UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

Watched a bit of WWE Vintage Collection last night (Good to hear Steamboat's nineties WCW music again!) and I saw that they are showing the footage with two big, black bars down the side of the screen. What's the deal with that? Thanks.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The ending of that Duggan - Austin match was lame. A crappy backdrop, then an even crappier splash?!?! WTF.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
Watched a bit of WWE Vintage Collection last night (Good to hear Steamboat's nineties WCW music again!) and I saw that they are showing the footage with two big, black bars down the side of the screen. What's the deal with that? Thanks.

It's broadcast in widescreen. The big, black bars are to fill in the gaps on the 4:3 footage. ESPN tend to do something similar on the HD channels.

Does anybody have the card for TNA's house show in Manchester this month?#

Thanks in adance sports fans.

that they are showing the footage with two big, black bars down the side of the screen. What's the deal with that? Thanks.

It used to piss me off when ITV4 would do this with some of the European footie. I'd rather just watch it stretched horizontally and put up with people looking marginally fatter!

• Paid Members

Its more opinions im after but didnt fancy starting a thread but anyways here goes....

How far have TNA's PPV come since Victory Road 2004?

I have just started to work my way through them currently at Against All Odds 05.

They just seems to be aload of random matches and im guessing now they have better storylines ect.

Do random people still come for 1 PPV never to be seen again or do they have a sence of stability?

And if they have improved could someone give me a rough time they started improving from the 04/05 PPV's?

Its more opinions im after but didnt fancy starting a thread but anyways here goes....

How far have TNA's PPV come since Victory Road 2004?

I have just started to work my way through them currently at Against All Odds 05.

They just seems to be aload of random matches and im guessing now they have better storylines ect.

Do random people still come for 1 PPV never to be seen again or do they have a sence of stability?

And if they have improved could someone give me a rough time they started improving from the 04/05 PPV's?

I really miss TNA from the late 2004-end of 2006 era. Their Ayslum stuff was lovably shit, but when they moved to Orlando, it was lovably ace for a couple of years. Alright in the early monthly PPV days you had random shit with guys like Savage, Credible, and any fucking randomer turning up for a match or two then disappearing. From a serious point of view though, it does pick up very soon. I seem to remember early 2005 was about AJ's chase for the world title, and then goes on with Raven and Planet Jarrett. You will love 2006, the token multi-man spot match early on, usually a hardcore match, and Jarrett title matches with a million run-ins. Guys still came in for one-off matches and appearances probably until the end of the year. Tremendous, I really miss TNA from back then, and Lockdown from that year remains my favourite PPV since WM XIX. Stick with it.

Basically it picks up quickly from early 2005, becomes very good by the end of the year, and starts turning to shit around the end of 2006, from which I don't think has ever recovered. I've not watched much TNA from 2010, but it's very different now to how it was then.

Edited by Sergio Bellend

• Paid Members

I've often wondered, what people mean when they say about a match (Usually in a review form) 'It was a good TV Macth' even if it's on a PPV. What is the defintion of a 'TV Match'?

• Paid Members
I've often wondered, what people mean when they say about a match (Usually in a review form) 'It was a good TV Macth' even if it's on a PPV. What is the defintion of a 'TV Match'?

I think it's just to put into context how good a match was, compared to how good the reviewed thought it should be if it's on PPV. IE, something you'd be happy enough to watch on Raw, but not overly chuffed about paying to see.

Free TV quality, not PPV quality, in a nutshell.

I think it's just to put into context how good a match was, compared to how good the reviewed thought it should be if it's on PPV. IE, something you'd be happy enough to watch on Raw, but not overly chuffed about paying to see.

Free TV quality, not PPV quality, in a nutshell.

TV matches are normally shorter also, so a "good TV match" might be a fun 6 minute match, but the same match would be seen as a letdown on PPV as you expect a longer, more fleshed out match when you are paying for it.

Quick couple of WCW related questions

WCW Saturday night used to be taped in a studio but later on 99-00 it seemed to be in an arena although looking at dates etc it doesnt look like it was taped pre nitro/ thunder. Did they actually run a show with just powerplant guys and jobbers essentially that people paid to go see or were they comps?

Secondly during Starrcade 98 they advertise a WCW special on QVC, now i understand this was to flog merchandise but did they also have matches and what were the shows like if anyone saw them. They did give a date time and arena so I assume it was matches and adverts for products, but anymore info would be appreciated

Quick couple of WCW related questions

WCW Saturday night used to be taped in a studio but later on 99-00 it seemed to be in an arena although looking at dates etc it doesnt look like it was taped pre nitro/ thunder. Did they actually run a show with just powerplant guys and jobbers essentially that people paid to go see or were they comps?

I attended a WCW Saturday Night taping in Toledo, Ohio in March 1999.

It was a seperate show and featured something like 40 matches mostly featuring mid-card talent.

My memory is a bit sketchy but I do remember that the main event was Chris Jericho vs Booker T.

Also, I *think* we paid to get in.

Edited by Phil Jones

• Paid Members
Secondly during Starrcade 98 they advertise a WCW special on QVC, now i understand this was to flog merchandise but did they also have matches and what were the shows like if anyone saw them. They did give a date time and arena so I assume it was matches and adverts for products, but anymore info would be appreciated

According to TheHistoryofWWE.com, this was the card for the 30th December 1998...

This was taken from the Starrcade results on that site.

Pay-per-view bouts - featured Tony Schiavone, Bobby Heenan, & Mike Tenay on commentary; included an opening announcement by Schiavone that all of the 4 Horsemen were banned from the building per order of Eric Bischoff or Bischoff would not agree to face Ric Flair later in the show as scheduled; featured a commercial for the Dec. 30 QVC special live from Philadelphia..

Here is the card for the 30th December 1998.

WCW @ Philadelphia, PA - First Union Spectrum - December 30, 1998

Perry Saturn defeated Fit Finlay

Konnan defeated Horace Hogan

Booker T defeated Brian Adams

Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko defeated Chris Jericho & Eddie Guerrero

Lex Luger defeated Scott Steiner via disqualification

Ric Flair defeated Scott Hall

The Giant defeated Diamond Dallas Page

WCW World Champion Kevin Nash defeated the Giant and Bill Goldberg

Edited by bAzTNM#1