UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members
What was the name of the American wrestling magazine which was available over here in the mid nineties that was very similar to Superstars of Wrestling/Powerslam in that it was glossy with colour pictures and interesting articles. For some reason I remember they seemed to slip in the word bombastic in each issue.

Thanks

Shuggy

Pro Wrestling Illustrated?

Pro Wrestling Illustrated?

No mate, it was (again from memory of reading it being discussed in a couple of British fanzines at the time) similar to SOW/PS in that it was just smart enough to appeal to appeal to fanzine readers or those who had the internet at that time. Fin Martin made a one sentence statement either in an editorial or a What's Going Down section saying how his magazine wasn't related in any way to another publication which I am sure was in reference to the similarities between the magazines leading to some people making an incorrect assumption.

Shuggy

Probably quite common knowledge, but was the Wrestlemania 13 card always looking like it ended up? I know it was meant to be Bret vs. HBK, so where did Austin fit in as the Rumble winner?

I don't think anyone's really sure, as I can remember trying to find out WM13 plans a while ago too without much luck..

It looked like Sid/Taker was always the idea too, so it wouldn't have been against either of those two.

In late 96, the tentative plan was probably for Austin/Pillman but obviously he took longer to come back than initially thought.

Vader/Mick/DBS/Owen were all sorta doing their own thing (although that tag match should've been split into two singles matches!). Ahmed was still occupied by the Nation, and Goldust by HHH, so it's hard to see where Austin came into it, as you'd imagine he'd definitely be booked after winning the rumble.

I'd guess his most likely opponent may actually have been The Rock for the IC title as that Sultan nonsense was pretty hastily put together.

This might sound a bit of a strange question as its to do will merchandise in general. Over the years ive been buying DVDs from different traders of these promotions WWE, ECW, Georgia, Mid-Atlantic, Mid-South/UWF, WCW, AWA, Florida, Central States, Continental, Memphis, Portland, Pro Wrest USA, St Louis, SMW, SouthWest, Stampede, WCCW, Pro Wrestling This Week, TNA, NJPW, AJPW, Shoots, ROH, AAA, CMLL.

Are there any other promotions worth trying to get hold of?

global/fmw

:thumbsup: Sounds like a really impressive collection. Well, apart from TNA and ROH. ;)

I'll second those and say from Japan SWS, WAR, UWFi and MPW would be the obvious ones. Such a fun cast of characters, foreign and native, hanging around Japan in the 90s.

I'm relatively clueless on current Japan, but I would recommend early to mid 2000s NOAH since you like AJPW. Wasn't a big fan of what I saw from the first year or so but after that it got really good for a few years at least in terms of the big matches.

In terms of older lucha what I've seen of UWA is really impressive so that might be worth checking out. Someone else will know how much footage is/isn't available.

I'm guessing you aren't a Joshi fan based on the above, what about British wrestling? From the UK World of Sport and Reslo had plenty of great matches.

And now a question of my own: what is Central States like? Always ignored it because it sounded pretty poor but I may be misjudging it. Anything worth checking out?

[Haven't actually seen much Portland or Stampede either (despite their probably been more footage of those two than a lot of others) but that's more because I haven't gotten round to them yet than anything bad. I will do eventually though: I'm always seeing 'new' old stuff. Actually only got into SouthWest within the last year and I have seen has been great]

This might sound a bit of a strange question as its to do will merchandise in general. Over the years ive been buying DVDs from different traders of these promotions WWE, ECW, Georgia, Mid-Atlantic, Mid-South/UWF, WCW, AWA, Florida, Central States, Continental, Memphis, Portland, Pro Wrest USA, St Louis, SMW, SouthWest, Stampede, WCCW, Pro Wrestling This Week, TNA, NJPW, AJPW, Shoots, ROH, AAA, CMLL.

Are there any other promotions worth trying to get hold of?

global/fmw

:thumbsup: Sounds like a really impressive collection. Well, apart from TNA and ROH. ;)

I'll second those and say from Japan SWS, WAR, UWFi and MPW would be the obvious ones. Such a fun cast of characters, foreign and native, hanging around Japan in the 90s.

I'm relatively clueless on current Japan, but I would recommend early to mid 2000s NOAH since you like AJPW. Wasn't a big fan of what I saw from the first year or so but after that it got really good for a few years at least in terms of the big matches.

In terms of older lucha what I've seen of UWA is really impressive so that might be worth checking out. Someone else will know how much footage is/isn't available.

I'm guessing you aren't a Joshi fan based on the above, what about British wrestling? From the UK World of Sport and Reslo had plenty of great matches.

And now a question of my own: what is Central States like? Always ignored it because it sounded pretty poor but I may be misjudging it. Anything worth checking out?

[Haven't actually seen much Portland or Stampede either (despite their probably been more footage of those two than a lot of others) but that's more because I haven't gotten round to them yet than anything bad. I will do eventually though: I'm always seeing 'new' old stuff. Actually only got into SouthWest within the last year and I have seen has been great]

A Joshi fan? Wasent sure what you meant at first Japanese women. Oh yeah absolutely love anything with those gals in, Got a few AJW and GAEA was it that aired on the wrestling channel? What got me interested was 1995 Survivor Series Madusa & Kong's team of these amazing women and when I heard about the Blayze/Nakano title change at the Egg Dome I so wanted to see it. Took me about 15 years before I got to see the event and was hooked. Ive no idea if there are any other promotions in japan so maybe someone else could answer that.

Yeah I had been recording the stuff Movies For Men had aired from the Big Daddy era. Wish there was more about as loved it from the ITV days. Ill be honest here. The only reason I got in Central States was because one of the traders had it listed under a Ric Flair vs Bruiser Brody match so cant really judge on the promotion yet until ive looked into it properly. Im still cataloging what I got in last year so when I got everything sorted then I can see what its like.

In regards to Lucha & Japan stuff Ive not seen too much about on peoples lists. I got the 80s AJPW & NJPW, the early 90s NJPW thanks to McGinty but I think they are classic shows, NOAH from TWC. Lucha well AAA/CMLL from the late 2000s but really need to get my hands on some of the early days when Rey Mysterio & Eddie Guerrero were there. I know Galavision in the UK used to air it back in 1994 but ive no idea what time period they did.

Regarding the whole Stone Cold run over angle they did, what was the original plans for Survivor Series 1999? Was Steve Austin supposed to take the belt then or would he have won the Rumble and taken the belt off Hunter at Wrestlemania in a singles match?

When is best of nitro vol 2 out on dvd in the UK?

Can't see it on wwedvd.co.uk website and don't want to chance an american copy that might not play on my player.

29th April in stores, probably earlier on wwedvd.co.uk. Pre orders should be online in a couple of weeks I should imagine