingdom, they are now airing Thunder right after Nitro on Friday Nights. It's about a four-and-a-half hour nightly block of WCW which is said at this point to be pure torture" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 05, 1998

Yep, probably their thinking was, "Everyone's out on a Friday Night, lets stick the wrestling on". I imagine TNT/Cartoon network having about six staff, including teletext, and all the marketing/PR budget went into stuff for the cartoons.

I don't think I ever saw any WCW wrestlers doing UK on Nitro promos in the same way that TNA and WWE do. Hall and Nash only did some tour promo stuff for channel 5 I think.

Edited by Doctor Whos Next

• Paid Members

They did move WCW briefly to Thursdays on TNT for a period in 2000, I remember. It didn't last long, but around WrestleMania time when WWF had their CDs, t-shirts, videos and books in the top 10 in HMV and WHSmiths in every shop over here, Nitro was forced to move to Thursday. I can't imagine how battered they were getting on Fridays in 2000. WWF blew up in this country. It was on Channel 4, they were doing PPVs over here, the Rock was all over the place, everyone at school loved it, I went to my work experience in a DX shirt, Trevor McDonald was doing "Ban this sick filth" style news bits about it. The WWF was super strong.

2000 was insane if you think about it. Its hard to even get your head around now, but there was a lad around our way who wore a Rikishi t-shirt? Rikishi was over enough to have lads knocking about rough areas of Sunderland wearing "A Piece of the Kish" on his shirt. What a huge period of business they were having over here. It would seem impossible to ever get that big again.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

They did move WCW briefly to Thursdays for a period in 2000, I remember. It didn't last long, but around WrestleMania time when WWF had their CDs, t-shirts, videos and books in the top 10 in HMV and WHSmiths in every shop over here, Nitro was forced to move to Thursday. I can't imagine how battered they were getting on Fridays in 2000.

They would have been getting destroyed in the ratings for far longer than that. Even by mid-1999 a huge number of people would have switched to Sky Digital and lost access to TNT. I know I had to convince my family to keep the old Analogue dish and box when we switched to Digital purely so I didn't lose access to Nitro. Kept it right up until TNT shut down and WCW moved to Bravo.

WorldWide also had a really fun game called "Guess who's the World champion?" where the continuity announcers would say that one person was the champ, only for the commentators to then say someone else was the World champion, then they would show a clip from Thunder where another person was champion before looking online and finding out that the title had actually been vacated three weeks ago.

When you're 11 years old, it was a really fun pastime.

Edited by Forrest

• Paid Members

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-wKV_NLdS...dit?usp=sharing. Ctrl+S to download once the page has loaded (Google will try to create a preview, but it may be wrong.)

That should be the one. If I remember rightly, you need to select and copy the new issue text from the website, then go into this word document, select all (CTRL+A) then paste (CTRL+V) to replace the text with the new issue. Should be formatted as you paste it, but if necessary, switch it all to 8 point Times New Roman.

Edited by JNLister