UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

What is the closest date prior to any Wrestlemania that either of the top two titles have changed hands?

Road Dogg won the Intercontinental Title after beating Val Venis on the 19th March 1999.

Wrestlemania 15's Intercontinental Championship match was supposed to be a 4-Way with Billy Gunn, Ken Shamrock, Goldust and Val Venis. Road Dogg ended up taking Billy Gunn's place in that elimination match. Wrestlemania 15 was held on the 28th March 1999.

Are those dates right? Road Dogg won it on a Friday?

I always remember that match for some reason, with Road Dogg winning with a really ugly ddt. It wasn't even something Road Dogg ever used, but Val used to work the spot into every match of his for that signature headstand bump that he did.

I always felt the IC belt really started to become devalued around that time when it was switching between those two, Godfather and Goldust in crap 5 minute nothing matches. It felt like it there was a new champ every couple of weeks, and Jarrett must've won the thing 3 or 4 times that spring/summer alone.

Just looking at a Wrestling Observer from Nov 92 and the following was in the "Here and There" section:

Kevin Corley, 46, a 6-3, 280 pound British wrestler died after collapsing in the ring recently in a Battle

Royal in Lewisham, South London.

Does anyone have any info on this? I have never heard the name before.

Thanks

I was thinking about that Road Dogg win, and I couldn't think of any others for Mania. But I did then remember HBK & Diesel doing over the Headshrinkers the night before Summerslam 94, which made a right cunt of the card when the opener had absolutely shit all on the line and the champs otherwise engaged in the IC match. That took me to Edge/Jarrett from whenever that was in 99, but obviously that was just for a little hotshot deal and had no lingering effect. Can anybody think of any more of these, especially ones that really buggered stuff up, like the Summerslam one?

• Paid Members
Just looking at a Wrestling Observer from Nov 92 and the following was in the "Here and There" section:

Kevin Corley, 46, a 6-3, 280 pound British wrestler died after collapsing in the ring recently in a Battle

Had a quick Google look and he seemed to grapple under a mask as the "Black Baron".

Had a quick Google look and he seemed to grapple under a mask as the "Black Baron".

Thanks, I had a look on Google before posting and couldnt find anything. Thanks again.

I was thinking about that Road Dogg win, and I couldn't think of any others for Mania. But I did then remember HBK & Diesel doing over the Headshrinkers the night before Summerslam 94, which made a right cunt of the card when the opener had absolutely shit all on the line and the champs otherwise engaged in the IC match. That took me to Edge/Jarrett from whenever that was in 99, but obviously that was just for a little hotshot deal and had no lingering effect. Can anybody think of any more of these, especially ones that really buggered stuff up, like the Summerslam one?

In 2005 they had a scheduled MNM Vs Mexicools tag team title match for Armageddon. At the last minute Rey and Batista took the tag titles to add more pep to there match against Kane and Big Show (The World Tag team champs). They still had the MNM Mexicool match but it had fuck all meaning.

Interestingly if you read Edge's biography it explains that the Toronto deal was a bit of a mistake it was at a house show in the sky dome. there was either a mis count or it was meant to be a dusty finish which didnt get pulled off properly and left edge with the IC title. hence why he dropped it straight back to jarret at the PPV which was a day or two later.

• Paid Members

That's not quite the story Edge tells. The deal was that with Edge as substitute they decided he should win, but didn't want to do the normal countout/DQ they'd do with a champion. Instead they decided he'd win by pinfall but they'd announce after the match that it wasn't for the title because of the substitution.

After the match ended Jack Lanza, who was the road agent, saw the size of the pop, checked that Jarrett was winning on the PPV, and told the ref to announce Edge as new champion anyway, which obviously came as a pleasant surprise for Edge.

• Paid Members

Can anybody find me that video of Rob Feinstein that somebody over at the DVDVR board did about him? I believe the first parts of the video feature "Wild Boys" by Duran Duran, which I can never look at the same after the RF video, then it kicks into the "I know what boys like!" bit, then it says "Bob Barnett has HONOUR" on the screen, or something like that. Thanks a lot! It would make my bloody night.

IIRC Triple H Vs The Rock at In Your House:Fully Loaded '98 was to have been a best 2 out of 3 falls match for both the Intercontinental and European titles only for Triple H to lose the European title to D'Lo Brown on Raw Is War the week of the PPV.D'Lo Vs X-Pac at the event then became a European title match.

• Paid Members

On NEWM's post, one I remember was the Brain Busters vs Hart Foundation match at Summerslam '89.

Arn and Tully had won the titles from Demolition not long before but the belts still weren't on the line at SS for some reason. Jesse The Body covered it on commentary by saying the match was signed before the title change so it wasn't in the contract when the match was made or some bollocks. Really though, the Busters won anyway so I don't know why they didn't just make it a title match.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
At what time period would you say TNA stopped being an "indy"? When they got a national TV deal?

I would never have really classed them as an indy due to being on PPV weekly and having a star studded roster.